Funding for Higher Education

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by WishBear, Mar 12, 2006.

  1. WishBear

    WishBear New Member


    I was wondering if anyone out there is aware of any scholarships or any other special funding for higher education for people with chronic illnesses (in my case, fibromyalgia).
    I have a B.A. and want to go to grad school, but I can't really afford it right now, and I don't have the energy to work all day (literaly) like some of my friends did to afford their graduate education.

    If anyone knows of anything that might help, even where I could get such information, let me know.

  2. kdeenak

    kdeenak New Member

    When I was going to nursing school and taking college courses about a year ago Arkansas Rehabilitation Servies paid for my tuition because of fibromyalgia. I don't know if they have that in every state or not, but it is worth checking into. This is a grant, so you aren't responsible for paying it back, even if you have to quit school.

    One of the counselors at the school told me about it and got me in contact with someone at office in the county I lived in at the time. I had an interview with her, and she wanted to know what medicines I was on, who diagnosed me, and then sent for records. I had to submit proof of income, as you couldn't make over a certain amount of money to qualify. I also had to give her my schedule of classes and had to have it signed by an official at the school with the school seal, I believe.

    It wasn't difficult to get it set up, I only had to go to the office twice. They do require you to send a letter I believe once a month to let them know how you are doing in school and if you are having any problems, and you have to maintain, I think a C average. You also have to take a certain number of required hours. I don't remember how many now, but in my last semester I was considered part-time (only going 1/2 days, four days a week)and they still paid for it.

    Hope you find that info beneficial.



[ advertisement ]