FYI - List of FM Symptoms, including some I wasn't aware of!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ssMarilyn, Sep 14, 2002.

1. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I have a sore throat most of the time, and had heard somewhere, that it was part of FM, so I was researching this online. I found a list of FM symptoms, that included some things I wasn't aware of. I thought I'd post the list here for anyone that would be interested in learning more!

Marilyn :)

Symptoms reported by FMS patients:

persistent pain in the neck, shoulder, low back, and hip;

waking up without feeling rested;

severe fatigue;

waking frequently during the night;

waking with stiffness and achiness;

hypersensitivity to cold and/or heat;

complaints of abdominal pain;

recurrent fronto-occipital headaches;

sensations of numbness or tingling in hands and feet;

constipation and diarrhea; and

anxiety and depression.[1,5]

Other symptoms

spastic colon,

mitral valve prolapse,

bursitis,

chondromalacia,

temporomandibular joint dysfunction,

vertigo,

sinus and thyroid problems,

concentration problems,

swollen glands, and tinnitus.

dyspnea,

hypoglycemic- like syndrome,

dysphagia,

vasomotor rhinitis,

mold and yeast sensitivity,

menstrual problems,

memory impairment,

motor coordination problems,

pseudoangina,

conjunctivitis,

carbohydrate craving,

bloating,

bruising,

tender lymph nodes,

sore throat,

leg cramps,

groin pain,

mottled skin,

muscle twitching,

and lack of endurance.
  2. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I have a sore throat most of the time, and had heard somewhere, that it was part of FM, so I was researching this online. I found a list of FM symptoms, that included some things I wasn't aware of. I thought I'd post the list here for anyone that would be interested in learning more!

Symptoms reported by FMS patients:

persistent pain in the neck, shoulder, low back, and hip;

waking up without feeling rested;

severe fatigue;

waking frequently during the night;

waking with stiffness and achiness;

hypersensitivity to cold and/or heat;

complaints of abdominal pain;

recurrent fronto-occipital headaches;

sensations of numbness or tingling in hands and feet;

constipation and diarrhea; and

anxiety and depression.[1,5]

Other symptoms

spastic colon,

mitral valve prolapse,

bursitis,

chondromalacia,

temporomandibular joint dysfunction,

vertigo,

sinus and thyroid problems,

concentration problems,

swollen glands, and tinnitus.

dyspnea,

hypoglycemic- like syndrome,

dysphagia,

vasomotor rhinitis,

mold and yeast sensitivity,

menstrual problems,

memory impairment,

motor coordination problems,

pseudoangina,

conjunctivitis,

carbohydrate craving,

bloating,

bruising,

tender lymph nodes,

sore throat,

leg cramps,

groin pain,

mottled skin,

muscle twitching,

and lack of endurance.
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Costochondritis and vulvar vestibulitis are both missing and they afflict a significant minority of FMS patients.
    I had never seen conjunctivitis on an FMS list before, nor chondromalacia, which I had surgery for back in 1985.
    Thanks for posting this. It should be especially helpful to newbies.
    Klutzo
  4. Nana2Andromeda

Nana2Andromeda New Member

Hi.....
    I was looking at your list of other symptoms of FM and can you tell me where you got your info from? I would like to know more about the mitral valve prolaspse. This is something I have and was told I got it from taking the diet drug phen-phen, which I could have, but would like to do the research on it. This is very interesting....
    Thanks so much....

Donna :) :) :)
  5. LuvMeCritters

LuvMeCritters New Member

Thanks for posting. I have one question...what are
    recurrent "fronto-occipital headaches"?

I have migraines, but then I have headaches that start in the back of my neck and spread into the back of my head. Is that what a fronto-occipital headache is?

Regina
  6. allhart

allhart New Member

thanks for the list its a prtty good one its deffently worth saving
  7. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

list? Thanks for posting.

Now, I will go and stick my head in the sand.

The numbness and tingling and weakness along with my body just wanting to colapse sometimes has my doc wanting me to have an EMG. I am having it next week and I told him it is just part of FMS and he said well maybe but, lets just be safe.

Reading these lists can really help putting ones mind at ease.

I also know that new symtoms should always be checked out and rule out tests should be done. That's why I said okay to the EMG's. The swagering feeling some times with the symtoms I wrote above are scarry but, the new addidtion was the body wanting to just collapse. I will take a step and my legs just don't want to sometimes. They haven't let me down so far but, they sure make me take a seat.

Thank you, Kim and Gary
  8. domesticgoddess

domesticgoddess New Member

I've also been dx with chondritis (sp?) and vulvar vestibulitis BUT I've had not clue nor dont think any of my doctors to the relation of a Fibromyalgia patient?

Please explain

Gentleness
  9. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I tried to find info on this on the Internet, but came up with nothing, so decided to just go to dictionary.com and look up the meaning of the words.

fronto\Fron"to-\ [L. frons, frontis, the forehead.] (Anat.) A combining form signifying relating to the forehead or the frontal bone; as, fronto-parietal, relating to the frontal and the parietal bones; fronto-nasal, etc.fronto

Occipital bone (Anat.), the bone which forms the posterior segment of the skull and surrounds the great foramen by which the spinal cord leaves the cranium. In the higher vertebrates it is usually composed of four bones, which become consolidated in the adult.

Okay, now does anyone understand that? If so, I'd like to know what that means. (kinda sounds like a headache that starts in the front of the skull and moves around to the back?) I've never in my life had headeaches until the past 3 years. Now I get them about once a month, and my head will hurt to the point that it bothers me to even lay on a pillow. The pain will start in the front on one side, then move to the other side, or sometimes it's just in the back. On occasion I get nausea with the headache. They usually last at least 2 days. They're not migraines, but sure put a hitch in my gitalong!

10. PMangels

PMangels New Member

Yes, I would say that I have 80% of what is on that list.

JELLYbean, Yes, I have the same when I get up in the morning. Not only does the bottom of my feet hurt but so do my ankles and it takes me a bit to get walking and free of the pain.

HUGS
    Arlene
  11. mubblefubbles

mubblefubbles New Member

The definitions you got from the dictionary and your conclusion sounds about right. I remember from bio that yes the frontal lobe is, (obviously i guess), the from part of the brain, the perietal (sp?) is on the side and the occipital lobes are at the back.
    I would tend to agree with your idea of what the headaches are, starting at the back and then working around the sides to the front, (or perhaps just the opposite), if not only from my own experience with many similar migranes.

Thank you so much for posting that list, I'm new and trying to learn all that I can, and while it sucks that I have the majority of these symptoms, it kind of helps knowing that there is a reason

Robin
    [This Message was Edited on 09/14/2002]
  12. deecrossett

deecrossett New Member

Hi Marilyn, I have 2 for your list, irritable bladder and hypersensivity to noise and light. About the menstrual problems, I have a question. Are irregular periods possibly caused by Fibro or CFS? In the last month and a half I have had three periods, every two weeks. I don't think it's menopausal, I am 43; I do remember that my Mother went through Menopause for 4 years, bless her heart. I approached my PCP about this two years ago and his opinion was that it wasn't and then said that once we have this pain thing fixed, we'll look into it. Since then, I was diagnosed with FMS and CFS. I'm taking iron tablets to try and regain some energy from all this, I was getting really lethargic. And yes, they have eased the lethargy, but I'm getting a blood workup ordered by my Rheumy. Any ideas?
    God bless, Deena
  13. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I really don't know if period irregularities can be caused by FM or not, but DO know they are caused by perimenopause, which starts in our 30's and 40's. I believe hormones cause the irregularities and I don't see how they would tie in with FM?

14. jeanann

jeanann New Member

Interstital Cystitis is also another symptom of FMS. Also frequency and urgency to urinate and bladder problems in general.

(((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))
  15. clprez

clprez New Member

I get them mostly because of sinus drainage. I always think I have a sinus infection when my tonsils are bright red and there's mucous in the wholes, but it goes away in a few days. I have some swollen salivary glands, so I went to an ENT, just in case they might be Sjogrens, and he asked if my mucous is really thick. It is. He says that's why I get sore throats, because the stuff just hangs in there, and doesn't go down. He said that instead of making 2 quarts of thin mucous I'm making 1/2 quart of thick gunk.

Thanks for the list Marilyn. It's very informative.

Deena. I have found it best to treat each of my symptoms as if it weren't from my FMS. If it gets bad enough, I go to a doctor. Sometimes they can give you prescriptions, supplements or home remedies to help the symptom. I also feel better if I know what it is.

Carol
  16. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Ever since I had rhinoplasty back in 1991, I've experienced some foul, rotton smelling drainage from my nose on occasion. It's not all the time, but very frequently.....like a few times a month. On occasion my nose even hurts. I don't have tonsils, and don't have a cold or a cough, just an irritated throat. I don't have a sore throat all the time, but do have it several days out of each month. It might be good for a couple days, then sore for several days. It's sore on a more frequent basis in the past year. Also, when I talk to someone for a short period of time, my throat feels like it's tightning up and feels very uncomfortable. I wonder if I don't have an occasional sinus infection resulting from my rhinoplasty? If so, why does it come and go? If it was an infection, wouldn't it stay until I took an antibiotic to get rid of it? I remember the day after my surgery, when I was sitting in my hospital bed and the nurse came in and started pulling the gauze packing out of my nose. I swear there was 50 feet of that stuff in there! She just kept pulling and pulling and pulling!! The barf tray I was holding in front of me was overflowing with packing! I wonder if something got left in my sinus? I am SO tired of sucking on lozenges all the time.

17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks for the list. So much of the time one of us will post with a symptom only to find that it is very common anomg people with our illnesses. BTW, do you use salt water to sniff up your nose into your sinuses every day? That is one of the best things you can do to clear out that foul smelling and tasting gunk which gets stuck in the sinuses. The salt water loosens it up so that it can clear the sinuses before it becomes peutrid. Don't buy the OTC preparations; they contain a chemical preservative that is harmful to the nasal mucus membrames. Make your own at home with sea salt. Massaging the sinus areas on the face can help keep things moving too. I found that pressing alongside the nose next to the eyes is especially helpful. Keeping the air humid helps too. I have a problem with that in FL because in the summertime, the A/C dries out the air. Otherwise, we would have mold problems inside. I can steam a little water on the stove and inhale it or simply go outside where it's like a sauna :)

You can add vulvadynia, interstitial cystitis, vision problems, irregular periods from the onset on menses, costalchondritis, and periferal neuropathy, hypoglycemia, and nails that all break at once to your list. I'm sure there are lots more, but I know these are common for us.

Love, Mikie
  18. klutzo

klutzo New Member

75% of FMS patients have a Mitral Valve Prolapse. If you want to learn some really interesting stuff about this, do a websearch for "Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndrome", which includes FMS as one of it's symptoms.
    Fronto-occipital headaches are more commonly referred to as "band" headaches or muscle tension headaches because the pain forms a tight band around your head from back to front with no pain on the top.
    Costochondritis is an inflammation where the muscles join to the bones of the rib cage. Vulvar vestibulitis is an inflammation of the vestibular part of the vulva and like vulvodynia (non-specific vulvar pain), all of these are considered to be concommittant conditions with FMS, meaning they can exist on their own, but are more common in those with FMS. I find it interesting that even though FMS is not inflammatory, we have so many concommittant conditions that are! Tendonitis, bursitis and trigger finger are 3 more inflammatory problems that occur more often in FMSers.
    Hope that helps,
    Klutzo
  19. Ellie5748

Ellie5748 New Member

I've found that three of the worst that I just cannot escape are, sensivity to light, (my husband said I live in the land of darkness)noise and, light. Along with all the other things there are to mess one up, I would think that there would be more on the market to help. I think I'll go crawl back into my pit. Today is not a good day. Have a gentle day.

Regards,

Ellen
  20. clprez

clprez New Member

Sounds yucky!!! (no better word for it.)

I know exactly what your saying about the foul smelling stuff.

I also have a throat tightening sensation like you indicate. I don't know why either.

I didn't have to have rhinoplasty, but my septum is just enough off that one side of my sinuses collects is harder to drain than the other, so all kinds of critters start growing in there. If that drains down my throat, my throat is really sore, and that's when it smells. Probably from staying inside my sinuses for so long and brewing up a smelly concoction.

Mine also comes and goes a lot like yours. They last for a few days, and go away for awhile. My worst sore throats are when the back of my throat is bright red, so you might have something like this, because it doesn't involve tonsils.

Do you feel like you constantly have to keep the back of your throat coated with something, or else it feels like it must be completely dry and going to crack up?

I wish I could be of more help. I am trying to figure out a correlation, and if I do, I'll let you know. Do you have allergies? I don't have enough data, but I'm starting to think along those lines. I'm also wondering if perhaps I don't get an infection, but that since our immune systems are screwed up, our throats overreact, which is why antibiotics aren't needed. Just a theory.

Soft Hugs,

Carol