Frustrated... How can I get a Doctor to see me??????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrotina, Sep 9, 2005.

1. fibrotina

fibrotina New Member

I'm so frustrated. I've gone so down hill since my Doc had to take me off Bextra. Now I have been in a major flare up ever since!! My Primary Doc won't try anything other than anti-inflammatories for pain. I've been on so many I lost count. Finally had stomach problems and now am on nothing... nadda... nutin..zilch... zero!! I'm getting worse every day. It's sending me into a depression like never before. I live in Upstate NY and have been well informed by rheumatologist offices that I can NOT call and set up a new patient apointment. They said my doctor has to send them my complete records and IF they want to see me they will contact me. My doctor has sent my records to the best rheumy in the area and it has been 3 weeks and I've heard nothing..so I assume he won't take me.
    I've had this dd for 5.5 years and have previously seen 3 other rheumy's and they did nothing for me. They were not believers. The one rheumy gave me some medications and when I was having hallucinations from them and called the office they told me not to come back!! How can these docs be so unkind and heartless???
    Why is it we pay for insurance and have these docs on the list of docs you CAN see and yet they won't see you?? My doctor, I believe, is trying his best but his best just isn't working. I feel so helpless.

Maybe there is nothing I can do, but venting has helped me. I feel a little better getting it off my chest, but I'm sure within an hour I will be just as frustrated again. The only medication I have is for depression... wellburtin sr.

Thanks for "listening" :)

Tina
  2. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

you only went to the rheumy once and when you called to say you had trouble with the meds they told you not to come back? What is up with that? What was your visit like?

Sonya
  3. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

What I did was printed info off this & other informative sites, there is a ton of info here as you know, and took it with me to my appointment. I even printed off info on how it is being treated. I told him, "This is me, this is me, this is me. . ." and he agreed.

Maybe your dr is just not informed - if this is the case I would try to find a different primary - mine is an internist and very helpful. I had this pain for 7 years & who knows how many drs before this one finally gave me a diagnosis. If I can find a good one in a town of 900 people you will too!

Everything will work out & I wish you the best.

Kelly
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

what was the first visit like? Can't imagine the responses if for no other reason than they must be concerned with law suits. Very strange.

But, that doesn't help you. I do hope you find help soon. Pain is so draining and dibilitating. Hang in there...will be praying for you.

Sue
  5. fibrotina

fibrotina New Member

My visit was over 4 years ago and this rheumy actually was the one who diagnosed me. He seemed to know what he was talking about and even made me think he would help me. This was early on in my struggle with fibro and I was unaware of fibro at the time so I had no idea what I was in for. But the rheumy told me that lots of people have it and with the right medications they live, and work, normal lives. When I left his office I was kinda upbeat thinking this was finally the break I needed... someone who is going to help me. Boy was I wrong. When he told me not to come back my Primary Doc sent me to another rheumy. This next rheumy is in the same office as the "good rheumy" I am trying to get in with now. But this second rheumy I saw only treated my allergies... and he made them worse. When I complained he said it was impossible for them to be worse from allergy shots. Needless to say after months of throwin away my money on allergy shots and then medications to make me feel better from them I quit seeing him.
    The third rheumy told me yes you have fibro, along with all the other crap that comes with it, deal with it and get on with your life.

I'm so frustrated. I am serioulsy thinking about moving just so I can find a doc that will help me.

bummed out,
    tina
  6. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Tina:
    Before my official diagnosis I did more shopping for doctors than I did for shoes. I do not buy a pig in a poke and if I did not have my present doctor, I would do it all again: doctor shop. And shop. And shop.
    Hugs,
    NyroFAn
  7. fibrotina

fibrotina New Member

my primary doctor, after 5.5 years is finally at a loss as to what to do for me. He is an internest too. I've been very happy with him until recently... its not really him I am upset with, it's the rheumatologists. I've taken print outs from the computer to my appointments and he always has an answer as to why it won't be good to try. I don't know why he won't prescribe me actual pain medication... he has to know by now the anti inflammatories aren't working and I'm sick of throwing my money away. From many people in my area that I have spoken with this rheumy I am trying to get into see is the best in the entire area. I just don't feel like I should have to go with second or third best ya know.

Finding a new primary doctor will be very hard to do. I live in a small town... have been through most of them already. Anyone familiar with Rochester NY? Well that is the closest city near me... and it's about an hour and a half away.

Thanks for all the responses!!
    Tina
  8. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Fibrotina:
    Can you make it into NYC, even if by public transportion.
    It would widen your opportunities. Just an idea. The wear and tear of the trip might be too much anyway.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  9. matthewson

matthewson New Member

I am so sorry to hear you are having such a problem finding a good Dr. I have to tell you that Rheumatologists are good for diagnosing FMS, but not for treating it! I had to suggest medications to try to my rheumy. She really seemed to have no interest at all in actually treating me!

I found a good internal medicine Dr. and on the first visit told him I have Fibromyalgia and this is what I take for it and he just wrote out the prescriptions for me.

I take tramadol and neurontin and the combination of these two seems to work pretty well for me. Drs usually do not have a problem prescribing either one of these drugs.

You might want to skip the rhuemy's all together and find a good internist or general practitioner.

Good luck to you. Sally
  10. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Have you tried the good Doctor list under Doctor Referral at the top of this page?

Good Luck

Kathy.
  11. fibrotina

fibrotina New Member

There are NO doctors listed in my area on the Good Doctor List. NYC is way too far for me to travel...to drive it would be around a 14 hour round trip, and no I can't afford to fly.

Maybe I will put an ad in the paper saying I am looking for a doctor who knows fibromyalgia and has had great success in treatments. Every doctor wants new patients so they can get the insurance money so everyone that I have called of course say they are familiar with fibro and the treatments.... thats when trust comes up. I've had my doctor for well over 10 years and would hate to leave him for another doctor who lied about being able to treat me.

I think I am going to contact the support group, which I have only heard bad things about... you know the typical feel bad for me people, in the city and see if they can suggest any doctors. I don't know what else to do.

Thanks everyone.... if I ever get somewhere with this I will post about it again.

Tina
  12. lmmillion

lmmillion New Member

I was fortunate that my Primary Care Dr. suspected Fibro and believes in it. it was my Rheumy that made the actual diagnosis, but as far as treatment, he told me that once he diagnoses Fibro, he sends the patient back to their primary Dr. for treatment. This has worked out o.k. for me so far, and I don't know of much that the Rheumy could prescribe other than what my primary has tried. My advice is to skip the Rheumy and find a good primary care Dr. that you feel comfortable with. It will be much easier to be seen when needed. Have you asked your primary to prescribe Ultam? I know my Dr. was pushing the anti-inflammatories at first, but over time she recommended Ultram. Seems that Dr.'s are more inclined to try this as a next step. After my last flare-up, though,I asked for Vicodin because the pain was intollerable. She gave it to me, but said that she doesn't like to get people started on that. Good luck with seeking supportive help. There are other things available to manage pain, and you need a Dr. that has some empathy.