FURTHER UPDATES ON BLOOD CLOT

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cromwell, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Thank you for all YOUR GOOD WISHES AND PRAYERS, IT MEANS SUCH A LOT TO ME.

Had a sleepless night due to terrible headache, got about an hour.

Here are some answers to questions:

They are doing a urine culture and gave me Zithromax(about the only antibiotic I can take OK). They dis a brain scan and saw no evidence the clot was still there, or had been.

They ran lung tests via blood work that show whether any clots have been in lungs. Plus all muy tests were normal. I have to wait till today for results of clotting test and a couple of others.

I have to have an trans=-esophegeal echocardiogram today, that they sedate you for. Hopefully there is a cardio who can do it today. This will check and see if the clot originated in the heart. The cardios do this in office.

I see great urologist today and he will scan the kidneys to see if clot formed there. He has all his own scanner etc.

It could be, too, that this clot came from sinus area and the finger was one of the first points it reached.

Main thing, this seems to have been a small clot, and they want to make sure it is not part of some larger clot still lurking somewhere, though that seems unlikely hopefully.

I see a head neck nose ear thoat and thyroid outfit tomorrow and they are very good supposedly.

It is strange as I really don't take meds per se, usually have low BP, exercise, am slender, eat right. When I was with first doctor my BP had skyrocketed with this clot.

It also could be that the Uristat may have interracted with the Prilosec and caused this. Also it could be Raynaurds, but I have never had it before, though my mom and a niece have/had it, and turn out not be a clot at all, though that is an outside bet.

I think the hardest thing I ever had to do was say goodbye to DH and little boy prior to be whisked off in the ambulance, and give them a life message, as at that stage I was not sure how serious it was. Whether the clot had dissolved completely. I thank God I seem OK today, if headaches and tired, and pray that this will be a blessing in disguise.

So keep asprin non coated handy at all times and chew it(one full strength) that could have saved my life really.

Love and thanks Anne C
  2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

It sounds as if they're covering all the possible problems although it can't be easy to go through all of these tests.

I hope you get some rest soon and continue taking care of yourself...

Hugs,

Nancy B.
  3. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

your tests are done right and with the least amount of stress possible.:)
    You have been through a scary experience, but it sounds like they are checking you out from top to bottom.:)
    That's a good thing, if there is anything they will find it and take care of it.
    I know you have many friends on this board that are praying for you and wishing you well.
    You don't know me(yet:) but I will be doing the same.
    Take care, Claudia
  4. darude

darude New Member

Glad to hear that everything seems to be OK so far. My mother in Law has been in hospital twice with blood clots. First time her only symptom was fatigue and the second was leg pain. They managed to dissolve the clots. Strange thinkg is she has some mysterious form of arthritis and they don't know what it is. mmmmmmmm sound familiar. So watch out for fatigue and leg pain.
  5. fivesue

fivesue New Member

It all sounds good. Sounds like you will have lots of docs to see, and I do hope all comes out well.

I will do the aspirin...have them right here.

Thanks,
    Sue
  6. pepper

pepper New Member

How did the TSE go? I hope that all is well.

(((HUGS)))Pepper
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

The Trans esop Ech test went very well. What happened when I called this morning to schedule the time in-they could not find my notes. The heart doctor, my FM, well it took them4 hours to get it sorted as the ER Doc was out.

So here I am wiht the IC meant to drinking lots, hanging in sans water so I can have the test done as they knock you out for it.

When I arrived at the same day unit, the heart doctor was totally apologetic. She said that the ER team should have sent for her yesterday and I should have had the test then and never been sent home with any doubt about blood clots. She was good. She happens to be my dad in laws doc. My FM was up in arms too re the delay and that they had not called him either, plus losing my notes, plus leaving it to me to make the test appt.

The test turned out well, just some dilation of the ascending aorta which is not a problem she said, heart looks very healthy. Whew. Went, groggily straight from there to urologist who said he felt the kidney tests can wait till next week as he thought I had been through enough.
    She thinks the blood clot may have come from close to or at point of origin, as she thinks I have connective tissue disease that is causing vascular spasms.

She explained that vascular spasms can make people have terrible muscle pains too, like FM. That the two can be connected!!! Though she feels I may have CREST syndrome.

Tomorrow I have the ENT testing. Good news, when they gave me the vesaid I said to give me something for my headache in with it so they said we are giving you Fenatil for pain. Boy that sure lifted my pain, and I came home after being hungry and eating very well, to pass into a wonderful slumber. Only thing is my neck and throat are aching as the test took longer than she thought, I know I was pretty awake for the last ten minutes of it, if dreamy.

Well, I think we can rule out dropping dead now. I too, had written farewell notes last night. Aren't we cute!!!

Love you all for being there for me. Anne C
  8. pepper

pepper New Member

that all went well. And they knocked you out for it!

My sister has had several Trans Esophageal Echos done and they were horrific - because she was awake during the entire procedure! Wait until I tell her that you were put out for it. The doctors have always told her that you have to be awake so that the gag reflex is in place.

You seem to have very good doctors taking care of you and they sure didn't waste any time getting things done. That is very impressive.

Whew!

(((HUGS)))Pepper
  9. neeter1

neeter1 New Member

I don't know if this will help or not...summer before last I had to fly down to my sister's in Texas..She was in ICU almost dying..In and out of hospitals for months..Had clots in lungs, etc..When I got back to Vermont I had a visit with my nurse/practioner and mentioned what was going on..She had me tested for Factor V Leiden..a mutant gene that is hereditary..causes you to clot-35 to 50 percent more than normal folk. She tested my daughter and she was positive also. This is also what caused that reporter at the beginning of the Iraq war to have a pulmonary embolism..he had Factor V Leiden and didn't know it. Am taking aspirin daily, a glass of red wine..eat salmon, etc..foods that help keep blood flowing.

Neeter
  10. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

To all. I will ask her to run that V Leiden test though they may alreday have done so. I did lose a brother with a blood clot in toe, that killed him next day so who knows.

The FM Pain and headache/dizziness is still wiped out with having that FENTANYL which I understand is very effective for connective tissue disorders. You can apparently get a patch or lollipop of it. Strangely, the throat pain from procedure is hurting a lot, but for some reason the FM pain is hardly apparent today.

Re Gag refelx. It is the spray they use in the throat, that removes gag reflex. This doc did not use it and also when I have my upper endos I request no spray as I am allergic to it. If they don't use the spray, they sould knock her out. I cannot imagine having it done conscious as it is painful. Have your sister insist next time, as my feeling is I bet they are using the spray as otherwise, awake, they would never get tube down. Archaic doctor!

Had a great night's sleep too, have ENT tests today. Much Love and thankfulness for all here.

Love Anne C
  11. JLH

JLH New Member

Glad to hear that things are going well, so far, and that you had a good night's sleep.

My daughter got a blood clot in her leg last year. She had to have a total hysterectomy at age 30, so her Gyn doc put her on estrogen.

Turns out that the estrogen is what caused the clot! She is now off of it, of course, and having hot flashes like crazy!

It's funny, cause I have been on estrogen for 10+ years with no problems.

Hope all your future tests turn out OK.

I'm saying a prayer for you, dear.

Much love,
    Janet
  12. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Anne,
    Why do you say to keep a regular aspirin handy and chew it? I have the coated aspirins here. A bottle upstairs and a bottle downstairs.

I have had some really bad indigestion and heartburn and stomach problems from taking a sublingual dietary supplement for 2 months. I get the pain after I eat and when I lay down and I know I'm not supposed to lay down after I eat, but I seem to feel the need to. So I have been using tons of Tums and Pepto-Bismol lately.

I quit the supplement less than a week ago, but I'm all torn up inside from it.

Anyway, I hope everything will be okay with you. I have been following your story about your finger.

I take Diclofenac daily, so I'm really not supposed to be on a aspirin, but in an emergency, I would take one.

Prayers and hugs,
    Faye
  13. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

ALTHOUGH under normal use, coated asprin is best, if you suspect heart attack or stroke uncoated asprin, chew it. is what you will need as this hits the blood stream quicker, although I would imagine if you chew the coated it would hit faster.

Anne C
  14. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I just read in one of my women's magazines that aspirin for a stroke may NOT be a good idea.

The article mentioned that some strokes are caused by BLEEDING in the brain and adding an aspirin may add to the problem.

I'd have to check, but I think it was the latest Good Housekeeping magazine and there is an extensive article on women's heart attack symptoms and the symptoms of stroke as well.

Hugs,

Nancy B.