Fun with Latin

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rafiki, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

For not Latin speakers only :~)

Can you (without resorting to online translators!) figure out which well known question this is?

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Ok, I'll give it a stab. Quantum is quanity. Materiae is material. Marmota is a rodent. Monax is the kissing disease.

Si is Spanish for yes. Possit is some kind of drink.

Put them all together and you have a question regarding how much material would a Spanish rodent chuck if a woodchuck would chuck wood.

Or possible it's about Woody Woodpecker.

[This Message was Edited on 09/16/2008]
  3. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

as I posted this I thought: Rock will take about 2 minutes to figure this out!

What I could not predict was the wonderful word concoction that is your reply. I truly think you are brilliant!

I just love your mind!

4. rockgor

I looked it up after I posted and was mildly surprised to find it was the correct answer after all.

Well, they say Latin is our root language. I think I read a joke about roots. Oh yeah, there was a blonde involved.

Couple weeks ago Gordon said to me, "Do a post. Ask how many people know the words to Happy Birthday."

I said, "Why would I do that?"

He said, "Well, the main thing is just to have some chit chat. Doesn't really matter what it's about."

So there we are. A point to ponder.

Thanks, Rafiki

5. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Do You Think To Much?

It started out innocently enough. I began to think at parties now and then to loosen up. Inevitably though, one thought led to another, and soon I was more than just a social thinker.

I began to think alone - "to relax," I told myself - but I knew it wasn't true. Thinking became more and more important to me, and finally I was thinking all the time.

I began to think on the job. I knew that thinking and employment don't mix, but I couldn't stop myself.

I began to avoid friends at lunchtime so I could read Thoreau and Kafka. I would return to the office dizzied and confused, asking, "What is it exactly we are doing here?"

Things weren't going so great at home either. One evening I had turned off the TV and asked my wife about the meaning of life. She spent that night at her mother's.

I soon had a reputation as a heavy thinker. One day the boss called me in. He said, "Skippy, I like you, and it hurts me to say this, but your thinking has become a real problem. If you don't stop thinking on the job, you'll have to find another job." This gave me a lot to think about.

I came home early after my conversation with the boss. "Honey," I confessed, "I've been thinking..."

"I know you've been thinking," she said, "and I want a divorce!"

"But Honey, surely it's not that serious."

"It is serious," she said, lower lip aquiver. "You think as much as college professors, and college professors don't make any money, so if you keep on thinking we won't have any money!"

"That's a faulty syllogism," I said impatiently, and she began to cry. I'd had enough. "I'm going to the library," I snarled as I stomped out the door.

I headed for the library, in the mood for some Nietzsche, with a PBS station on the radio. I roared into the parking lot and ran up to the big glass doors... they didn't open. The library was closed.

To this day, I believe that a Higher Power was looking out for me that night.

As I sank to the ground clawing at the unfeeling glass, whimpering for Zarathustra, a poster caught my eye. "Friend, is heavy thinking ruining your life?" it asked. You probably recognize that line. It comes from the standard Thinker's Anonymous poster.

Which is why I am what I am today: a recovering thinker. I never miss a TA meeting. At each meeting we watch a non-educational video; last week it was "Porky's." Then we share experiences about how we avoided thinking since the last meeting.

I still have my job, and things are a lot better at home. Life just seemed... easier, somehow, as soon as I stopped thinking.

Unknown Author
  6. mezombie

mezombie Member

LOL Rafiki, that was precious!

I wonder if there's a chapter near me...

Oh wait. Isn't Step One acknowledging that one has a problem?

No way!

Thinkers Unite!
  7. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

All Fabulous, LOL. Still LOL. thanks!

[This Message was Edited on 09/17/2008]
  8. rockgor

N.B. "Et. al." is Latin.

N.B. again. So is "N.B."

You're right, Mezombie. Step one is, "We admitted we were powerless over _______. Our lives had become unmanageable."

You can insert whatever you like in the blank: alcohol, chocolate, bingo, Home Shopping network...

Rafiki, I read that studies show thinking causes the most problems for people who are in the military.

Where ya been, Mr. Bill? Them escalloped potatoes still in the oven?

Jean, you musta studied Latin in grammar school.

The only Latin I remember from law school is, "De minimis non curat lex" which means in time of flood, do not drive your Lexus into the current.

9. victoria

victoria New Member

ou all are too funny, as usual.

10. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Alas my one semester on Latin in High School has failed me. I will have to look it up. I do remember amo, amas, amat and "Et tu, Brute?"

However, I have found that the root words that are latin, have helped me over the years.

Don't ask me what it helped me out with as I am too foggy to think.

Oh, yes. Spelling and the meaning of words!!! I remembered.

I plan to copy your thinking post.

Thanks for the laugh!!!

11. rockgor

"De minimis non curat lex"

Your translation has something to do w/ fish? But where is the Pisces? My ex-wife was a Pisces. She used to say it meant she was creative.

She had many fine qualities, but being creative was not one of them.

One of my old college roommates translated "Shar Pei Diem" as "Seize the dog".

According to my extensive research, the Lexus appeared in 1989, the year of the Charles Keating Savings and Loan collapse. The past is prologue.

Oh yes, the quotation.

I think it means something like Lex Luthor (from the old Superman Comics) has a small (minimum) owie which needs curing (curat), possibly in the form of a kryptonite band-aide.

Ha det bra

12. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I am a dog person (canis alio) and a hugely annoying optimist given to spouting encouraging phrases to the canis populus. You can bet I'll be looking for an opportunity to use Shar Pei Diem!

The first Latin phrase I learned growing up was in vino veritas. Draw what conclusions you will about my Irish familia.

ETA I should say, despite a very brief stint in Catholic school, I still don't really know any Latin and had to look up "alio" online. :~)

[This Message was Edited on 09/19/2008]
  13. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

amo, amas, amat

the phrase which would be naughty spoken:

amas, amat, amo?

14. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

As I was falling asleep last night this popped into my head: Veni, vidi, vici.

So, my last post doesn't make any sense! I nearly got up and logged on because I felt so silly!

Were you conjugating love? One cannot make that naughty!

But, you can make veni, vidi, vici naughty. Vidi, vici, veni.

15. Manaleon

Manaleon New Member

I figured it out and then showed it to my husband. He got it too after a few minutes. I'm a botany major so although I've never took latin, I've been learning plant latin for many years now. I'm becoming a big fan and I pull apart lots of words. It helps with my insect class too. Latin is so fun. Thanks for the smile. :)
  16. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Glad you enjoyed it. I think everyone should know how to say it in Latin, don't you?

Your wedding was beautiful! What a fantastic dress! You looked absolutely gorgeous, radiant actually, and your handsome husband (HUSBAND!) looked so happy and so much in love.

Peace out,
  17. rockgor

You are a big success. You have arrived!

Here's something I found on the net serendipitiously. "Refuse the blindfold, accept the cigarette, and share a laugh with the firing squad."

Is this a rule for going through life?

18. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Now if I just remember some Latin.....

19. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Renuo blindfold , recipero cigarette , quod rideo risi risum per firing squad.

20. rockgor

Stands to reason there would be no Latin phrase for "firing squad".