Gabapentin aka Neurontin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by maripat, Dec 1, 2005.

1. maripat

maripat New Member

I have just begun taking this rx I start with small doses and increase it weekly. I have a lot of trouble with leg pain, twiching and jerkyness. Especially at night. Sometimes I just have to jump out of bed cuz my legs go nuts. How does it work?
    maripat
  2. kaydee55

kaydee55 New Member

I tried this medicine and even the smallest dose made me drowsey. I slept for 14-16 a day! I couldn't take it when I was working since I operate machinery. I put it past my HR lady and she said no go. My rhuemy told me to start it on the weekend, one small thing I get forced on the weekends.I have tried amitripliline(?), nortripiline(?) all made me drowsey. Everyone is different. It is suppose to help you sleep and lets your muscles relax and helps the pain. Right now my rhumey says he can't help me because apparently I tried everything? I know I haven't. What else is out there for the pain? Anyone???
    Karen
  3. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

in other words ,my nerve pain.I get those leg jerks.I don't know if the neurontin causes them or not.Linda
  4. maripat

maripat New Member

I sure hope it dosen't make me real tired, I'm already tired enough. It is also supposed to work as a mood stabilizer. That sure couldn't hurt.
    maripat
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Are antiseizure meds. They stop the seizure activity in our brains which causes RLS, muscle spasms, anxiety, and sensory overload. They allow the brain to go from a slight state of seizure to a slight state of coma (which is what sleep is). Small doses during the day can help with anxiety and sensory overload. At night, in larger doses, it stops the racing brain and helps with sleep.

Both these meds help stop the pain signals in the brain. It appears that one builds a tolerance to Neurontin faster than with Klonopin. We are all different, though.

I consider Klonopin a God send and one med I cannot do without right now. Good luck with the Neurontin.

Love, Mikie
  6. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

when I started taking neurontin I started with 300 mg. It did make me tired. I got mad and took 600 mg one morning because the dr said it would not hurt me and it did not make me tired. The dr just had me take 600 mg 2X a day. After a while I dropped to 300 mg 3X a day.

It was never given to me to help me sleep and it never did help me sleep @ night - just made me drowsey durring the day at the begining. I liked it and was on it 7 years.

Good luck to you!

Kelly
  7. jakeg

jakeg New Member

Neurontin was working really well for me for a couple a months. I thought I was on my way back to being normal, by normal I mean most of the pain was gone to the point where I thought I was ready to return to work. Then I developed a very bad skin rash and had to stop taking it. It also helped with the feeling of being fatiuged all the time(helped me sleep better during the night time).
  8. CASA02

CASA02 New Member

I just visited my rhemey last week - i have been with him for 10yrs plus now and he has been wonderful - he explained to me that for some reason that no one can explain when you increase the neurontin from 300 to 600 to 900 it does not absorb in your system double or triple - there is an increase, but not doubled, etc. He said that he had just attended a seminar and that he had some really high hopes for lyrica (another pain, seizure, neuropathy drug for diabetics, etc.) It seems it has shown real promise with fibro and unlike the neurontin it abosorbs correctly and can be taken (for me) twice a day with good results - I have not been on the lyrica long enough to see if his hopes will come true, but he has always been very upfront, supportive - but "lay it on the line" with me - he will allow me to make decisions as to changes in meds and increases and he is always there for flares with pain meds that I need - if anyone in Virginia is looking for a great fibro dr. - he could be your man!
    Good luck with the neurontin, but if you find it not what you might need, ask your dr about the lyrica
  9. roseylisa

roseylisa New Member

I was prescribed neurontin to help me get in a deep sleep at nite that they say us with fibro dont get and I find the better I sleep the better I feel. I also take mirapex for restless leg I even get that in my arms anyone else?
    Roseylisa
  10. maripat

maripat New Member

Well after one day I can say it really does make me tired. Hopefully that well evidently go away.
    Thanks for all of your input.
    maripat
  11. maripat

maripat New Member

So far all I can say is I'm soo sleepy.
    Sure hope this side effect doesn't last to terrily long
    maripat
  12. millennia

millennia New Member

Thinking about asking my doctor about this, how is it going for you?
  13. maripat

maripat New Member

I am not so effected by sleepyness as I was when I first began taking it.
    I do notice some relief.
    maripat
  14. roseylisa

roseylisa New Member

I take neurontin 900 mg at nite helps me sleep but I was still waking up with restless leg syndrome so dr added mirapex.
  15. stranded

stranded New Member

neurontin is first an anti-convulsant. second it's used for mood stabilization and pain control. i've been on it for seizures and my bipolar stuff. i was eventually up to 1800mg a day and eventually grew immune to it.