FRONTAL LOBE dysfunction causes body pains READ

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cromwell, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I am reading Temple Grandins new book and here is something really interesting:

"Chronic pain is associated woith WIDELY SPREAD PREFRONTAL(lobe) HYPERACTIVITY."

"Psychiatrists have know about this connection for years. In the 1940's and 50's the idea that pre frontal lobe hyperactivity meant ACTIVE PAIN was so well established that a few doctors began treating severe and intractable chronic pain by surgically disconnecting the patients frontal lobes from the rest of the brain(leucotomy) which leave the frontal lobes intact but disconnected.

A couple of days after the surgery the effect on pain patients suffering was miraculous. Patients who had been completely disabled by pain were up and about walking and doing the things they used to do prior to the pain. The recoveries were so dramatic that Moniz, who invented the surgery got the Nobel prize for this in 1949.

Strangely the patients actually had not recovered in the truest sense-they said the pain was actually still there, but not the suffering from it! They had lost their FEELINGS about the pain-the patients all felt fine(Dr Damasio describes this in his book"descartes' Error") a man who was in so profound suffering he was crouched, almost immobile for fear of triggering further pain. Two day after surgery he was sitting up, playing cards and was completely relaxed.

The had the pain but were not at all bothered by it. The y no longer needed morphne, but an asprin. What they were feeling was what the rest of people feel when they have pain so mild it can be ignored. However, their pain responses to things like being stuck with a pin remained normal.

Therefore, the conclusion is that the frontal lobes censor pain responses. Those of us in chronic pain have frontal lobes that are overreacting to the pain signals and thus creating huge suffering, when another person with normally functioning frontal lobes would only feel mild discomfort instead of massive pain.

The book is called "Animals in Translation".

I think that the fact that this effect has been known and treated more than 50 years ago is one of the most important things I have ever read about our pain. It validates that our pain is beyond our control.

Leucotomies carry risks and side effects. I am not sure what they are, but some doctors can moderate the way our frontal lobes react by using magnets-in fact curently, I know, that psychiatric disorders are being treated by MRI's as part of research that is having good results.

Interestingly, my DH with head trauma, has frontal lobe seizure activity all the time. I see IMPORTANT information here for all of those in chronic pain that is being largely overlooked.

Love Anne C
  2. caroleye

caroleye New Member

You can change your frontal lobe waves via neurofeedback.

Biofeedback has been used on ADD kids for years with great documented success.

My left frontal actually helped my mood & energy. But my Theta/Delta waves are what will help my pain & sleep. They are the "turn off" waves. (serotonin & GABA).

Brain therapy is becoming huge. Google Neurofeedback & there's a ton of info.

I know it's working for me, as I'm having to reduce my thyroid dose, due to my increased energy.

LIGHT*******carole
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

As I cannot find it on the board only profile aND i THINK OTHERS MAY FIND THIS USEFUL.

ac
  4. mejlee

mejlee New Member

I was being tested in my neurologist office for possible brain injury. One of the tests was an EEG? (sorry the fog won't let me think of the name) it showed some possibility seizures. They sent me to take a more through in office test which had the same out come.

Next they made me wear an ambulatory EEG pack. It came back with “inconclusive” readings (as explained to me meant not confirmed or denied seizures.) So they made me do it again, wear the ambulatory pack again. It again came back with the same result, inconclusive.

The reason I’m telling this long story is that there were two areas of my brain that had the suspicious activity and one of them was the frontal lobe.

I keep hoping that one day some brilliant researcher will gather all of the info. From all of the tests we have to take and put it together.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The reason Klonopin helps with pain is because it stops the pain messages to the brain. This info might help explain why. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Love, Mikie
  6. caroleye

caroleye New Member

When I hit the GABA site, I just "stopped" my Klonopin cold turkey (unconsciously). But had to start it back again when my provider left for vacation.

So I know there are two sites (for me) C3/T3 that will help me at least reduce my meds.

Studies have shown people going off their meds completely. Just have to have good people who know what the sites are to match your symptoms.

LIGHT**********carole