From Sunday's Parade Magazine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mollystwin, Jan 22, 2007.

1. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

When ‘feeling tired’ signals something more
    On The Web
    CFIDS Association of America

CDC: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

The cause of chronic fatigue syndrome remains unknown

By Dr. Isadore Rosenfeld

Published: January 21, 2007
    There are more than a million Americans who never seem to get a good night’s sleep. They wake up exhausted and stay that way the rest of the day, and napping doesn’t really help. Many are not only chronically tired but also suffer from persistent joint or muscle pain, a sore throat or headache. Puzzled, worried and understandably depressed, they want to know why they feel this way. After innumerable blood tests, X-rays and scans, they’re told “there is nothing wrong” and are often referred to a psychiatrist. The implication, of course, is that the problem is “all in your head.”

This condition has a name—chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS)—but no known cause or cure. And there are no specific diagnostic lab tests. Instead, diagnosing chronic fatigue syndrome comes only after your doctor has ruled out other conditions that can cause similar symptoms, such as low thyroid function, sleep apnea, lupus, depression, the side effects of medication and chronic disease of the kidneys or liver.

Chronic fatigue syndrome affects more women than men and is most prevalent in individuals who are in their 40s and 50s. However, it also can manifest itself in teenagers. It is diagnosed after an individual has had unexplained, persistent fatigue for at least six months, along with other symptoms, such as joint and/or muscle pain, tender or enlarged lymph nodes, and poor memory and concentration (see below). There also may be recurring abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea, bloating, night sweats, chest pain, shortness of breath and a chronic cough. Although these symptoms sometimes clear up on their own as mysteriously as they began, they can continue indefinitely.

Recently, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention—which believes that as many as 800,000 Americans might have CFS but don’t know it—urged doctors to consider the disorder seriously and suggested possible treatments for symptoms.

It’s not clear what triggers CFS, but some researchers believe there may be a combination of causes, including different viruses, a faulty immune system and a fluctuation in hormonal levels. Genetic and environmental factors also could be involved.

Still, there are steps you can take to feel better. For example, painkillers can ease a headache, as well as muscle and joint pain; antispasmodics and antidiarrheal preparations can relieve various gastrointestinal complaints, and an antidepressant can improve mood, relieve pain and help you sleep.

You also can try gentle exercise, acupuncture, massage, deep breathing, meditation, biofeedback, yoga and tai chi. However, always inform your doctor before trying any herbal remedies, some of which may be harmful or interact with other medications.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do You Have These Symptoms?

A diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome requires unexplained, persistent fatigue for six months and at least four of the following symptoms:

• Unrefreshing night’s sleep.

• Joint pain without redness or swelling.

• Muscle pain.

• Tender or enlarged lymph nodes.

• Sore throat.

• Headache that’s new or more severe.

• Poor memory and concentration.

• Prolonged exhaustion after activity.
  2. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

told me about the article....we don't get Parade magazine anymore. Too bad- I always liked the health updates in it. Thanks for submitting this.
  3. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

I told my husband I was so happy to see that we were finally recognized, and that they were encouraging others to get a "real" diagnosis.

(well, good luck with that, eh?- LOL!)

I hope that someone, somewhere can be helped by all of this. I mostly hope my daughter will not have to get this before there is a cure.

Thanks for the post for all who did not get Parade!
  4. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I appreciate your posting this article, thank-you.

It's great when members share information this way, it helps us all to stay up-to-date with what's out there.

God bless,
    Anne Theresa
  5. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I don't get Parade anymore, but found this on the web after it was mentioned in my CFIDS newsletter.

Bump for others to read.
  6. FM58

FM58 New Member

Dar,

Thanks for the post! I don't get Parade Magazine. I've been looking for someone who get's it. So I'm so glad you posted it! So glad this was in Parade for so many people to see. We need more coverage like this. Thank you Parade & Dr. Isadore Rosenfeld!

Thank you!

Patty