funny POLL: how long can you go without bathing?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannonsparkles, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Make no mistake, chronic B.O. is no laughing matter. But, many of us FMers and PWC (and our loved ones vicariously) may suffer from it on a daily basis. Disabling fatigue can transform even the most fastidious of us into, I'm afraid to say so, Oscar the Grouch. And I'm sure that HE had his reasons!

So, what's your personal record of the most days spent without bathing? Remember, as you cringe and hold your nose, this isn't a question of your standards of personal hygene. It's a record of endurance under inhumane conditions. We all know you would bathe on the hour if you could.

How did you, sturdy survivor, cope with the oily hair and the muskiness that won't go away no matter how many pajama changes you go through? How do you maintain your sense of personal dignity in the nearly palpable miasma of chronic illness? How did your family handle it?

And... can you beat MY record?
    Lets start the bidding at 11 days!!

(((love & stand back!!))) Shannon
    [This Message was Edited on 04/16/2006]
  2. skyeone

skyeone New Member

Hehe he hee,

This is funny in a way, at least it gave me a tickle. The longest I've ever gone without bathing has got to be around 6 or 7 days. I couldn't stand the smell anymore so I had to force myself to take a bath, the sad part is that I had to have my young daughter help me out of the tub after and get dressed. (I think she was 5 at the time)

Hugs... and thanks for this post,

Skye
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Shannon:
    Three days tops. I know it is not a record, but it's mine.

nyrofan
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

people used to go months. In the middle ages some thought bathing was unhealthful.
  5. marilynb

marilynb New Member

My hair is another story. I sometimes go a week without washing it. I figure, Hey at least I made it into the shower. I have thick hair & it doesn't really show dirt that much, so I guess I am lucky for that. My husband has thinner hair & it gets greasy after just one day so you can really tell it if he does not wash it every day.

Marilyn
  6. katdancer

katdancer New Member

I know I'm in the right place now! LOL!!!! I thought I was the only "nasty" one out there who just couldn't get the umph, energy or out of the slump, perhaps depression to get in and jump in the shower - so very glad to know I'm not alone - and I LOVE smelling and being clean but gosh sometimes........ the hair - I just reached my own personal goal - 7 days (had a reaction to sulfa medication) mouth and throat was full of blisters and just did not care perioid! Other body parts I'll sometimes go 3 days then finally get in and wash the "vitals" then with luck within a couple days I'll hit the shower but...... now with a hot tub I just need to figure out how to hide the soap bubbkes from my hubby cuz I could sure bathe in there!!!!!
  7. mom4three

mom4three New Member

6 days but it was the greasy hair..

I really don't have body odor. Is that weird?/
  8. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Again, I thought I was the only one. Standing in the shower is sooooo hard when you are exhausted and I have a huge tub, I am so afraid of hurting myself getting in and out of it.

4 days is the longest for me - but I live alone and never go anywhere. Good Lord, I am getting pathetic...

Sue
  9. futurehope

futurehope New Member

the longerst for me has been 4 Days.

I never have to worry about my hair. It never gets oily, although I wash it every time I shower.

I have fine course hair that is curly, past may shoulders.

This might help some people, sometimes when I do not have the energy to bathe, I use moist towelettes all over my body to clean off. You know, like baby wipes.

I also sometimes spray myself with body spray.

My family never says anything about it. Of course, I only have my husband and daughter.

Love and prayers,
    Brenda

10. findmind

findmind New Member

When I was a kid, we all took baths once a week...5 of us took turns on Sat. nite, to be clean for "dress-up" and church on Sunday!

I never had a problem with odor until I got sick! I NEVER showered every day like my daughters did...I really think TV ads made everyone think they had to shower 2x a day and wash their hair....to sell products.

Momma taught me to wash my "privates" before bed each nite or I'd get really smelly....

Well, after CFS and FM got me.....forget about it!!! For YEARS I was not able to bathe more than every 8-9 days and believe me, I really needed it by then! LOL

Now I'm better, but 4 or 5 showers ago I bent over to wipe out bottom of tub and could not get UP! DP had to come rescue me and get me on ice pack. Back has not been the same since.

I'm pretty good about every 5 days, but can go 7-8 before I can bear the thought of the energy it takes and actually end up enjoying it!

Great, honest topic....thanks!

findmind

11. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

I can't really say how long I've gone. With all the brain fog time blurs for me. If I'm in a bad flare, heck I can't remember my days. I can honestly say it can be several days. I have used the baby wipe trick many times. By the time I wipe down, run a brush through the hair as few times as possible and brush my teeth, I'm already in an energy deficit for the day. Whoa, just thinking about it makes me need to lay down.... :)
  12. mlp1954

mlp1954 New Member

I cannot imagine not showering every day. No matter how rotten I feel, I always shower, every single day. Sometimes twice a day. Hair wash every day too. When I had my hip replaced I had to go two weeks without a shower, and yikes, never again!! It was awful. I am getting my second hip done this year, and am not looking forward to no showers. Due to my hip problems I cannot take a bath, no way can I get in and sit there, showers are the only way for me. NO skipping days for me. Pat
  13. marilynb

marilynb New Member

My mom did not like to take showers & she used to take a bath about once a week. She got in the tub one time & could not get out & after that, no matter what I did to get her to take a bath, she was just too afraid to get in. She lived alone, so I installed a bar & a seat & also a hand held shower spray she could use, but she still wouldn't do it. I even offered to help her when I went over there, but she would not do it. She just took a "spit bath" (or as she called it, "a wh___'s bath") at the sink with a wash rag & soap. She never smelled. She hardly ever went out of the house, at least toward the end. All she did was sit in her chair, so she never really did anything to get her dirty. Even when she was put in the Nursering home last year, they gave her a bed bath 2 to 3 times a week. They even tried to roll her into the shower in a wheelchair, but she didn't want to do it. She passed away in October. I sure do miss her.

Marilyn
  14. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

Well the longest I have gone was probably about 10 days, and I was REALLY bedridden. That is when I later discovered baby wipes and started to use those when I could not make it to the tub or shower.

Now I bath basically daily or every other day and the day that I don't bath I use very moist baby wipes to do the job.

I have problems getting out of the tub and I hate calling for help. Standing in the shower is a complete pain but I had to just take one on Friday, and do the largest bubble bath soap up and wash everywhere with one swoop, rinse off and get out of there before my legs would collapse.

My hair, well is different from the remainder of the population and does not need to be washed daily otherwise it would fall out if I did. So my hair survives...

As for muskiness if I am smelling bad then for sure I will take a bath, I don't like to smell stinky LOL.

[This Message was Edited on 04/16/2006]
  15. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

Maybe more last fall when I was hospitalized for a burst small intestine.

Do the 'bath wipes' count? The nurses cleaned me up every other day or so, and 'washed' my hair with dry shampoo packs. They couldn't understand my reluctance to take a sit-down shower once it was approved. By this time, my GI tract was working-way overtime- and I didn't want to interrupt a nice warm shower with 20 minutes on the potty.

I have to wash my hair when it gets oily, otherwise my scalp really begins to hurt.

I do make lots of use of baby wipes to keep my underarms and perineal area clean every 2 days or so if I'm in a flare.

Tibbie
  16. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Didn't the members of Motley Crue try once go a month without bathing, while still sleeping with their girlfriends?

but seven is the max for me, on a camping trip in Colorado a few years back.

Last summer, I was so sick, though, that I went six days without a bath or shower.
    Wet Wipes only!
    Kholmes
  17. vp

vp New Member

My hair gets really oily and I can't stand it anymore. I had to keep it tied back all the time because it would touch my face, and then my face would break out horribly. The only problem was when I sleep I couldn't keep it awat from my face.
    Problem solved!!: I got about 9" cut off of it yesterday, and mow it doesn't reach my face! Maybe longer between showers now! Wooo Hooo.

I have another question sort of anong the same line. Does anyone have really bad BO (at times) they didn't have before becoming ill? I hadn't showered one day, but did clean up at the sink right before giong out with BF to grab something to eat. I hung the wash cloth over the metal bar that goes around the top of my bed.( I had a roomie at the time and always hung my towels and stuff in my room) An hour or so later my room smelled like something literally died in there and we could not figure out what it was coming from. It wasn't the dog, I didn't have any dirty laundry in there, did a mouse die in the heating duct, or in the attic? But to smell sooooooo bad after only a short period of time what could it be? It was that wash cloth. Made my eyes water just taking it down to the wash. Any ideas what this might be? I asked the Dr. if it might be from treating Lyme disease and she said it is possible, but she'd never heard of it. Maybe no one else was as brave as by BF was for bringing it up at the Dr. office. (could have killed him at the time-I was so embarrassed!)

Anyone else?
  18. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

Oh My! 11 days without bathing? WOW!
    I think the most without bathing was 5 days? That was when I camped with my dad as a child. I cannot go without a hot shower. I sometimes soak in a bath with lavender oil, or some other relaxing oil. But, I most say it is a pain to get out of. Sometimes I just think about getting in the tub (like right now) it sounds so soothing, but then I talk myself out of it. Just too tired and in pain to bother.
    ((HUGS))
    Cindy
  19. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

I have to take a shower every day.There has been a few times(in the winter) that I did every other day and I cannot stand it.No matter hwo bad I feel,I need a daily shower.In the summer,I'd like to take two,but my water/sewer bill is already outrageous.
  20. katdancer

katdancer New Member

Thanks for the post - nice to know I'm not alone out here!