From Lortab to Oxycodone-withdraw?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hagardreams, Apr 20, 2012.

1. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I had a post, but could not find it.
    I took my first oxycodone around 5 am this morning. Now it is almost 5 pm, and I am shaky, weak, and the oxycodone is not working.
    I was on 2 of the 10/500 lortabs. I started taking 1-10/650 oxycodone tabs, and they just dont seem to be doing anything for the pain.
    I kept hearing how the oxycodone was stronger, but it is not doing much for me. The lortabs werent either.
    I did notice that after my gallbladder got removed in Dec. the lortabs quit working as well. Could that be a cause?
    All I know right now is I feel like everything I own it going to fall apart, even my mind. I dont remember feeling this bad, ever.
    I hope someone can help me understand why I feel this way, and why something stronger isnt even working. I am so scared!
    [This Message was Edited on 04/20/2012]
  2. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

Oxycodone Versus Hydrocodone: The Differences

Oxycodone is generally a stronger painkiller, compared with hydrocodone (although some people may find hydrocodone to work better, due to individual differences in how people react to medications).

This must be me! All I know is that the first 3 tablets did nothing. The last one I took helped about 20%. My biggest issue is to find something that I can take with lortab, and talk the doctor into giving me the lortab back. He gave me 2 or 3 different meds to go along with the lortab, and none of them worked. There has to be something out there that is going to work for me. Otherwise, I will have to check into a nursing home, and I really dont want to do that. I have been in bed 90% of the last 2 days, and even that hurts.
  3. wangotango

wangotango New Member

the oxycodone is a different level of pain meds, the hydocodone is lower. lorotab does not have oxycodone in ti. i am on 200mgs of morophine (mscontin) it works all day.i have been on these pills for 15years and i had to quit taking anything with ancetameniphen in it , it filled my liver up and my chloresterol went way up.
    the oxyconten made me crazy, i could not control how i took it. so i went on morophine. good luck bill m
  4. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I just wish I could understand why if the oxycodone is stronger than the lortab, its not taking away even half of the pain.

The lortab was getting to where it worked less and less, but it still killed the pain more than the oxycodone has. I know only been 2 days, but it should be doing better than it is. I can hardly tell that I have taken anything with the oxycodone.

I didnt like morphine, I had it when I was in the hospital in Dec to have my gallbladder removed. It did work on the pain, but too much, at times. Then when they took me off of it, I went into withdraw after only 3 days being on it, and cried and cried off and on for days afterwards. I said I would never take it again unless I was going to be on it the rest of my life.

5. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

Over the years I wondered why it was that I could take a Lortab 10 and still be awake and functioning and have my pain eased, but if my dear friend were to do that she would sleep for at least 12 hours or longer.
    No two of us are alike and we don't all asimialte are meds at the same rate. Some pain meds seem to feel stronger then they are really a lower dosage medication, My Mom is on LOrtab 10's and was at one time also takeing perocet 5mg. But she said that the lortab did just the same as the " stronger" perocet did so she stopped taking it and is now just on the lortab 10/650 but she cuts them in half and then in half again. She has a hard time swollowing pills and I think she should just cut them in half and not mash them up. But her doctor says it is ok.

We are all unique and function differently how we react to our fibro cmp, and arthritis are all unique to each of us.
    I have learned the hard way take the pain med that works the best for you and stick with it. If you are using it right you are not going to keep encreaseing it. There may come a time when you need to so then you talk to your doctor about it. If for you the lortab works better than the perocet then take the lortab and don't stress over it.

Hope this helps .
    I stopped taking the hydrocodone and oxycondone and went to mscontin and was put on a really high dosage and for a time I really used the high dosage but after a while I was not taking it as much so I finally had my md reduce the amount I take, I went from taking 5, 100 mg mscontin pills a day to now taking 2 ,60 mg mscontin. It took about a year for me to get to the dosage I take now but I wanted to go slowly as not to have problems with withdrawl's. So far I have not had any problems. I still have pain and nothing really takes the pain away . I don't think there is a pain med out there that would ease this pain. I wish there was. That way I could exercise and lose some weight so that I would not need such a stong pain med for my oesteoarthritis. Who knows how my fibro would react to my exerciseing. But that is me and how I react to my meds.

I hope that you get things all worked out. Don't stress over it, take what helps you the most and don't sweat the small stuff.
  6. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I had been on lortabs since 2005. I started out with 4 of them a day. I went to 8 a day 2 years and 4 months ago. I feel like I did pretty good not jumping into too much and making them last.
    I started noticing that back in December after I had my gallbladder removed, the lortabs were not working as good. I stuck with them until now, and finally gave in and took the percocet.
    This is very scary to me. I know that one day I could not have anything to take, because even morphine will wear off some day. I really cant believe that I am still alive, being that I have had type 1 diabetes since 1973, 39 years now. I have beaten the odds. I just know that I need my pain taken care of now. I have not eaten dinner in 5 days. I did eat 2 and 1/2 sandwhiches over the last 4 days, so that is something. I just dont feel like eating.
    Thanks for all who replied. I really enjoy looking forward to hearing from others that understand this ungodly pain.

7. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

Hi Julie ~

I've not been on here in a long time, but I am a long time member. I too take oxycodone for breakthru pain, and oxycontin twice a day to control my pain. Unfortunately, both drugs just keep the edge off.

I've been on pain meds since the early 90s. Thought it was just going to be a temporary thing, but I was wrong. I was diagnosed with FM/CF in '97 and then broke my pelvis in 2000 and had two horribly botched back surgeries; one in '01 and the second in '02. I also have (I found out from MRI a few months ago), eleven bulging disks in my spine. Yeah, it's going to be a loooong time until I get off these meds. Think?

I've never been on Lortabs, but I did try the morphine for a while. Didn't care for it much; it seemed to make me nauseous most of the time. Didn't need that side effect to cope with when the pain often killed my appetite anyway. I switched back to the oxycontin, and I finally agreed to up my dosage on that, I'm taking the 80s now, twice a day, and the generic oxy IR, 15 mg for break-thru pain.

I fought against taking the higher doses for years. I didn't want to get to that place, know what I mean? My doctor suggested it several times -- know what dumb little me did instead? I asked to have my dosage DEcreased instead! Know what else? I was wrong!! Even on these higher dosages I still have pain, just not as much. I guess I'll have to handle tomorrow when it comes, right?

One thing I might suggest to you is that you ask to be prescribed the oxycodone alone. I did that maybe 6 years ago. The medication on the other side of the / is just tylenol and that can do a number on your liver. Why take it if you don't have to, right? Besides, for me, I also get chronic migraines and take Fioricet almost every day; Fioricet has tylenol in it as well and I wanted to limit my intake of that particular liver-toxic med as much as possible. The generic Oxy IR comes in 5mg doses and the next step up is 15mg -- I know this because that's what I take now. My doc originally wrote it for 10mg, that's how I found out the next step up was 15mg.

I hope your doc is someone that you can talk with about these issues. I'm blessed to have a very caring doctor who is very open to dialogue. That's really important to me. Everyone should have a doctor who cares enough to talk to you. Let us know how you do, okay?

8. tortis

tortis New Member

Hello,i just happen to see youre message,i was on oxy for 5 years and suddenly my doctor died,i was so scared,i found another doctor but he refused to fill the scripts,well i will tell you what happened.I had to go into withdrawal,i was taken in an ambulance because i thought i was on fire,i was burning fro the inside out,and i am telling you if i ever thought i would ever have to go through that again,i would rather die. I screamned thats how bad it was.and this has just happened 2 wks. i am pleading with you,please take my advice and dont go to narcotics,there are other meds out there.If i can ever help you or any one else,i can only say that withdrawal is the same as you see it on t,v. i know fibro is hell on earth,i live with it every day and have for 12 years.take care. Rosemary
  9. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I finally got into see the NP this morning. That was a waste of my time. This guy was new, his first day on the job.
    Anyway after talking to him for over 25 minutes, he said that all he could do was to give me antidepressants. Paxil is his drug of choice.
    I have tried Cymbalta, Lyrica, ect and none of them work on me. All they do is make me sick.
    So here I am in ungodly pain, and I just dont know what to do. I cant get into see my regular doctor until June 8th. I dont think I am going to make it.
    My blood sugars are in the 280 to 420 range, and I am not even eating. I know that is from the pain. I did this before I got settled on the lortabs. Once I got my pain under control, my blood sugars got right.
    All I know is that I am just about ready to sign into the mental ward. I cannot live with this pain. I have no life, period. I have no life.