Funky Fingernails

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kar1953, Apr 11, 2003.

1. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

I have the weirdest fingernails. Am wondering if it has something to do with the FM. One nail is sunken so far that at times it pulls away from the skin on the sides of the nail & bleeds. This nail has been this way for years.

Within the past 6 months or so I've noticed all my other nails have developed horizontal bumps or ridges. My one thumb has more like a small mountain than a ridge!

I'm wondering if I have a deficiency or something.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks.......Kathi
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

For awhile I was having all kinds of problems with my finger nails and toe nails. But I have been taking Pro Energy (Malic Acid and Magnesium Glycinate) and ZMA (zinc, magnesium and vitamin B-6), since then my nails have been growing just fine and all the ridges and pealing are gone.

Also a lack of calcium can cause nail problems too, Silicea also.

Hope this helps.

Shalom, Shalom
  3. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Here is an article you might find interesting.
    Although I had been taking oral vitamins for a good deal of time--I finally discovered I was NOT absorbing them due to IBS/Leaky gut. That was the case in my diet as well, and malabsorption played a huge role in my ill health. I have noticed since beginning IM injections, solving the causes of IBS and leaky gut, my nails are becoming much healthier.
    Nails are a good indication of overall health.
    LL

Nail textures: Vertical ridges that appear on the nail can indicate disorders as simple as iron deficiency, poor absorption of vitamins and nutrients, overall poor health These vertical ridges, as well as bumpy nails, can also suggest that one is prone to developing arthritis. Ridges running horizontally across the nail can indicate physical or mental stress.

As mentioned before, ridges in the nails can be a result of vitamin deficiency, one of which is the B vitamins. Vitamin B is needed for strengthening, while vitamin B12 also strengthens while promoting normal nail growth and healthy coloring.

Forgot to mention zinc and iron also play a role in nail and overall health, from what I have read.

[This Message was Edited on 04/11/2003]
  4. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

Thanks for the info. I have just started taking B12 & another supplement that has all the B vitamins in it. I've been taking it for about a month & kinda think the ridges might be smaller - but it could be my imagination also. Will give it a little more time.

Good health....Kathi
  5. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

The B12 that I take is a Sublingual. They are little "dot" pills that you hold under your tongue till disolved, then swallow. Cherry flavor. Holding under the tounge maximizes absorbtion. Each dot has 500mg. I don't know what you mean by IM. I'm new to this board & there are a lot of abbreviations I don't understand! I buy the B12 at my local nutrition store (owner is very knowledgable) & the other supplement I buy from company that manufactures it.

There has been some discussion on this board about it. It is Seasilver. Lots of people say it is a "snakeoil" (hope that wasn't you, can't remember who it was!!) but I believe it is helping me. Each individual is different & should not judge something in a way that would discourage someone else from trying it. It has all the B vitamins in it, plus iron & silica (& lots more stuff). I do have approval by my doc to take this & eliminate some of the pill form supplements I had been taking.

I intend to ask doc next time I see him about my nails & see what he says. I've made a whole list of things to ask since finding this board!! He's gonna hate to see me coming! :)

Thanks for your input.

Good health........Kathi
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

These are called Beau Lines. They are an indication of a illness that is serious enough to temporarily stop nail and hair growth,while the body fights the illness. The nails grow in spurts and stops, producing horizontal lines. I have these, and it was my Cardiologist who noticed them and told me about it.
    As my IBS cleared up, I did notice a great improvement, but one thumb looks awful again, and I think it's because I am on the Guai, and can't take my good vitamins because they interfere with it. SeaSilver has several things in it that would interfere with Guai, but otherwise, is a good product in terms of what it contains. Most of us can't afford IV vitamins, so a powder that is mixed in liquid is probably the next best thing (unless you are on Guai)
    Klutzo
  7. DragonBall

DragonBall New Member

ive never had good nails they break off i have white flecks on4 of them . i have took various good quality vitamins for years.it doesent bother me about fancy polish or whatever i have more to worry about,i love my lipstick ,even if i dont go out much to wear it!!!!!!!
  8. crashcart

crashcart New Member

Hi Kathi,

I've had FM for about 10 years, and started to notice changes in my fingernails about 2 years after. I also read the book by Devin Starnyl,MD, (she has FM), and she lists that same problem as part of the syndrome. Along with the FM I've also had some osteoarthritic changes in my fingertips, with different sized, painful lumps just above the first knuckles. They have, in turn, caused further, larger changes in the fingernails above. They aren't a "big deal", but just one more pain in the butt from FM, eh?

If you haven't read Starnyl's book, give it a look. It's one of the most comprehensive listings of symptoms associated with FM I've ever read. She has a website also, where you can view a lot of her material without having to buy the book, but it's worth it. www.sover.net/~devstar/
    A lot of the websites for FM also have good lists. If you do a "Google" search on FM you'll find a ton of stuff. Navigate carefully. There are a lot of people out there looking for your money.
    Best Wishes,
    Lynn
  9. crashcart

crashcart New Member

BTW, IM does mean intramuscular. (I'm an RN.)
    Lynn
  10. crashcart

crashcart New Member

Again, BTW...if you take something in liquid form, by mouth, it's the same as swallowing a pill with water in terms of route of absorption. Your body will process it exactly the same. Drinking a liquid is very different from receiving something via IV, (intravenous), injection.
  11. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Yes, the IM would also block it if it has any chemical or natural salycilates (plant extracts). I don't even take natural vitamin E anymore, though the synthetic vitamin E is very hard to absorb. Anything that goes into or onto your body can block Guai. That is one reason so many don't even try it. It can be so exasperating to try to avoid salycilates, esp. when the natural sals are really the rage and are now being added to just about everything in sight!
    The lists at the guaidoc site can help, but are incomplete so you have to read ingredient lists every time you shop. Natural sals are being added to more products all the time, making it harder for us to find things we can use. I esp. dislike the pink, bubblegum flavored kids toothpaste I have to use. It just doesn't taste like my mouth is clean like it did with the mint pastes, but mint is a definite no-no. Some days I just use baking soda mixed with salt.
    Klutzo
  12. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Sorry to confuse you. You do not need a sal free diet, just supplements and meds and body products because they are concentrated. The sals in food are dilute enough for your liver to handle them. The all natural toothpaste is probably the worst possible you could use. It almost surely has plant extracts in it. Guai is one thing where chemical and unnatural is better. You simply must get and read the book to do it correctly.
    I do not take IM vitamins as I cannot afford things that insurance does not pay for. I take oral ones since they are better than nothing.
    Klutzo
  13. lumediluna

lumediluna New Member

Weird,

[This Message was Edited on 07/15/2003]
  14. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

for sharing your info with me. I thought I was the only one who has the weird fingernail thing going on. Guess I might as well save my money on the nail products available at the stores - which I keep buying - hoping one will help.

Lynn, I will check out that web site you mentioned. Thanks. Maybe see if our local library can find a copy. Hopefully, the title will be listed on the web site.

I had asked my family MD about my one sunken nail once & he said " Yes, I've seen a lot of nails like that" That's it. He had no clue what was wrong. I'm not knocking him - he's great - he just didn't know.

Kathi
  15. riter2

riter2 New Member

I was browsing this message board as I have recently been told I might have CFS. I really freaked when I saw your post. Your fingernails could be my description. It started on two fingers and has spread to all now to a toe. My nails have ridges like rollercoasters and the lines. I consulted a dermatologist and he didn't have the faintest idea. It was my pulmonary doc that looked at my nails, then ordered immunoglogulin testing mentioning CFS. My IGG was abnormal.

It is all too much for me but thanks for your post. It opened my eyes!!!

riter2

16. robbiebaby

robbiebaby New Member

I was afraid of losing my nails. I have it on 2 fingers, along with painful bumps at first knuckle on several fingers.
    I have excema and the dermatologist confirmed that it was excema. However, I also read in Devin Sarlanyl's book that it is a sign of FM.
  17. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

I only have problems with my nails. Nothing with knuckles so i'm thinking it's the fms. Sure wish there was something that could be done. I hate anyone looking at my nails - they're so funky!!

Thanks for your input.

Take care.........Kathi
  18. KathiM

KathiM New Member

There is a website quackwatch and it'll tell u all about the snake oil of sea silver !!!!!!!
    The company seems to have lots of troubles !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kathim