FS?MEImmune Dysfunction But Do Not Get Sick.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gapsych, Nov 21, 2008.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I am somewhat confused. I have FM/CFS/ME. CFS/ME are supposed to be immune disorders.

If you have an immune disorder, would that mean you tend catch a lot of viruses and get sick a lot.

I rarely get sick with a cold or virus. When I do, I shake it off a lot faster than others.

Could someone explain why CFS/FM are considered an immune disorder?

Is this a subset of CFS/FM patients. This is what could explain the above but am not sure.

In my case, I feel that my fatigue is of a neurological neurological origin. My symptoms began after a broken arm.

Just looking for some feedback.

Thanks in advance.

[This Message was Edited on 11/21/2008]
  2. Elisa

Elisa Member

From what I understand in ME/CFS the immune system is not functioning normally because it is over active or upregulated. Because of this, we often don't suffer from as much viral/bugs as others. The immune system shows an imbalance in T1 vs T2 - whereas it is shifted toward T2. We are upregulated in our viral defenses - probably because we are non-stop battling several of them.

Anyway, there are many other markers in the ME/CFS immune sytem that are not the norm. In addition, RNase is a marker for the immune systems abnormal response in the viral pathway.

I'm sure everyone else will chime in with what they know...

And yes, ME/CFS is now classified as a neurological disorder - but its tough to say when it effects so many systems what it really is - aside from a monster!

God Bless,

3. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

this is why i am dubious of the "CFIDS" label. Its more like "you have an infection that we haven't been able to diagnose - but we figured out how to measure the immune activity" syndrome. I agree, I haven't gotten "sick" since I got "sick", except for maybe one episode of food poisioning. But not colds, flus, pneumonia, etc...
  4. Sun_Rae

Sun_Rae New Member

There are many subclassifications to this disease, two of which are those that don't catch anything and those that catch everything. I am in the subclass that catches everything, especially when I'm over fatigued. Before I became nearly housebound I used to still travel. I would get sick (swollen glands, fever, malaise) nearly the minute I got off the plane coming home. I would have to schedule in days after the trip for recoup/sick time before going back to work.

I don't know that it's that i 'catch' something so much as I have latent viral crap lurking in my system and I get weak enough that it takes over, but certainly during a cold/flu outbreak around the office or hubby and I will get it, almost like clock-work. Sucks, BIG TIME!