Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sharon, May 1, 2008.

1. Sharon

Sharon New Member

After much thought, I think the need for me to post this reminder on several issues is necessary.

First, ProHealth is a business, not "just" a site with message boards and chat rooms. Because of that business, we have the PRIVILEGE of this wonderful resource of information and support.

No one sits 24/7, constantly monitoring either the chats nor the boards, as they do have other priorities. They assume that their patrons understand the difference between what is appropriate or inappropriate behaviour. If something inappropriate is going on, please notify with an email to FORUMSUPPORT@PROHEALTH.COM .

Second, most of the moderators, including myself, have FM, CFS, Depression, or other illnesses. We do not work for ProHealth, we volunteer our time that we are able to be online to assist ProHealth in monitoring both boards and chatrooms. If you see Sharon or Carlene posting, you will know that we are long time members, looking for the same information and support that everyone else is seeking. There are ProHealth employees who monitor things here as well, in addition to their other responsibilities(Jorgie,Holly,etc). Now that you are aware of this, I am sure we won't see "where are the moderators when you need them?" or "why isn't this post moved?". We are the same place each of you might be if you are ill, or if you are attending to your responsibilities.

Third, I ask each of you to PLEASE read the rules you agreed to when you registered. I understand as someone who deals with the "fibro fog" that sometimes it is hard to remember everything-it helped me to print them off and keep them handy. Here is the link: .

And finally, I want to ask everybody to please remember that it is ok to not agree all the time, its ok to agree to disagree. Let us all just try to do it civilly. I always go back to the old adage-if you cannot say something nice, just don't say it.

We ALL need to have a place where we can feel safe to ask questions, to learn, to give and to receive support. For many of our friends here, this is their ONLY means of support, their lifeline, in learning to live with this
    (or these) illness(es). I would not want them to lose that over petty bickering or personal attacks.

Thank you for reading through my long windedness here, I just would like to see the comraderie, the kindnesses, the sharing and the understanding that seems all too often to be missing. That is what this site had when I first found it around 9 or 10 years ago, and what made me stay all this time. Together we can keep this site the best on the web.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{soft hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

[This Message was Edited on 05/01/2008]
  2. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Thanks for all the good work you and the other moderators do.

3. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Maybe it would help if you didn't try to absorb the rules all in one go. I know I have trouble with stuff like that. I must admit that I really hadn't absorbed the rules when I joined and said I had. I just couldn't, it would have taken me several days just to sign up!

Why not copy and paste them into a word document and leave it on your desktop. That way you can make the type big if that helps. You can put in really big para breaks if that helps. And, they are there to consume in bit sized chunks bit by bit.

Take your time and just return to them for a few minutes whenever you can.

I suggest this because, as Sharon said, the volunteer moderators really do struggle with the same issues we all do and I would imagine that it would be a pretty big job for Sharon to rewrite the rules. My brain hurts just thinking about it.

I hope this is helpful!
  4. RatsWife

RatsWife New Member

Stated so clearly! Thanks! Sharon, didn't mean you guys needed to do more work but I can see where my post might have implied/inferred that. And JAM (our pastor's initials and really fine priest, too) I'm taking your advice -- a simple solution. Once again, thanks big time!

Peace and Gentle Hugs,
  5. Sharon

Sharon New Member

I just wanted to thank everyone for their positive responses. It means a lot to know that there is support, and that others want to keep this place the absolute safest and best that we can. I've said it before, will say it takes ALL of us bonding together to do it.

I havent gone to a big extent to fill out my bio, nor do I post often, but I did put my "medical resume" in my profile, so that if any of you are curious, you'll soon see that I am just one of you.

Thanks again!
    {{{{{{{{{{soft hugs}}}}}}}}}}}
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This needs to be said again from time to time. This website is sooooo busy, with so many new members, that a reminder to abide by the rules is necessary. The overwhelming majority of our members are kind and decent people. We all suffer from illnesses which can take their toll on us, so we have to constantly edit ourselves so that we do not cause undue stress in our discussions. We have had some wonderful, insightful discussions and they may even be lively. We can all learn from such discussion. What we can learn nothing from are heated arguements which cause us to become defensive. So...can we please keep it civil and treat one another with respect.

There are some people who suffer mentally and use the internet to disrupt others. They have no place here and should be reported to ProHealth using the e-address given above. The moderators and administrative folks at ProHealth work very hard to keep this a safe place for us to come.

Finally, as Sharon stated, it is the business at ProHealth which allows them to provide this valuable website for us with its message boards and library. A large percent of the profits from the sales at ProHealth are used for this purpose and also for research into, and advocacy for, our illnesses. I highly recommend ProHealth products because they are very reasonable, the customer service is great, and the products are of the highest quality. That they provide us with this website is just icing on the cake.

Thank you to our moderators and the people at ProHealth. Your hard work on our behalf does not go unnoticed. We appreciate your efforts.

Love, Mikie
  7. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

8. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

With my fog, I have trouble reading and retaining rules, so am not sure if 'bump' is the correct title here (I think it means 'ditto').

Since we are all in pain of some sort, reading volatile posts may be difficult. PLEASE just pass over them! Sometimes we are cranky without meaning to be, and the writer of the post may have been in pain also.

As far as posting brand names of things you use, that should be ok because the reader does not have to purchase and use that same brand. It is just a recommmendation of 'what worked for me'.

Sorry for being long winded, but I am a former adult education teacher and had to deal with many issues like these in the past, still like to think of myself as an 'educator' although the fibro fog doesn't allow it.

Good luck with your DD.

9. soozan48

soozan48 New Member

it is so difficult to treat others the way you would like to be treated? I don't know if this is the current "issue" but I know that every now and then we have to be "reminded" about forum and chat rules.
  10. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Bump moves a post back to the top of the first page so others can read it I just wish they would!

11. Anne7680

Anne7680 New Member

A very good post. You moderators have a tough job but it is certainly appreciated.

However, for some reason I can not get to the site with the rules. Anyone else have this problem?

12. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

that there are people "out there" that are mentally ill and just come to chat boards to hurt people with their arguements and words. I guess when you are as *mentally confused* as a lot of us are, it just doesn't make sense.

Most of the people here are well-intentioned, albiet sometimes very vocal in their opinions. But, I think it's important to remember that MOST everyone here is in the same boat, or has stood close to where you are standing.

Also, the written word can be interpreted wrong, and that can cause some confusion as well.

All that being said, I have been here for a long time, read a lot, learned a lot, and in some small way hope I've helped even one person.

The moderators have always been good, I think pretty fair, and knowing that you're *one of us* is nice, too.

13. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

bump, bump, bump :)
  14. Doober

Doober New Member

a quick note to you Sharon and the other moderators.

Most of the other posts have touched upon things I would have written.

Thank you for your time and energy you put into this.

It is good to know that the moderators are just people like us and understand us. Not some web master sitting at their computer all day.

So again thank you.
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

16. webintrig

webintrig New Member

bumping for the mod ya keep up the good work...webby!
  17. Juloo

Juloo Member

When the moderators post a "Please Read", could they also put the posting date in the title? The only date that shows up on the main board page is the date that the thread was last bumped. I try to keep up with what the moderators post, but I find myself clicking on the same post over and over in my fog -- if there was a date in the title, I might remember that I'd read it. Or (maybe 'and'?) in the post, could there be a brief descrirption of what the post is about? Like "Please Read: Board rules" and the date. Thanks.
  18. Juloo

Juloo Member

That was a really fast response. That will help with my darned brain fog!
  19. Shalome1990

Shalome1990 New Member

I am glad to have read this. I have read a few threads where I could not believe what was written, and I just joined so it does make you afraid to voice an opinion.

I know that with my fatigue, I tend to be to quick to respond and people think I am mad and/or rude all the time. I think it is because I do not have the energy to spell things out, but I have realized it hasn't gotten me where I want to be, and most of the time in a position that I don't want to be in!!!

So, if you don't agree with others, it is ok! We all spend so much time trying to figure out how we got this, what will make us better, begging, praying that something will come along. With all the research and so many symptoms we are all going to come to different conclusions. However, if I know something works for YOU, I want to have the opportunity to hear what you have to say!! JUST IN CASE IT HELPS ME TOO!!!

Love you all!!
  20. Scapper

Scapper New Member

Thank you all for EVERYTHING you do here!

I would be lost without this LIFELINE.

Thank you also for posting this "reminder" -- good stuff!