GABA?? When do you take it? Does it help?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fivesue, May 31, 2005.

1. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I just got some GABA from Pro-Health, and as it a calming agent, I wondered when was the best time to take it.

I'm sure it doesn't work instantly or does it? Guess I need a little direction on the best way to get the most out of this supplement.

Have you tried it? Does it seem effective to you? Any input you have would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sue
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Bumping up...hoping for some response
  3. fivesue

fivesue New Member

last shot at this. Anyone have any experience with GABA? Any response, negative or positive, would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sue
  4. kbak

kbak Member

I'm taking the L-theanine w/gaba & 5-htp. I take it at nite with my nerve pain pill. It works well for me. I do take the Gaba once during the day. I don't think you feel anything dramatic from it. It just makes me a little more mellow. I thnk these two have more subtle effects.

Kathe
  5. lea

lea Member

what do you take for your nerve pain?
    thank you
    best,
    lea
  6. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I started taking GABA several weeks ago. At first I didn't notice any difference. After talking to health food store; they suggested I open up the capsules and poor into a 4 oz., glass of water, and stir.. and drink! GRIN

On most nights, my sleep has been much deeper. Hope this helps!

Kim
  7. tandy

tandy New Member

I don't know how the gaba works but I've been tempted to try it too.
    So let us all know how it works(if it works)
    I could use a mellow out supplement.
    I use melatonin for sleep and that works very well for me.
    no side effects at all.

Best of Luck!
    tandy
  8. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Thank you, each one. I appreciate your feedback.

Now, about what I take for nerve pain, I guess I don't know that term. I do take Vicodin ES, take Effexor XR, Klonepin, Ativan (occasionally)...have a muscle relaxer. The reason I'm not taking the 5...something is because it said if you take an antidepressant to not take this. So I don't.

It has only been two days, and I decided to take it at night with my amitriptoline and muscle relaxer. It didn't seem to help much last night, and today has been a bad day for pain and fatigue. I have overdone it for several weeks... resting just enough to stay alive! Yesterday caught up with me, though, and I slept and hurt most of the day.

So, I will let you know what I find out. This has helped me a lot to just get some feedback. We'll see what I find out.

Thanks again,
    Sue
  9. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I am not positive, but I think I read somewhere that you do not take GABA with anti-depressents, or anti-anxiety meds.

I would suggest you call the pharmacist and ask how and when you should take the GABA, and be sure to tell them what meds you are now taking.

Its always best to be on the safe side.

Shalom, Shirl
  10. Dorothee

Dorothee New Member

I take to GABA with my other sleeping helps about half to 1 hour before going to bed.
    But I take it to help me to try and stop my mind from racing on during the night.

The effects started showing after about 2 weeks for me.

Good luck with it (all)!

Dorothee

11. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Thank you for the time frame info, and also, thank you for the caution about GABA and antidepressants. I think I will stop taking it for now as I want to explore the information I got on Effexor Withdrawal. Seems it is really bad, and from personal experience, when I was cutting down on Effexor (with doctor's approval) and starting another antidepressant, that is when I began having the FM symptoms. I have resumed my full dosage since, but the symptoms have never gone away. I'm quite curious about this! I'm going to do some research and go have a heart-to-heart with my psychiatrist!

Thank each one for your response to my questions. You all are a great bunch!

Hope for a good day for each.

Sue
  12. kbak

kbak Member

lea,
    I take 300mg neurontin at bedtime, along with the other gaba blend I mentioned. Works extremely well for me. I was not sleeping before that. Another thing that I do is I wear a sleep mask for my eyes, so I screen out all light. Plus I wear ear plugs. They have this great kind at Walgreens that is a non pressure kind. Having no light and noise makes a huge difference in how you sleep.
  13. kbak

kbak Member

shirl,
    Your post prompted me to go back and look. I didn't find any serious drug interactions with GABA and any other drug, just that it can cause excessive drowsiness with most other drugs. Hey, that's what I want! My CFS/fibro doc dx'd gabitril and neurontin togeather. The reason I started using GABA is because I wanted to see if I could drop the gabatril (pharma synthetic GABA) and use natural GABA instead. It worked great, and I dropped a drug. Big plus in my book.
  14. helpeachother

helpeachother New Member

Hi sue,

i have been taking GABA for about 4 or 5 years or so on my CFS/FM etc doctors advice.

I am very sensitive to meds and have real bad MCS (multiple chemical sensitivities syndrome). He told me to take it as needed when i am attacked by a toxic chemical and also 3x a day.

It does sometimes have a sleepy effect, but not when im using it to combat a chemical attack.

It does work rather quickly and your dose may need to be adjusted based on effectiveness vs sleepiness etc. (i use solgar brand) Good Luck! Peace
  15. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Good to hear that! It might have been something else that I read about and thought it was GABA. But its always better to be safe than sorry.

I know I can't take Valarian, and thats a simple herb, it will put me to sleep like a sleeping med, but I wake up with a horrific headache.

Thanks for clearing that up for me as well as others.

Shalom, Shirl
  16. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I was fairly sure that GABA was OK with antidepressants before I ordered it. But, it's so good to have reassurance. Thank each one of you.

Sue
  17. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Or something like that, I believe is the one that can work against anti-depressants that work on your seratonin. It can can cause an overload of that chemical and really mess you up.

I THINK! LOL

Kim
  18. fivesue

fivesue New Member

That's what I read...that's the one that can, as you noted, mess you up! Glad I read right although I couldn't remember the name...foggy today. Well, almost everyday!

(-:
    Sue