Funny Paraprosdokians - nope, they're not people

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by victoria, Oct 15, 2010.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

As someone wrote, it sounds more like a population (like Paraguans) or something Robin would say as in, "Holy Paraprosdokian, Batman!"
    But, from wikipedia: paraprosdokian is a figure of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected in a way that causes the reader or listener to reframe or reinterpret the first part... frequently used for humorous or dramatic effect. Some not only change the meaning of an early phrase, but also play on the double meaning of a particular word, creating a syllepsis.

You are free to execute your laws, and your citizens, as you see fit."
    -Star Trek: The Next Generation

"If I could say a few words, I'd be a better public speaker." —Homer Simpson

"If am reading this graph correctly — I'd be very surprised." —Stephen Colber

"A modest man, who has much to be modest about." —Winston Churchill

"She looks as though she's been poured into her clothes, and forgot to say when." —P. G. Wodehouse

"Have you ever tried just sitting down with your children, turning the TV off, and hitting them." —Homer Simpson

"I like going to the park and watching the children run around because they don't know I'm using blanks." —Emo Phillips

"He was at his best when the going was good." —Alistair Cooke on the Duke of Windsor[5]

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

War doesn’t determine who’s right, only who’s left.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

The evening news is where they begin with “Good evening,” and then proceed to tell you why it isn't.

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station....

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.

A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Hospitality: making your guests feel like they're at home, even if you wish they were.

Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.

Some cause happiness wherever they go. Others whenever they go.

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

[This Message was Edited on 10/15/2010]
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

The car stopped on a dime, which unfortunately was in a pedestrian’s pocket.”

Where there’s a will, I want to be in it.”

"If you are going through hell, keep going." — Winston Churchill

" It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried." Winston Churchill

and ...

"I haven't slept for ten days, because that would be too long." — Mitch Hedberg

3. JimB51

JimB51 Member

Very funny.