From lortab to norco

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hagardreams, Apr 13, 2011.

1. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

Can anyone give me info on norco pain meds.

I saw my new doctor today, and he is taking me off of lortab 10/500, and putting me on norco. He said it had less tylenol in it.

Is this going to not work as good? I just wondered if anyone is taking norco and how it works for them.

Thanks, Julie
  2. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

As far as I know they are almost exactly the same as long as you are taking the same dose, 10mg. I do not know if Norco has less tylenol than Lortab or not. I can tell you that I have been on both and am now on Hydrocodone/Vicodin, 10/325 and it has less tylenol of course. It works much better for me than the Norco or Lortab and I think a big part of it is less tylenol so less tummy aches for me!
    I seem to remember that both the Norco and Lortab worked well for me. I can't remember why my dr. changed me to the Vicdin, maybe it's a stronger pain med which is what I needed. I have FMS, CFS, Panic Disorder, IBS and migraines. Let me know how the new med works for you and I'm sure that others can give you more advice. I hope this helps some.
    Good luck and God bless, Earthdog

P.S My name is Julie too! :)
    P.S. My name is Julie too!!
  3. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

Its nice to meet another Julie! I dont run into that many.

I am anxious to see how it works for me.

I have FM, CFS, Panic attacks, and IBS also. I have also been a type 1 diabetic for 38 years. I dont have many headachs, because I am on inderal to regulate my heart rate, and it is also given for migraines. I have been lucky with that!

The pain is really bad on my blood sugars. When I am hurting really bad, my blood sugar go out of control. Its a never ending battle!

Thanks for the info. I will post in a few days on how this norco works for me.

4. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

So glad that you repied back so soon! We have sooooo much in common. I am 52, married, 4 children and 1 grandson and you?
    Talk to you soon, Julie
  5. 3gs

3gs New Member

I just had my doc change me from lortab to norco because I was worried about the amount of tylenol. I hate it. For some reason it doesnt work as well!!

Not sure if just reducing the amt. of tylenol is why because I think its the same drug. go figure.

[This Message was Edited on 04/14/2011]
  6. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

A while back I made the switch and was very happy. The Lortab you're on is probably 7.5/500?
    Norco is probably 10/325? There is more of the hydrocodone in it and less Tylenol.
    IF you miss the added benefit of the Tylenol, you can always take on with it once in a while.

I was very happy with the switch. I got more relief.

NO they are not damaging long term as far as studies go now. The Tylenol is what causes problems. Dealing with the pain can be much more damaging. I have talked to my Dr. ad nauseum about this issue. You will not become "addicted" if you take as directed, your body may become dependant which is a completely normal body response.

MANY people need pain medication long term. When I was first diagnosed that was one of the thngs I was told - I'd probably need something for life. I did not take that as a golden rule by any means, but as a "someone gets this and I know there is 'some' relief out there".

You have a LONG way to go before you get to any kind of ceiling (there isn't one) with pain meds.
  7. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I was on lortab 10/500. I guess that is why I am so concerned about the norco at 10/325. I bought them today, and it was $71 for the script. $16 higher than the lortabs. (sounds like gas prices)!

I have not tried one yet. I am waiting until I have a little less pain, and then try it.

I am not worried about addiction at all! My first doctor told me that with fibro, I am going to be on pain meds, probably the rest of my life. As far as my liver, I am really not that worried about it either. As I told my new doctor, life is about QUALITY not QUANTITY! Besides I have given my life back to God, and he is in control when its my time to die. I am not worried at all! I have family that is on my case about the liver thing, but they dont feel my pain, and I know if they did, they wouldnt say a word about it. I do appreciate the concern from them, but its just not a big deal.

Thanks to all who replied. If these dont work, the doctor said he would re-write my script for more lortabs.
  8. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Atta girl! I like your attitude. You may not notice much difference at all. I am currently on oxycodone with no tylenol at all. To me, it's the same as with it. HOWEVER, you are allowed to have more because of the daily limit of tylenol your body is supposed to have. That was the upside for me. I needed to take my medication more often than every 8 hrs (or whatever it was then). With the 325mgs of Tylenol, you can have up to 12 per day, as opposed to 8 (of the 500 mgs)

When I first saw (one visit by the way) pain mgmt Dr. - she said Norco was stronger than Lortab, then percocet.... I think we're all different in what works for us. I couldn't take Lortabs at all. They made me sick. I always thought "now why would that be!" Who knows, another part of the mystery.

Good Luck - sounds like you have a good Dr.!