Frustrated / scared daughter.....

Discussion in 'Caregivers' started by GAmom, Aug 18, 2003.

1. GAmom

GAmom New Member

This is my first posting to the message board so please bear with father was diagnosed with diabetes about 10 years ago and is now using the pump. He is a lifelong runner / tennis player. I confess I don't know as much as I should about his diabetes but he tends to brush it off and change the subject when I or my brother or sisters try to talk to him about it. Over the last year he has had several very bad lows - most in the middle of the night - a few during the day - where the paramedics had to be called and afterwards he didn't remember anything about the episode. He's never been happy with his doctor (endocrinologist) so now only sees his general practitioner. I guess what I'm looking for is some information regarding what is normal - maybe that's not even possible?? My brother/sisters and I don't feel like he is getting good information from his doctor combined with the fact that he is stubborn and doesn't check his blood sugar enough. How often should he be checking? I could go on and on....We're very scared for his safety and health and don't know where to turn. He has had several episodes while driving. He refuses to let my mother help him which creates conflict for the two of them. He is 65 years old. Any help is appreciated. I apologize for going on so long.
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Have you tried the Diabetic board? I know you will get a lot of information there to help your Dad. Just go to the 'Message Boards' link, click and it will bring you to an index of the boards on this site.

Then just click on 'Diabetics' and you will be there. I sure hope you find a way to help your Dad and Mom soon.

He much check his sugar often, and stick with his diet. If he is eating too much sugar and the wrong foods, that is what is causing those blackouts.

I do not have diabetes, but have a friend (with a hardhead also) who does.

I sure hope you get some help soon. Please let me know how you Dad is doing.

Shalom, Shirl