Fudge Disability Tax Credit

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Redwillow, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Hi Fudge (and any other Canadian who has received CPP disability)

The reason I mentioned the disability tax credit in Abcanada post about CPP disability applications is because a lot of people don't know it is available. This application can be downloaded from the Canadian tax sites.

A lot of doctors when they look at the forms to be filled out wouldn't think that it applies to us, it is about mobility, vision imparment, hearing etc. We have all of those it just have to be worded properly.

My cousin who helped me with my CPP claim also helped me with my tax credit claim, hers had been done by her lawyer.

I would be happy to give you a copy of what was written on my claim. I asked my cousin (who is a nurse practioner who also has FM/CFS) to tell me what her doctor wrote and I gave the information to my rheumy.

I told the rheumy that I wasn't trying to tell her what to do when I asked her to fill this form out. I was just showing what my cousin's doctor wrote as she was advising me. The rheumy ended up writing exactly word for word what my cousin advised.

Also with the tax credit your doctor can fill in that you have been ill for up to 10 years with this disabling condition (for most of us it is years before we finally couldn't work any longer). In my case it is longer than 10 years but that is as far back as they will go.

So even though I was working for part of those years they went back on my income tax for 10 years. Since I didn't work for all those years I didn't have an income to apply this credit to.

I phoned the tax office and explained that in this current year I had applied my tax credit to my husbands income. My question was if I could apply the unused portions of the tax credit to my husbands income for the rest of the years. The answer was YES! but I had to get him to write a letter giving his permission to reassess his tax claim back 10 years! LOL I wrote the letter, he signed it and a few weeks later I got 10 cheques in the mail!

Trust me this is not information that the government will give you unless you ask. They are not going to help you even though you are disabled and can barely think.

I had some really wonderful people help me get my diagnosis, disability and tax credit. I am passing this on to as many people as I can because I believe we have enough stresses with this illness!

hugs Redwillow
  2. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

When you are on the Canadian tax sites please check out all the things that you can deduct for medical reason.

A lot of people don't take advantage of the what they can deduct for medical reasons. I never did before this year.

For example: we have medical coverage for prescriptions, dental, chiropractor appointments, etc. In our case we pay $3.00 for each prescription and the medical plan pays for a portion of dentist appointments, chiro appointments, in our case about 80%.

The parts that you had to pay out of your own pocket is tax deductible. It is a bit of work to keep track of all this but it is worth it. Trust me it all adds up.

Since I live in a rural area I also claim transportation costs to go to doctors appointments etc (my rheumy's office is 2 hours drive for me), and they even allow you to claim for meals while you were travelling to appointments.

For people who have to have medical aides like scooters, braces, etc these are also deductible as a medical expense as long as you have a doctors script saying you need it. My cousin is even able to claim a portion of her air conditioning costs on her taxes because her lungs are so bad. I know there is more I just can't think right now.

If you already know all this stuff please forgive me for going on and on. It has become my mission in life since I had to go on disability to try and find a way to get as much tax money back from the government as I can. I believe I have a much better use for this money than they do! LOL

I have some wonderful angels in my life who helped me and I believe in paying it forward.

hugs Redwillow
    [This Message was Edited on 10/15/2006]
  3. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Red ! ... Thank you so much for the information .. a BIG no !
    I didn't know all of this and neither does my husband .. he is ex-military .. had 26 years in and had to take early retirement becuase of his severe medical issues from Gulf '91 .. they actually denied him his LTD because he collects more than one pension .. it is so unfair that they have done that to so many military people who are so sick permanently.. Sunlife is the company and they make us so angry !
    We also have the same system for medical/dental .. they pay 80% on medical .. 90% on dental ... so yes .. we also have out of pocket expenses to cover .. my Fibro meds have been expensive .. we can print off a form with all the claims we have filed for my meds .. so that would be easy enough ..
    But I have to get my husband to have a look at your information here .. we had talked about this before but just didn't know where to start .. we both have problems using our "noodles" haha

I do appreciate all the information !
    Thank you so much !
    Joy : ) ... aka Fudge (wish I had some now !) haha
    [This Message was Edited on 10/15/2006]
  4. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Ah ha! Another closet chocolate fan! If I had some fudge I would definitely share! I do have some chocolate vanilla fudge ice cream in the fridge. Come on over. LOL

I am so sorry about what your husband has gone through with his health. I truly believe our governments have a lot to answer for about the health of our troops!

Talk it over with your hubby and see what he thinks. If he is interested in looking into this I would be glad to help.

We aren't talking about enough money to retire on here, darn it all, but we are talking about money that should be in your pockets instead of the governments!

It sounds to me like you should pursue a disability tax credit for both of you. I am not guaranteeing this of course because you have to have a doctor who is willing to sign these forms.

What I did was have my doctor fill out the forms, in my case it was just before the tax season so our accountant told us to submit the forms with my taxes. It took a while the first time as they have to assess if they think you are eligible but hey when is the government speedy at anything? unless you owe them money. I think we finally got our income tax return that year in July.

As for the medical receipts I really got into it this year. This kind of medical tax claim is ok for anyone, most people just don't bother until every penny counts.

I went to our pharmacist and asked his assistant to run off a print out of all the prescriptions that we had filled for the year (including any for our children as well). That showed the amount of $3.00 we had paid that year.

As I said in our case we pay $3.00 a prescription, we are so lucky to have medical insurance available to us. Next I went to our medical insurance company internet site. They will have listings of what you claimed in the last year and what the portion was that you had to pay. Print a copy off of this. This is your tax proof.

I also keep a file and stuff every medical receipt into it. There are a lot of things that I can't claim on my insurance medical plan. Examples: eyes glasses, eye examinations, parking receipts for medical appointments, my doctor also charges $10.00 to fill a prescription if you don't have a scheduled appointment, etc.

I know there is probably more. If I think of it I will let you know. If you want to chat we could arrange to meet in PH chat some time.

hugs Marion (Redwillow)
  5. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

It is Monday morning .. just saw your next note. Thank you again for the information ... my husband e-files every year and we were just audited for 5 years past .. honestly it was the most ridiculous thing .. they told us we owed them money .. we shook our heads in disbelief but paid it ... when the audit was finished they owed us all that money back and a bit more .. TYPICAL !
    Instead of catching the real slackers, they waste time on an ex-military guy and his wife with both on disability pensions .. now how STUPID is THAT ?

We have a few things to do today .. but I'll get John to look at your information and see if he can get his head round it all .. and perhaps we maight have a chance to talk too ? That might really help !

Again ... thank you so much for the information .. if we go ahead, we have nothing to lose .. we already have been audited ! hahaha
    Joy
    PS .. chocolate from the little Belgium city of beautiful Brugge is unbelievable .. good thing we came back to Canada when we did .. I would weigh 300 pounds ! haha
  6. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Hi again Fudge:

Belgium chocolate huh! Sounds wonderful. I live near a chocolate factory that has a factory outlet! I try to stay away but .... well you know!

We got audited this year too. I just sent all the paperwork away a few weeks ago. So annoying. My husband wasn't really upset, our accountant had e-filed our completed tax form but we had all our receipts. It was just annoying having to collect it all up, make photocopies, and then mail this huge envelope.

Hopefully we won't get hit with a bill as I think everything is in order. It seems to me that all these jobs that the government brag that they create are just more ways to stick it too the ones who have very little to begin with.

hugs Redwillow
  7. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Well said I think you are so RIGHT ! haha
    Joy : )
  8. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

I was in your town on the weekend. We went shopping at Costco and then went to our son's hockey game in Amhersview afterwards.

A very long day for me. We left around 3:00 pm shopped, had supper out and then hockey. So I got home about 12:30. As you can imagine I was exhausted the next day.

Maybe the reason why my chest and back muscles are so sore today.

hugs Marion
  9. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

That was one LONG day Marion .. I haven't done anything like that in years .. it would really total me.
    My best time is morning .. I'm still an early riser .. pain levels not too bad then most times .. there is always one of "those" days though.
    So I try to do all my errands/appointments then .. by noon I'm shot .. it really puts a damper on what little social life we have with our friends .. but they understand and we do "lunch" instead of dinner .. unless it is here. Early matinees if we want to do a movie/early dinner thing .. I'm lucky my schedulis adapted by friends.

COSTCO had great fuzzy warm PJs on for $19 ! .. we do some impulse buying in there so we have to behave ourselves ...
    But we love it too !

10. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Rick ! Hello there ! .. looked in your profile and saw that amazing wooden bench .. it is beautiful ! .. I love wood furniture and folk art .. have loads of Dutch/Belgium cookie molds and a few foot warmers ( carved wooden boxes they put heated material in ) that I found in flea markets while there .. wood is like a form of living art to me .. I am a tree hugger ! haha

Thank you for the input about the tax thing .. I have to show my husband these responses so we can figure out what to do.
    You are so right about "What huge income do we have ????" It is ridiculous.

Thanks again Rick
  11. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Thanks Rick:

I know the disability tax credit is a great help to us though I didn't know exactly how much it was worth. I just know we were able to get a rebate this year!

If you have any other suggestions of tax breaks please post and let us know. We need all the help we can get!

Your wooden bench is absolutely beautiful! OH I wish I could do something like that.

My father has done some wood working. He made us all cedar chests out of his own lumber. But his wood working isn't up to your standards. If you tell him I said this of course I will deny it! LOL

hugs Redwillow
  12. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

13. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

14. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

I am always off topic. What was the topic anyway???? Eh?

Your deacon's bench is fabulous! I would love to see your other work.

hugs Redwillow
  15. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Getting off topic is a "good" thing at times .. especially in this rainy, cold, windy weather .. this is November weather in October ! ... Where are those gorgeous Octobers we used to have so I could take pictures of the trees in living COLOUR ! haha

Beautiful wood working Rick ! .. I saw some awesome pieces in Europe but wood working is an international LOVE !
  16. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Rick ... that is a very nice piece too ! I really like the stain finish .. I'm partial to dark wood stains .. makes the piece look richer .. never was a "blonde" wood person .. haha
    Great work !