GABA users - read todays news on it.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CelticLadee, May 2, 2003.

1. CelticLadee

CelticLadee New Member

Hello fellow GABA users.
    I read this article this morning in the newspaper and thought it may be of some interest to you as it was to me.
    My best to you. CLD

May 2, 2:06 AM EDT

Study: Chemical May Help Aging Brains

By PAUL RECER
    AP Science Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Doses of a neurochemical called GABA may reinvigorate aging brains, according to research involving very old monkeys.

In a study appearing Friday in the journal Science, researchers at the University of Utah report that GABA appears to help aged Rhesus monkeys focus their vision and thinking processes by silencing the interfering static from other neurons in their brains.

GABA screens out the stray nerve signals that may make thinking and seeing difficult in older brains, said Audie G. Leventhal, a professor at the University of Utah School of Medicine and first author of the study.

"It eliminates the garbage signals," he said.

Leventhal said that in old primates, both human and monkey, there is a decline in the levels of GABA, a chemical that inhibits neuron signals in the brain. Without enough of that control, he said, the brain is distracted and overwhelmed by stray signals, in the same way the ear is overwhelmed when trying to hear a whisper at a rock concert.

"There, you wouldn't really hear anything," he said. "But if there is screaming in an empty room, then it is very easy to hear. That is sort of what GABA does."

Without sufficient levels of GABA to drown out all of the background signals, said Leventhal, "then all of your higher brain functions go bad."

Dr. Bernard W. Agranoff, a neurochemist and professor of psychiatry at the University of Michigan, said the study showing the effect of GABA in aging brains is an important finding that should be researched further in humans.

"It doesn't automatically point toward a treatment, but it is an observation that needs to be followed up," said Agranoff, who was not involved in the research. "It is a quite interesting finding and the data looks very good."

In the study, Leventhal and his co-authors measured the electrical activity of neurons in specific parts of the brains of both young and old Rhesus monkeys as the animals were exposed to light patterns flashed on a computer screen.

Earlier work had shown that in young monkeys some neurons fired only for horizontal patterns, while others responded only to vertical or to diagonal patterns. In older monkeys, however, the neurons fired almost randomly, suggesting the brain cells had a diminished ability to distinguish shapes and motions.

When minute quantities of GABA were injected directly into neurons, the brains of the older monkeys responded just like those of the young animals, Leventhal said. Signals were sharp and clean as neurons fired appropriately for each of the patterns on the screen, he said.

The effect lasted only as long as GABA levels were maintained. When the chemical was removed, the brains of the old monkeys reverted to their aged confusion within a few minutes, Leventhal said. Added GABA appeared to have no effect on the young.

The tests were conducted on six young monkeys, age 7 to 9, and on seven old monkeys, age 21 to 32.

"These monkeys age about three times faster than humans," Leventhal said. "A 30-year-old Rhesus is equal to about a 90-year-old person."

Some tranquilizers, such as Valium, Xanax and Librium, increase the levels of GABA in the brain of human patients. This suggests that these drugs might sharpen aged minds, but that is an idea that first must be carefully tested, Leventhal said.

"The idea is counterintuitive," he said. "The idea that to get grandpa to move faster you have to tranquilize him isn't something that makes a lot of sense without these results."

---

On the Net:

Science: http://www.sciencemag.org
  2. sofy

sofy New Member

What does it do? GABA is a natural calming and anti-epileptic agent in the brain that is manufactured from the amino acidglutamine and glucose. Since GABA does not cross the blood-brain barrier very well (i.e., it cannot be transported efficiently into the brain from the bloodstream), virtually all of the GABA found in the brain is manufactured there.1 For that reason, supplemental GABA would not be expected to increase levels of GABA in the brain. Two doctors have reported that GABA is beneficial in the treatment of a variety of brain disorders, including epilepsy and schizophrenia.2 However, those reports have not been substantiated with clinical trials. High intake of GABA was shown to produce a significant increase in plasma growth-hormone levels (single administration of 5,000 mg) and prolactin (daily administration of 18,000 mg for four days) in one human study.3 However, the clinical significance of these observations is not clear.

Where is it found? GABA is found as a nutritional supplement, primarily in capsules and tablets.

Who is likely to be deficient? Some people with anxiety, panic disorders, and depression may not manufacture sufficient levels of GABA.

How much is usually taken? Some doctors recommend GABA in the amount of 200 mg four times daily.

Are there any side effects or interactions? The safety of GABA supplementation has not been demonstrated in human trials.

At the time of writing, there were no well-known drug interactions with GABA.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I get my GABA from the Klonopin. I know it's working because it decreases sensory overload, allows quality sleep, stops anxiety, and decreases my tinnitus. Since being on it, I also have less pain and no longer get muscle spasms.

Thanks for posting this.

Love, Mikie
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I read about a study that showed Fibro patients were deficient in GABA.
    I take 750 mgs. twice a day, which is the maximum safe dose.
    While it's true that you do need an awful lot for any to be absorbed, the same is true of Neurontin....most of it does not get through the blood brain barrier.
    I do notice a difference with GABA, less than I did with Neurontin, but without the awful side-effects of Neurontin.
    I get most of my GABA from Xanax, but taking a GABA supp. helps me keep my Xanax dosage low.
    Klutzo