Frustrated at work

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JPach007, Nov 8, 2005.

1. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

Today my boss (I'm a Vet tech for those that dont know), tells me after I wrote her a letter stating I needed my weekends off to heal and rest, and that I couldnt walk dogs that pull me (with a Dr's note)...she tells me she is going to have to have me continue working Saturday mornings and that she'll give me Monday morning off instead or something...
    Is it just me getting bent out of shape because I didnt get my way, or do I have a right to be mad?
  2. Wassy

Wassy New Member

I think you have a right to be mad as having half a day off won't help. Try and make your boss understand that you will be a better worker and she will get the best out of you if you get the weekend off as you will be in better health. I had the same problem with my old boss when I requested regular working hours. When I explained that I would work much better and that I would be able to offer my full working capability if I worked regular hours she managed to re jig my working day and she noticed the difference straight away. Unfortunatly I couldn't carry on and have had to take on a part time job instead but I feel much better for it.
  3. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

No choice. I have a family to support, my wife does not work and we live in an insanely expensive area.
    I feel so trapped. So many days I am so exhausted that I can hardly keep my eyes open.

But what else can I do? I cannot afford to make less as it is monsterly expensive here and cannot change careers for the same reason.

Only option would be to move somewhere really cheap.

Life is tough with a disability like FM.

Hang in there..you are not alone.
  4. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

While you have your health to look after, she has a business to run. Is she justified in saying that she 'has to' have you continue working Saturday morning? If you are getting Monday morning off, isn't that a reduction in hours? She may have thought that was a compromise that would work for both of you.

If it does not work for you, I don't think you are justified in getting mad. I do think you are justified in finding a new job that will work for you. At least having Monday morning off will make it easier to do job interviews!

I suspect that you are 'getting bent out of shape' because you are ill and cannot do the work that you once did. Don't displace your anger at your illness onto your boss.
  5. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

It sounds like your boss is trying to compromise, won't you still have the same amount of time off if you get monday morning instead of saturday morning?
    It's very hard to work if you are exhausted and in pain, did she at least understand that you can not walk dogs that pull you?

Phoebe
  6. Bambi

Bambi New Member

off. Is there some reasonw why Sat. and Sun. instead of Sun. and Mon. work better for you..husband off on weekend or something? Otherwise you have same amount of time off. I know weekends just "feel" different but they are just days like any other really.

Manwithfibro, I feel very bad for you. Can you talk to your wife about making a lifestyle change? Since you have to support the family she should be open to scaling back and accepting
    a cheaper place I think, to make life easier for you. I know I would do it, have done it trying to make it easier for my husband. I've been a housewife all my life, so made many sacrifices
    to be able to do it and realized my lack of income was harder on my husband. I have done things, or did, to supplement when I could for years,
    but never did steady (can count on) work. Talk to your wife!
  7. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

Well, I'm still bent out of shape..
    Right now I have Weds afternoon, Fri afternoon and all day Sunday off.
    My boss is "compromising" by giving me Monday afternoon off instead of Friday afternoon off. So I would have all day Sunday and Monday am off. She doesnt get I need 2 full days off in a row to "heal" from the week.
    Walking the dogs that pull me issue: that didnt resolve either! Now she is telling me she will buddy me up with another tech and if I dont get the dog walked in the morning, the other tech can walk it extra at the next walking time. I dont feel right about not taking the dog out.
    And I continue to say with honesty...I do enjoy what I do. I want to do it my way though.
    I agree she has a business to run...So I'm caught...