Functional Sematic Syndrome

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by berrytired, Aug 7, 2008.

1. berrytired

berrytired New Member

Please google this one and let me know what you think..I just stumbled upon it!

Funtional Sematic Syndrome:
  2. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Berrytired,

I ran across this kind of information several years ago, and quickly discerned that I should not waste my time on this type of thinking and literature. For those who may want to check it out, click on the following link and read for one or two minutes. You'll likely decide in very short order whether or not to pursue this.

<a href="">An Overall Review of Functional Somatic Syndromes</a>

Regards, Wayne
  3. simonedb

simonedb Member

wow that article is awful, they obviously havent read Osler's web, they were probably the guys from the cdc that bungled things.
  4. tansy

tansy New Member

nor taken heed of the good quality biomedical research that demonstrates our symptoms are genuine.

I have just been sent an email with a link to a site showing how neurologists are being taught to treat patients presenting with functional somatic disorders.

Health warning - this will make you blood boil.

tc, Tansy
  5. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

are particularly interested in not only somatization but also flat out malingering. If you google "malingerers" you get tons of hits re neurology.

Neurologists have a greater percentage of patients they cannot diagnose. They make up lots of interesting theories about why patients do the things they do. It's easier than accepting that they don't always know what's going on.

Many neurologists are fragile creatures. They have great trouble dealing with and facing reality. Almost all of the known neurological disorders were initially described as somataform disorders.

The history of medicine shows that the subjective experience of people with symptoms is far more consistent than the cockamamie theories doctors come up with to describe them. From ulcers to Autism to MS, doctors are almost always wrong.

Sad but true.

Peace out,
  6. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Rafiki,

I just had to let you know how much I appreciated your above post. It seems your brain was really humming along on that one. You don't suppose you had a little adrenaline flowing to give you a helping hand on that do you? :)

Also, it seems from your description of neurologists that their profiles are pretty similar to that of some psychologists. Not to pick on Mr. Wessley or anything, but for some reason, he comes to mind.

7. tansy

tansy New Member

because functional somatic disorders aka hysteria is what he has based his work on.

According to an official at Whitehall (NHS) Wes and his colleagues are passionate and caring. Needless to say I chose to differ when it came to the term caring and interpretted passionate somewhat differently.

tc, Tansy
  8. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Psychologists and Neurologists -- people with an enormous desire to understand the human brain.

Some may be interested because they had a parent with Parkinson's or a sibling with autism... but others will be drawn to these disciplines because uncertainty unnerves them and they NEED to maintain the delusion that they live in a completely understandable, explainable and predictable world.

Good luck to them.

My dear Wayne, there has been naught but sloshing between my ears for weeks (months?) but your kindness, as always, is much appreciated!

Peace out,
  9. simonedb

simonedb Member

i must confess my degree and work has been in the psychology field over the years but I am a big fan of client centered approach; respecting people's wisdom about their needs.
    I want to do some activism around this stuff....when I feel better ha, this year most of my spare energy is going to working on health and walking the dog.

Do you guys know of a group/org of advocates for cfids/fm to support/get involved with, that has gone public and can articulate effective news etc? Make a political difference?
    I have thought of trying to learn more about Patricia Fennell as had heard from our state cfs group that she is knowledgeable social worker advocating for cfs clients etc, she has some books on triage. One of those things havent gotten around to.

Maybe the issues are too varied to have an effective poster child for cfids/me/ got your mercury poisoning/metals and other toxins, viruses and bacterias, traumas, spinal stuff, genetic there an effective way to try to be inclusive and advocate? I guess what I don't understand is if someone has been exposed to these internal and external insults, why would people feel need to doubt they could cause lasting harm? Fear for themselves and subsequent denial perhaps and of course corporate managment of health care and avoidance of coverage of care for all these problems in a dangerous world, can get expensive.
  10. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

i saw a neurologist last year regarding night seizures that i was having. he said one possibility was that they were psychologically caused. I almost laughed in his face. what a moron.

11. tansy

tansy New Member

Hi Rafiki

I smiled when I read your comments because they are so true. The medical professionals in my family describe psychiatrists and neurologists similarly and worse.

Hi Simone

Yes you can be an inclusive advocate; it's the approach I often use when challenging the issues that affect us all in the UK. Referring to published papers and articles is useful when discussing the medical stuff; the other issues do not require being so specific.

When I am told there's no concensus on Tx I will explain this is due to the inevitable confusion over what these DDs are and emphasise the need for subsets. I can then demonstrate how important research is because if doctors don't understand these DDs how can they possibly treat them effectively.
    Mezombie would be a good person to ask about patient organisations in the US.

Hi Bigmama

I have seen a few neurologists whose letters to the referring GPs look very silly now; they were so obsessed with their own prejudices they missed the obvious. Yep a couple of them were morons and had a reputation for treating many of the patients referred to them badly.

tc, Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 08/09/2008]
  12. simonedb

simonedb Member

I fergit, are you a therapist of an advocate or something of that nature?
  13. tansy

tansy New Member

Hi Simone

I have a background in relevant fields which helped but it's not necessary. In the past I have been involved in the disability movement too and learned a lot.

It's a lot easier, especially with these DDs, to work as part of a team; it can be inpsiring too.

tc, Tansy

14. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

It's funny to hear about psychiatrists. My ex sister-in-law is one and she is just about the most emotionally/mentally unstable person that I ever met. Physician heal thyself ! Many medical peope go into a field that is close to home.