Fun Pic Story Phantastic

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by paulmack, Feb 25, 2007.

1. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Hi guys,saw this fun story in our newspapers at the weekend.Whadya think?

Headline is "Slam Trunk Basketball Star" & is about elephants playing basketball.Don't think they'll be earning as much as the American players though,but they look as though they're enjoying it,lol.

Story goes:

"An elephant slam dunks a basketball through a hoop — at a home for talented jumbos.

The mammal has been trained at a park for performing elephants.

Others at the attraction in Chiang Mai,Northern Thailand, have been taught to paint and draw.

The country has just 4,000 Asian elephants left — down from 50,000 half a century ago.

But, like this animal, that could just be a ballpark figure."

2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

saw them on one of the news programmes, they were actually on their hind legs putting the balls in the hoops.

Hope they really are enjoying it.

3. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Never saw them on the telly but was reading some reader's comments on the newspapers website that raised some interesting info_One reader says:
    "The stories are great.I have seen this park .At the elephant conservancy near Chang Mia they look after sick elephants and have a breeding programme.The elephants are looked after by their mahouts 24/7.
    If the UK hospitals think they have problems with ward cleaning the THAI'S use JCB'S for bed pans & burn the bedding.The place is spotless.
    Nearby you can listen to an Elephant band watch them paint as well as timber handling which they are superb. I rode an elephant up a metre wide path alongside a cliff edge these elephants are amazingly sure footed.
    I hope the numbers will rise back to levels they once were."

Wouldn't fancy driving the JCB though,LOL.

[This Message was Edited on 02/26/2007]