From Neurontin to Topamax Lost 15 Pounds Already

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kaiasmom, Mar 31, 2006.

1. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

WOW, what a difference one medication can make!! I had gained probably about 30 pounds on Neurontin & had no energy at all. Not to mention the fact that it was not helping me with any of my fibro symptoms.

So, I came off if the Neurontin VERY slowly - actually still taking 1/2 of a 300 mg tablet 1 x a week - and started taking Topamax about 3 weeks ago.

I only started on 25 mg at night & worked up to 25 mg at night & in the morning. That's where I am now - I know I may need to keep going up as that is still a very low dose & I don't think it is helping the fibro yet either, but the weight loss is awesome!!

My fiance's theory is that my lack of energy over the last few months was due to the extra weight I was carrying around. And he may be right - I have had much more energy lately.

AND, my wedding dress fits much better now then the last time I tried it on (See my post titled 15 days until my BIG day). So, at least there are SOME things to be thankful for!

Sorry, just had to share. For me, weight loss has always been a huge struggle. My mom has always struggled with her weight & it has always been very easy to put it on & very hard to take it off, and considering that I can't really excersize much right now, I probably wouldn't be losing much otherwize!

Happy Friday everyone!

Leanne
  2. crdmkr2004

crdmkr2004 New Member

Congratulations on your weight loss and also congratulation on your upcoming marriage. I am just curious as to what dose of Neurontin you were on and for how long. Also, how long did it take you to wean off of it and were you taken both the Topomax and the Neurontin at the same time. Sorry for all the questions but I just started Neurontin about a month ago and my Rheumy just increased it from 900 mg / day to 1800 mg per day and said to go to 2400mg if I need to. So now I am worried that I am going to gain weight to. I struggle with this as well and don't need the extra pounds.
    Take care
    Sandy
  3. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

Well, let's see if I can remember your questions. First of all, everyone doesn't gain weight on Neurontin. I did, but that doesn't mean you will. I was up to 600 mg 3x a day, so 1800 mg. I took it for about 6-8 months & didn't start the Topamax until I was down to 1/2 a Neurontin 2x a week, so hardly any.

So, I would give it a fair try. It has helped a lot of people, and you may be one of the lucky ones! I was also told that it can take quite large doses to have an effect & it may even be that I wasn't taking enough to do much for me. With the weight gain, I just wasn't willing to go any higher.

Good luck!

Leanne
  4. mary124

mary124 New Member

I was on Neurontin for 3 years, taking 900/mg at night - didn't gain any weight. I had to switch over to Topamax last year. I have lost about 35lbs.
    Now my doctors are worried that I'm losing too much weight!