Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by blueski31717, Feb 16, 2007.

1. blueski31717

blueski31717 New Member

Just wanted ya'll to know a new scam is out there and is really taking alot of people for thousands of dollars.

I got a letter the other day and had a $2,900 check in it. Looked for real. The letter attached stated I had won the Ireland lotto. It stated the check was to cover a fee for the american person I had to go through and to send them 2,800 dollars to cover that fee.

So the gist of this was I was suppose to deposit this check in my checking account call a number to foreward the monies to another party and wait for my cash winfall of 120,000 dollars that I had won in the lotto......

Well I wasn't born yesterday...first I did not enter a lotto. second it just did not sound right so I got on the net and sure enough It is a scam called Imperial foundation lotto scam.

I then looked on the check and got on the net again and found the company name and number ...

The company the check is drawn on is an electric company in california and just became aware someone was making checks in their name, they said the checks were no good and had I deposited it and sent the people the 2800 dollars I would of been responsible for that money.

I feel sorry for the elder community who is on a fixed income or the newely married couple struggling to make ends meet who really believe what the letter said. It makes me so mad.

I have been around the block too many times to be scammed like that but I read on the net many people did get scammed and are responsible for that money-

Just wanted you to know and be careful....
    [This Message was Edited on 02/16/2007]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

warning. Something else to be alert for.
  3. ckball

ckball New Member

I got a check for $3800 last summer. I found the bank on line and called them. I sent the check to them.

NEVER cash a check received in the mail. There are so many variations of this scam. Good catch-glad you turned them in.
  4. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

I am not sure if I have receoive a check but I have gottn quite a few e-mails saying I had won money and lL I had to do was blah, blah. blah.!! I used to get loads of them I and just deleted them. Hadn't seen any more for quite awhile and then I starated to get a few more recently.

Some are from Nigeria and some other places. Either I supposedly won money or I was supposed to be helping somebody out in some strange place.

There are to many scams out them and as they say - if it looks too good to be true, it usually is. Any checks that I have gotten are usually not real checks, I think. If you cash it you are in deep trouble !! I usually google it too on the e-mails and they are scams.

It is a shame to have to so leary of everything with so many scams around and people ready to do anything to get your money.

Granni (Marilyn)
  5. blueski31717

blueski31717 New Member

Believe it or not I recieved another check for $2,900 I might just give it to the p.o like you said.
  6. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Would you believe the city treasuror of a town here in Washington fell for the Nigerian scam!!!

After he lost all his money he was caught embezelling from the city to make up for the loss.

You would think a person in his position would be smarter than that!

Stop and smell the puppies!
  7. Bambi

Bambi New Member

from people who say they are going to get this huge estate from a king, they are his lawyer and he's dead..and he needs me to be a "relative" of the king to get the money..which would be illegal if you even fell for it. To emails asking me to update my banking info on banks I don't use. To wanting to buy puppies
    from some guy in buy MY puppies that is.

In the mail I get all sorts of checks like you mention and on and on. I think it's pathetic that someone has to sit around and think up ways to scam people out of money THEY worked hard for and in some elderly cases, all they have in the world!! If they spent half as much time thinking up legitimate ways to make money they'd probably be millionaires!

There's only one kind of person I hate worse than a liar and that's a thief!! These people fill both descriptions! Hugs, Bambi