From Effexor XR to Celexa? Anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Zzzsharn, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

I currently take 225mg of effexor xr- My company switched ins co's and the effexor is waaaay too expensive. But it covers generic brands and the pharmacist recommended either effexor non XR or Celexa.

I know that effexor withdraw is nasty and I'm dreading the switch for fear of experiencing any of it.

Anyone have any experince in this?

Thanks in advance
    zzzsharn
    [This Message was Edited on 09/29/2006]
  2. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I'm curious about this too.

sue
  3. carebelle

carebelle New Member

yes I have made this same switch recently. Because effexor was to hard on my stomach.
    So far Celexa has been much better on me . I think it has calmed me down more ,helps me sleep better and I think it has been helping my headaches. I am also on a very low dose I think my doctor will raise the dose hopefully it will take all my headaches away
  4. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

Yesterday was the first day I took the Celexa and not the effexor... I was taking 225mg of effexor, she switched me to 20 mg of celexa and I'm feeling horrible.

On a positive note I did sleep like a rock.. But now my tongue and lips feel numb and I'm dizzy - just like when I miss a dose of effexor...

This isn't going to be fun.

Zzz
  5. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

I hope your doctor is reducing your dose of Effexor gradually, even as you start on the Celexa.

225mg of Effexor is too high a high dose to just stop taking.

Please check with your doctor.

Best,

Roseblossom
  6. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

Hi Rose,

Nope, no weaning off effexor -Just to be sure I called my doctor again.... to make sure I should stop the effexor completly and start the celexa..

She said, yes. That I would feel "crappy" for a about a week..

But, honestly.. It's only been 1 day and I feel horrible. She also said that 20 mg is a high dose for Celexa.

She said if I have trouble breathing or swallowing to get to an ER or call her.

I'm not having a good feeling about this.

Sharon
  7. lucky

lucky New Member

If you were on 225mg of effexor, I believe that 20 mg,which is considered a low dose of Celexa, is probably not enough to make you feel good. May be if you increase to 40mg, you will feel better.

I have been taking Celexa for years, but 20 mg is much too low for me, and it was increased to 40mg a long time ago. But we all react differently to medications.

May be a call to your doctor will help to clarify the symptoms you are experiencing with the switch.

Best wishes, Lucky
  8. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

Thanks everyone for your posts!

When I called my doctors office, I spoke with one of the office girls, none of the doctors were in..

She told me that 20mg is the highest doseage of celexa?? I thought this to be strange as i've read that some people on here are on 40 to 60 mgs..

Yesterday I was in bed all day.. I had a horrible headache and am dizzy and feel very cloudy..

I hate to keep calling my doctor- but really, is there a need for me to feel THIS bad?

When I was speaking with the doctors office, I felt rushed off the phone, which didn't make me very happy..

I guess I could call again..

I'm going to look for razor queens post now.. to see if it can enlighten me at all.

Thanks again
    Sharon
  9. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

Thank you for your kind words Nancy..

I'm trying sooo hard to hang in there.. I keep thinking only a few more days, only a few more days...

I work for a bank and thank goodness we have Monday off for Columbus Day..

Keep the prayers comin!!!!

Sharon