? from my mom about loss of body hair...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by seaview, Oct 5, 2002.

1. seaview

seaview New Member

My mom was asking me last nite if the question of the loss of body hair has ever come up on this site. She does not have access to internet and as some of you know she depends on me for her source of info. I searched and I couldn't find anything about it. She doesn't know if it is linked to FM,age(shes 62)or something else. She has lost all the hair on her body including eyebrows,legs and so on but still does have hair only on her head. I wouldn't mind losing some of my body hair(lol) but I know this really bothers her. So, if anyone has input or knowledge aboout this I'd love to hear it. She is suffering so much physically with this disease.She lives just far enough away that it makes it hard to see her much plus she gets worn out with all the commotion my crew brings wherever it goes.I also am so tired that I am just happy to make it through each day. I can only pray this stops with me and none of my children have to deal with this. ok, offthe original ? .......will be looking forward to your responses.......Thanks for your time as always......Kathleen
  2. seaview

seaview New Member

My mom was asking me last nite if the question of the loss of body hair has ever come up on this site. She does not have access to internet and as some of you know she depends on me for her source of info. I searched and I couldn't find anything about it. She doesn't know if it is linked to FM,age(shes 62)or something else. She has lost all the hair on her body including eyebrows,legs and so on but still does have hair only on her head. I wouldn't mind losing some of my body hair(lol) but I know this really bothers her. So, if anyone has input or knowledge aboout this I'd love to hear it. She is suffering so much physically with this disease.She lives just far enough away that it makes it hard to see her much plus she gets worn out with all the commotion my crew brings wherever it goes.I also am so tired that I am just happy to make it through each day. I can only pray this stops with me and none of my children have to deal with this. ok, offthe original ? .......will be looking forward to your responses.......Thanks for your time as always......Kathleen
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Menopause will definitely slow down body hair growth, and make leg shaving a rare occassion (yeah!), but with loss of the eyebrows, I would suspect hypothyroid. Please get your mom to a doctor for a full thryoid panel test soon. Many of us have thyroid problems as we get older and left untreated, it can cause bone loss and FMS symptoms.
    Best wishes,
    Klutzo
  4. Fairyeyes

Fairyeyes New Member

I know some malnurished, underweight people who experience this as well. How is her nutrition?
  5. cpalance

cpalance New Member

Man, menopause didn't do that for me. Darn I am tired of shaving.

Cindy
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Sorry you didn't get the benefit! I went from shaving daily, and twice a day in summer (I live in Florida), to shaving underarms once a week, and legs once every 2 or 3 wks. It says in a book I was given that this often happens after menopause, but I guess not to everyone.
    I also got rid of my migraines, after 33 yrs. of suffering.
    However, my weight moved up to my belly and bust, which is very unhealthy, and I have zero sex drive.
    It's a he** of a trade-off.
    Klutzo
  7. cpalance

cpalance New Member

I did get rid of the migranes. I told the doctors all those years it had to do with hormones but noone would believe me.
    I don't have any sex drive either. Believe me I never thought that would happen to me, but I could really care less. My husband isn't too happy about it though.
    Isn't life wonderful.
    Cindy
  8. PMangels

PMangels New Member

Has your mom been to a dermatologist? I've had the severe problem with losing a great deal of hair on my head but none elsewhere. I have doctored with a Dermatologist in the past for seborrheic dermatitis. He said I am lucky because he has seen people with that, lose their eye lashes and eyebrows so I should feel lucky. He put me on an antibiotic and a special RX shampoo. It took quite a few years for me to get that under control. I still have to work at it to keep it controlled.

I'm dealing with some extra hair loss right now that I can't explain. It could be stress for me or FM. I've always had a problem with this anyway.

I'm with Klutzo about having them do a complete thyroid test on her. Hair loss is usually one of the first signs of a thyroid problem. Just a thought.

Arlene
  9. seaview

seaview New Member

because she had a goiter in 1970 and had her thyroid removed. She has it checked regularly and their have been times when it has been off. One thing that did catch my attention is the malnourishment. She always tells me how she never eats(or has to force herself)even when she cooks for her husband. That could be a key. I will bring all of the above to her attention.
    I only hope for some hairloss from menopause. That would be really nice. Already have the zero sex drive:(. Anyhow, thanks to all who responded....I knew I would get something from all your wonderful minds to share with her.
    Blessings to you all......Kathleen
  10. Gardengal

Gardengal New Member

I don't have the severity of hair loss that your mother does, but every month for the week or so before my period I lose a lot of hair from my hair. It's must a minor annoyance, considering everything else, but I feel that somehow it must tie in. I have read this just goes with FM. Whenever I've brought this up with a GP, they just dismiss this, saying "every loses so many hairs a day." Well, duh. I know the difference between regular hair loss and hair falling out of my head all day long and picking it off my sweater and out of my bra constantly (try to do that discretely in public!).

Luckily, I don't have thinning hair, just lots of little hairs growing back all the time. Oh, well.

I've been seeing an accupuncturist for several weeks and he gave me some chinese herbs for this, but they did not help much.

I don't know if this helps you any with your mother. Sounds like her issue is a whole other can of corn, so to speak. Good luck - I pray she finds an answer.

Aso, off the topic, I also pray this stops with me and my daugher does not develop this as some point. So far, just really bad eczema (she's almost 10), allergies and a very sensitive personality. Good luck - Amy
  11. kadywill

kadywill New Member

HER hair and mine both! I shave my legs and underarms daily. I'm looking forward to the day when this slows down! I went off of my Premarin a couple of months ago and I'm taking Soy Isoflavones and Black Cohosh, but Menopause hasn't changed the hair growth pattern for this old gal! I remember when my mother was in her sixties and she said that she'd found some good things about growing older; she told me that she didn't have to shave anymore and even if she did have bodyhair, she was at the point where she didn't worry about those young girl things! She was so cool, my mom......

Love,
    Kady