Frustrated with doctors

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LSBarrow, Jun 21, 2003.

1. LSBarrow

LSBarrow New Member

Hi everyone...I'm sure this is a common problem but I need to vent! I have been to 6 different doctors regarding FM and none of them seem to know anything about FM. All 6 explained that symptoms like blurry vision, numbness all over, clumsiness in hands and many other symptoms are not related to FM; but other FM patients say otherwise. When I was diagnosed with FM, the rheumatologist explained that from then on I was to see my primary because rheumatology dealt with arthritis and FM was not categorized as arthritis. ummm.., well at least he saw me, when my primary sent me to the neurologist, he wouldn't even see me. He had his PA explain to me that there are no connections between FM and neurology and therefore he does not see FM patients. Took my 20 dollar co-pay though! Like I said, I AM VERY FUSTRATED! Has anyone else had this problem and how did you resolve it. I am desperate.

Thanks,
    Linda
  2. Applyn59

Applyn59 New Member

Sorry you are having these problems. I see a rheumatologist for my FMS. I don't know how
    much he knows but he is willing to try most things
    that I ask about. I do feel that I am the one who
    always comes up with the ideas, though. Many
    rheumatologists treat FMS! Are there other rheumy's
    or neurologists in your area that you could go to?
    Have you checked the dr. referral service on this
    site? There is a tab at the top of this page that
    says "dr. referral" What does your primary dr. have to say about all of this? Is he/she good?

You could also ask here for a dr. in your area and
    maybe someone can steer you in the right direction.
    If I were you I would try to see another neurologist.

Just some ideas for you.
    Good luck,
    Lynn

3. dd

dd New Member

Many of us have had to kiss many toads before finding that "prince" of a doctor...in my case it was about 20+ docs. Keep searching is my advice.

I have FM and CFS. I have the numbness, dizzyness, blurry visions and a host of other neuro symptoms. I have been to a rhumy, neuro and many other kinds of docs. The one that has helped the most is an infectious disease/immunologist doc.

Hope this helps.

Peace,

Debbie
  4. kgg

kgg New Member

But you may want to call and talk with the office manager or nurse to see what the attitude is toward patients with this DD before you waste your precious time and energy. So sorry you had to go through all of this fraustration.
  5. Mumu

Mumu New Member

That's the trouble with depending on doctor's to make us well. Not enough is known about FM yet to even know which specialty it falls under, so everybody passes the buck. We have to take charge of our own health care, read all we can on the subject, try this and that until we find the things that work for us. The only thing doctors have to offer is pain meds, which only drug us so that we can't function normally. The things I have found that actually do help are simple and don't cost a thing - eliminating as much stress as possible, getting enough sleep, getting regular mild exercise and sunshine, avoiding sugar and chemical additives in food, etc. By the way, when I have a flare I have the blurry vision too.