From CFIDS to Kidney Disease

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tgeewiz, Jan 20, 2011.

1. tgeewiz

tgeewiz Member

Hello all.

I have had CFIDS for over a decade and have been mostly homebound for the last 6 years (with no other diagnosis to explain my condition).

I the past 4-5 months, I have experienced intense itching all over and foam in my urine. I went to a nephrologist (kidney doc.) a few weeks ago and he did a 24 hour urine test. The results are that I have high protein in my urine as well as a low GFR. My Vitamin D and magnesium levels are low as well.

He said that I am likely in the early stages of kidney disease and possibly diabetes. My test results indicate stage 2.

I know that Dr. Paul St. Amand believes that CFIDS/Fibro are caused by the inability of the kidneys to remove phosphates.

So, has anyone else gone from CFIDS/Fibro to kidney disease?

2. spacee

spacee Member

So very sorry for this new health problem. Sounds awful.

I have been around this board since 2002, I think. I don't remember reading much
    about kidneys but I could be wrong.

Might try doing a search at the top kidneys.

I'm not sure what CFR is. I have a friend with lupus that has had protein in her urine.
    She has FM too.

Hope you get some better answers!!

3. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

I'm sorry, tgee. :( Unfortunately, having one illness doesn't exclude one from getting other illnesses. I just hope this wasn't a case of misdiagnosis to begin with!

I don't have low Vitamin D levels but I take it daily anyway because I'm rarely able to go outside and my diet isn't high enough in it. I think EVERYONE who has Fibromyalgia needs to be on magnesium. Chances are you might be having trouble with calcium, too, if your magnesium and Vitamin D levels are down, so possibly discuss with your doctor about taking a calcium and magnesium supplement (in a 1:1 ratio), lest muscle problems (twitches, cramping, spasms, and restlessness) start to occur.

I've had M.E. for 8 years and have no kidney trouble.

4. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

i had a weird thing happen, i was taking a lot of supps, and added a parasite cleanse( very strong) almost a month after i started the cleanse my kidney function went way bad!

the urologist said it was the kidney function of a big burly man, and not a healthy one! i stopped all the supps and retested and so far my kidney function has been normal, that was over a year ago.

you might take a look at the meds and other things your taking, you never know. it could be that simple

Good luck and i hope you get answers soon