Fun site to tell what your mixed breed dog is!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TwinMa, Nov 4, 2008.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

This site shows pictures of mixed breed dogs that they have DNA tested. You can search by breed. It's fun to look around. Some of them are pretty far fetched to believe, but who knows?!

I found a dog that looks very much like my Millie, who I adopted from a shelter in February. This dog is Miniature Schnauzer, Chow Chow, Chihauhau and Lab. I definitely thought Millie was part Schnauzer, so that part fits.

Take a look and see if you can find a dog that looks like your mutt! Then you don't have to pay the $125 for a kit (doesn't include the vet fee to get blood drawn). Just looking is free!

[This Message was Edited on 11/06/2008]
  2. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Thanks for the link TwinMa! Just wanted to let you know that I am one of the 30 something people who looked at your post.

My son has a dog named Skizzard who is a mix of German Shepherd and possibly terrier, and other stuff. She has a wrinkly forehead and a speckled back end. I actually found a dog on there who looks very much like her. Something is slightly different about the face, but otherwise, it looks the same. Its a Shepard/husky mix that also contains Chihuahua, Chow Chow, Rottweiler, and Tibetan Terrier. Whodathunk?

I didn't read all the details about their DNA testing, but I imagine that it goes back many generations. I see a lot of dogs there in the gallery who clearly look like a particular breed, but have a bunch of other stuff in them you would never have imagined.

My dog Hailey LOOKS 99.9% like a yellow lab. Her mother was a German Shepherd and all the puppies in the litter were Shepherds, except Hailey. The father was a black lab. You would never know by looking at her that she was anything but yellow lab. Genes are funny.

Interesting site! Thanks for sharing!
  3. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Thanks for responding to this post, kid. I'm having a particularly rough day (major fight with DH), so seeing your response has lifted my spirits a bit. I really hate fighting. Bleck.

Here's the pic of the pooch that looks like my Millie:

The major diffence is that Millie's ears don't stick straight up like Lindy's. Otherwise, she's a dead ringer.

You probably already figured out that if you click on the picture itself, the image will be enlarged. Sometimes there are more than 1 image of a dog, too.

There's a funny one in the Saint Bernard category. His name is Jack and he looks like a little toy poodle. They say he is Bichon Frise with some Saint Bernard. That must have been quite a pairing!
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

it's fun to pick these things out. When I first read about this, I was amazed that they could pick out from which breeds a dog was bred, since most breeds aren't more than 150 years old.

Actually we're always trying to pick these things out in ourselves and our kids... we're all mixed breeds too! I was reading one could get a DNA reading on both sides of the family especially as to specific areas, like Europe, but cost was high ($650)... thinking of maybe just having my daughter done, we could likely figure it out from there but I've a feeling I'd end up having mine done at least too hehehe!

all the best,