GABA and the Blood Brain Barrier

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by FaithHopeCure, Apr 2, 2012.

1. FaithHopeCure

FaithHopeCure New Member

Hi all,
    I am doing a lot of research concerning the need for deep sleep. According to Dr. Ginevra Liptan, author of Figuring out Fibromyalgia, it is deep sleep that we are so lacking. She shows studies of fibro patients spending as little as 4 minutes in deep sleep compared to 75 minutes in a non-fibro patient. And as most of us know, deep sleep is where our muscles and cells are repaired and growth hormones are released. GABA does help improve deep sleep, but now the question is does the supplement get past the blood brain barrier?

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/337555-do-gaba-supplements-improve-sleep-panic-anxiety/#ixzz1qwBBvPw6

I will call the Prohealth customer service department tomorrow for more information on the GABA. My question is, does the Prohealth Peaceful Nights which has GABA in it have the bacteria, Lactohacillus hilgardii?
  2. mbofov

mbofov Member

l-theanine DOES cross the blood-brain barrier and helps produce GABA. So I don't think you need to find the particular form of GABA made from that bacteria as I believe the l-theanine will work just as will, and is very easy to find.

Just like you don't take serotonin by itself, but the amino acid 5-htp helps the body produce serotonin. so l-theanine produces GABA and does cross the blood-brain barrier.

Mary
  3. ikathy

ikathy New Member

I agree sleep is one of the keys to feeling better. I also read her book and she recommends Xyrem. I tried Xyrem, but it did not work for me.

Jinlee, what do you take for sleep. Thanks

Kathy
  4. roge

roge Member

definitely agree that FMers do not get deep slepp (my sleep study showed no stage 4 and 2 minutes of stage 3). and yes muscles and tendons heal in deep sleep and so many other processes occur in deep sleep and no wonder our soft tissues feel the way they do.

I am also a believer that we are low in growth hormone and that it can help. I have battled my insurer for 3 years to try and get funding but they are not budging so I will soon be trying it and paying for it myself as I am desperate as in last 3 years I now have pretty bad tendonitis and tenosynivtis of both ankle tendons, big toe tendons, fingers , wrists and even planatar facitis. all this tenosynivitis makes me think perhaps lupus but also thyroid disease can cause tenosynivitis as well and my TSH has been in 4's and was ready to start some thyroid but then last few years i have been feeling hyperthyroid more than hypo and feels like I am cycling and i think early hashimotos can do this and i do have borderline thyroid peroxidase antibodies and my T3 is borderline high so all very confusing.

As of a few years ago after extensive research, the drugs that were shown to increase slow wave sleep (deep) were : trazadone, neurotnin and xyrem. maybe baclofen - not sure. and yes l-theanine can help raise gaba and dopamine. good luck

cheers
  5. FaithHopeCure

FaithHopeCure New Member

Hi all,
    Thank you so much for all your comments! So helpful to know that many of us are struggling with sleep. I have tried the trazadone and neurotnin combo but it did not work for me. Neurotnin was not helpful so they added trazadone and it got my heart beating so hard that I had to stop it. I have also tried the L-theanine which I use during the day for late afternoon headaches and body aches, but it is not enough for sleeping through the night.

I have insomnia pretty bad and the only thing the helps is Ambian, which helps me sleep but does not help the fibro. I have read that all the sleep aid including benzos don't put you in deep sleep (I have tried them all).

I am disapointed to hear that the Xyrem did not work for Kathy, but I could not afford that med anyway. For right now I am going to stick the the l-theanine during the day with 5Htp and Coq10, vitamin B's and D. At night I am going to do the fibrosleep and the gaba in peaceful sleep.

I know I need as much brain relaxation as possible inorder to stay asleep. I have had surgery and my brain was awake during the first half of the surgery. I could not feel anything, although I could hear the doctors talking. It was a three hour surgery and when I woke up I was in a tremdous amount of pain!

I have too much brain activity or fight or flight response at night. Although, during the day I am a very positive person and most of the time I have a smile on my face. I know longer talk about the constant pain that I am because people just don't understand. It is so great to be apart of this support group!
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I actually take the generic, clonazepam. A sleep study showed that slight seizure activity was keeping me from getting the necessary stages of restorative sleep no matter how many hours I slept. It has been like a miracle drug. I always have it on hand during the day in case o sensory overload from loud sounds, harsh lighting, touch issues, smells and confusion like lots of cars changing lanes ahead of me on the road.

Quality sleep is vital to our healing.

Love, Mikie
  7. ikathy

ikathy New Member

I was disappointed that Xyrem did not work for me either. I tried it two different times. The first time my lower eyelids swelled up. Xyrem has a very high salt content so that is most likely what it was caused from.

I tried it a second time last year and when I would take my first dose I would feel this intense pain in my back. It did not happen every time. Sometimes when I would get up to take the second dose I would be dizzy and unstable on my feet.

In the morning, my leg muscles would feel so tight. I was really disappointed that it did not work for me since it did so well in the studies. In my sleep study, I got about 17% stage 4 that night. I guess that is not so bad, however, I took an ambien and neurontin to be able to fall asleep otherwise I would just lay there wide awake. I've always had a hard time falling asleep.

The xyrem cost me $30.00 per month. The doctor really pushed the xyrem to me and to his other patients (I could hear him talking to patients in other rooms because the walls were so thin). I don't know how he got it approved for me since it was clear that I do not have narcolepsy.

It really is trial and error of what meds/supplements will work for you. I do not believe that fibromyalgia is caused by a sleep disorder. On the nights when I do sleep well, I may not be as sore in the morning but I still have a certain level of pain that is always present.

My mother-in-law (not diagnosed with fibro) sleeps horribly most nights, but does not have pain.
  8. FrustratedInBuffalo

FrustratedInBuffalo New Member

Who was your doctor? I'm having a hell of a time finding a physician to prescribe Xyrem for FM.