Friend In Texas Needs liver EXPERT Help please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ANNXYZ, May 24, 2006.

1. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

I have a friend in Texas who has a liver disease that supposedly is a result of the immune system attacking the liver and damaging the bile ducts . She REALLY needs a good doc , as she has doubts about hers. Unfortunately , I think the nervousness she is feeling is almost paralyzing her .

Anyone know of a first rate liver doctor in Texas ?
    It would be best if she finds a doc who focuses on liver issues and not general gastro .

Thanks !!!
  2. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

3. kriskwon

kriskwon New Member

4. kalina

kalina New Member

A hepatologist is a gastroenterologist who specializes in diagnosing and treating liver diseases.

Sorry I can't be more help. Best of luck to your friend.

Kalina
  5. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

6. dellalvn

dellalvn New Member

where at in texas? I will research. I live about 1-1/2 hrs away from Houston and although I have never seen doctors there, I would highly recommend that she go there.
    Let me know how far away she is. I live in Orange, Texas.
    Della
  7. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

She is near Tyler , but would gladly go to Houston. Her liver doc now is mentioning the word " transplant"
    and she is terrified . She knows she needs to see another doc for an opinion ( as she does not feel even sick and
    functions very well ! ) but seems to be avoiding the search. I know she is afraid , which is understandable .

If you have any sugggestions , I can pass them on to her . I think she would investigate them, but she is just somewhat paralyzed by anxiety .

I appreciate you willingness to help this very precious 54 yr old angel . She is a jewel of a person.
  8. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

Thank you for sharing this. Becky will be happy to do anything to avoid a transplant down the road .

I appreciate your suggestion!
  9. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

I can not find any place to buy bear bile on the internet . Where does your friend get it ?

I did find one article that says it has been used in chinese medicine and is good for liver protection!
  10. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

11. kalina

kalina New Member

Is your friend anywhere near Dallas? You could call UT (University of Texas) Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas and ask for a referral to a hepatologist there.

I hope your friend will be able to overcome her apprehension and realiize the importance of getting a second opinion if her current doctor is talking about a transplant.

Hope this helps!

Kalina
  12. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

I appreciate your suggestion.
  13. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

I will tell my friend Becky . She will be very interested . It is amazing that it helped someone as sick as he is . I appreciate your kindness !
    Do you know if it requires a prescription ?
    [This Message was Edited on 05/26/2006]
  14. lillyrose33

lillyrose33 New Member

I don't know if this helps but I know of one place
    St Luke's Episcopal Hospital
    6720 Bertner Ave.
    Houston, TX 77030

877-548-3775 St. Lukes Center for Liver Disease

Good luck.

Lillyrose
  15. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

am grateful . My friend really needs an expert and a biopsy w/ someone who specialized in liver disease .
    Bless you for caring !
  16. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

There is a synthetic bile acid available as a prescription drug in the US and Canada - it's name is Ursodiol (Urso for "Bear")and the indication is for the treatment of PBC.

Don't use real bear bile. Bears are killed illegally for their gallbladders to make black market medicine. It makes me sick to think that these innocent creatures are dying when this chemical, which can be synthesized in a laboratory is widely available.

The liver is a fascinating organ. Living-donor transplants have been very successful with livers. A healthy liver can stand losing a portion of itself - it will regenerate what is removed.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie

17. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

to MME Curie & Ouch . This info is VERY helpful , and I will pass it on to Becky . Bless you !