Fun Trivia Question

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by paulmack, May 25, 2007.

1. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Fun Trivia Question

Hi guys.
    Consider the scene,you have just won the jackpot on a TV quiz & the host gives you 10 seconds to choose your prize.So the pressure is really on you,lol.
    Which option would you take:

Option 1.

$2 million cash today or,

Option 2.

The total reached after 1 cent has been doubled for 30 consecutive days,

ie 1 cent today,
    2 cents tomorrow,
    4 cents the next day,and so on.

and you'd be allowed to collect the amount reached on the 30th day.

Remember,10 seconds to make up your mind.

Have fun,i'll let you know which option nets you the biggest sum later.

2. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

the pennies! I seem to remember working this out when I was a kid and being totally blown away by how much it was.

However, were I on a game show, I'd be more cautious and take the $2mil and run!

peace out,
  3. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Hi guys,heard this little teaser on the radio today & my first instinct was also to take the $2 million lump sum & run,lol.
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

there you are.

What's up in the land of kilts and bagpipes? We have an annual Irish Festival in LA. The Scotts are also represented. Lots of great music and dancing.

The kids in their costumes are adorable.

About half a century ago, our 9th grade scientist teacher Mr. Randall worked out the doubling penny scenario before our very eyes. The answer was a lot of money.

This teaches us that a snowball rolling down hill will increase in size until it becomes a giant snowman and is able to do battle w/ Godzilla.

Oh, NO! Tokyo is flattened again.

5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I'll take the cumulative pennies. If I remember right, the exponential sum after 30 days is astronomical. But if the total was in pennies, I don't know where I'd put them all!

Hope all is well in Glasgow. Ever hear of a Scottish singer named Dougie Maclean? He's pretty good.
  6. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Hoots Rock,not been on the PC as much recently,since the brighter nights have arrived.Not much happening in the land of the Kilts at the moment,although it is a holiday weekend over here(Bank Holiday on the last Monday of May annually).The Irish Festival sounds great fun & I bet it's very colourful with much dance,music & Guinness.I hope your legs can keep up with all the Irish Jigging,lol.Anyone for Riverdance.
    MCD,I'm with you on that one,29 days can be a long time & our $2m is safely in the bank.
    Hi Ken,think we better keep it in $,pounds sterling would be way too much in $ with the rates at about $2 to £1.
    Not heard of Dougie Mclean though,does he play in a band??
  7. sisland

sisland New Member

I've been out runnin errands and missed your Trivia~~~~ But Hey i'm one that would Take the Cash to the Bank! cause countin' all thoes pennies would make my Head hurt too!,,,,,,,,,,,Hope all is well!,,,,,,,,,Sydney
  8. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

sitting on the floor in my bedroom with a pencil and a piece of paper working out how much money I could save if I did this. I think I was about 8.

That may have been the day I decided that saving was impossible! Gee, maybe it was! I may have been laboring under that experience all these years because I'm a really lousy saver.

Rock, you made me laugh as ever!!! So, you're overrun by the Oirish. We are so very vivid, are we not?

We call holidays which close the banks Bank Holidays up here in Canada, too. I think of lot of Yanks would be surprised to see just how much we are like our friends over the pond.

Can I have my pennies now, please?
    Peace out,

[This Message was Edited on 05/25/2007]
  9. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Can't believe this!!!
    1 cent doubled for 30 days would be worth $5,368,709 on the 30th day,wow.I'm gutted now that I settled for a lousy $2m,LOL.
    Apparently the quick way to work this out is to calculate 2 to the power 29.The guy on the radio tells me this later on in the show & after I had spent 10 mins manually doubling the pennies,haha.
    As the saying goes "look after the pennies,& the pounds will look after themselves".Very true in this instance methinks.
    Wikipedia says that Bank Holidays are:
    "A bank holiday is a public holiday in the United Kingdom and also in the Republic of Ireland. Although there is no legal right to time off on these days, the majority of the population not employed in essential services (e.g. utilities, fire, ambulance, police, health-care workers) receive them as holidays; those employed in essential services usually receive extra pay for working on these days. Bank holidays are so called because they are days upon which banks are shut and therefore (traditionally) no other businesses could operate. Legislation allows certain payments to be deferred to the next working day."

10. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Yep,your up late tonight.It's now just about 11am over here.
    Have a great weekend as well.
  11. sisland

sisland New Member

I've always wanted to be a Millionaire! Lolol Now Thanks to you I know how to do it! lol Thanks for posting!,,,,,,,,,S
  12. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I'm up to four pennies! Won't be long now :) I'll fly everyone to a private island at the end of next mo. when I'm rich!

MCD56, I'm in Toronto. Once known as Hog Town. (Ahhh, the charming images that conjures up!) Now, most of the country refers to Toronto as The Big Smoke. Silly really as it's a pretty clean city by international standards. Hating Toronto is one of our national pastimes. Unless, of course, you live here... then you love it!

Only 24 hours and I'll have 8 pennies! I'm so excited!

Peace out,

13. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Geeze, give you a little information and you get drunk on power! Anyway, I have my own pennies! I just don't have any dollars.

14. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Think I must have been reading your mind.Just posted a new guess where game 2 mins ago.Spooky or what,LOL.
  15. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

It's so much fun when we all get giddy!