gaba plus inositol and niacinamide equal to valium??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by goldenrod, Jan 10, 2005.

1. goldenrod

goldenrod New Member

I have read several articals stating that gaba taken with inositol and niacinamide is as good as valium for anxiety. i am considering trying it for anxiety but doubt that it can be true. has anyone tried this combo and what were the results?
    thanks to anyone who answers my post.
    take care
  2. goldenrod

goldenrod New Member

3. Loveday

Loveday New Member

Hi....I have not heard anything about this combination but I do know that in a vitamin catolog that I get...they have one pill with all 3 ingredients in it.. It is called Gaba Complex and has 200mg of Gaba, 1200 mg of Inositol and 400mg of Niacin. If you find out...would you please post so that I would know and I will order. The only thing I think if it does work are the mg's in this formula that I know of...enough. I will check ImmuneSupport .com to see if so.
    Have a great day!
  4. donnaray

donnaray New Member

I don't know if it's as good as valium because I've never taken valium but it is a good relaxer. I take it sometimes to help the achiness and it seems to help most of the time. I only take it medicinally, so I don't know if it works better if you take it on a daily basis but so far, it seems to help me with aches and it doesn't seem to make me sleepy.
  5. deliarose

deliarose New Member

so makes sense...

google pharmagaba.. and read the blurb.. not recommending the product per se.. but the label info has some interesting info on the role of gaba.
  6. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

I take paxil, an SSRI antidepressant. I've been strongly warned against taking GABA or 5HTP. The combination of SSRI and these supplements can cause seratonin syndrome, potentially fatal.
  7. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

GABA does not help your brain produce serotonin so is not linked to serotonin syndrome.

The amino acids 5-htp and l-tryptophan are the ones which help produce serotonin, and they are the ones which must be avoided with SSRIs.

l-theanine and GABA are both very calming and help produce alpha waves in your brain. I think l-theanine is better than GABA because it crosses the blood-brain barrier more easily and is thus more effective. l-theanine helps your brain produce GABA.