Gabapentin - any experiences with it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Svette_Palme, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Svette_Palme

Svette_Palme New Member

Has anyone else here tried, or been prescribed Gabapentin? It also goes by the name of NEURONTIN.

If you did, or are taking it, I am interested in the effect it had on you.

For me, when I stopped taking it after just two small doses, I seemed to have "rebound pains" where several body parts had sharp pains, and then later I got achey all over. This is pretty scary stuff - like what if I cannot stop it because I hurt too much? Isn't that pretty much addiction, with a twist?

--------

There have been many BAD BAD reports on this drug, and it was involved in a large lawsuit for being used inappropriately in "off-label uses". It seems doctors are still willing to prescribe it for those same "off-label uses" because I got it for Fibro pains, which it was never approved for.

Not that I am taking it willingly... I was actually pressured into taking it... really!! I don't want to get into that here for now [ask me privately if you can find my email].

2. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

i took it years ago, and it helped the pain a little. then got off all my meds for a few years, Dr recently put me back on a few months ago, and all it did was make me gain weight, like 12 lbs in a little over a month. didnt touch my pain this time. so she took me off it, i'll be seeing her in a week so we will see whats next, she will have to get my pain under control for sure! good luck, Kat
  3. FMsaddenedspirit

FMsaddenedspirit New Member

Hello Svete_Palme
    yes I tried it a few years back for Migrains, did not help the migrinas, did make me sleepy , they had me on a pretty high dose.. finally took me off it.

I did get something from my Insurance co. saying I could take it instead of Lyrica , even though it , i don;t belive has been approved for Fibro pain yet , I may be wrong , they the insurance co. said I coudl take it for Fibro and the cost would be much less than Lyrica, I would rather pay the price for my Lyrica, as I am so very tired already .

they had me on about a year before I was adviswed I have Fibro.

I wish you the best , and hope today is a better day for you

FM
  4. jole

jole Member

I was on Neurontin at the max dose....was put on it instead of Lyrica, because it is cheaper and they prescribe it for those without insurance. It is suppose to do the very same as Lyrica, and has been approved for FM pain. Unfortunately, the only thing it did for me was make me tired. It did nothing for the pain, so I quit taking it.

I have a lot of problems with meds, and litterally have found no relief from any of them, so am weaning myself off them (with my docs permission) and will be going the natural route with herbals, vitamins and minerals. It's worth a try, and less side effects.

If the meds had worked for me, I would take them, and have nothing against anyone taking whatever helps to get through a day with these DD's. I wish you the very best and hope you can find what works for you.
  5. jole

jole Member

I was on Neurontin at the max dose....was put on it instead of Lyrica, because it is cheaper and they prescribe it for those without insurance. It is suppose to do the very same as Lyrica, and has been approved for FM pain. Unfortunately, the only thing it did for me was make me tired. It did nothing for the pain, so I quit taking it.

I have a lot of problems with meds, and litterally have found no relief from any of them, so am weaning myself off them (with my docs permission) and will be going the natural route with herbals, vitamins and minerals. It's worth a try, and less side effects.

If the meds had worked for me, I would take them, and have nothing against anyone taking whatever helps to get through a day with these DD's. I wish you the very best and hope you can find what works for you.
  6. Leaknits

Leaknits New Member

Hi,

Yes, have had experience with Neurontin.
    Basically it's Lyrica's little relative. Usually is prescribed for people w/epilepsy.

Drs way back in years and up till now are going "off label" with the stuff and saying it will help with pain.

Drs should learn Rule One: Everybody's Different.

My primary doc back then, when I told him "This stuff might as well be water for all the good it's doing me," said: "Just keep increasing the dosage until you get some relief."
    I got up to a ridiculously high number of the capsules per day, said "Bleep this," and quit it because it continued not to do any good, no matter how much I used.

Your dr has NO right to "pressure" you into accepting anything. There' a little document called "The Patient's Bill of Rights," at least I think that's what it's called...anyway the document has in it words to the effect that "any patient has the right to refuse any offered course of treatment."
    Tell dr to take a hike, please, with his pressuring of you.

Oh and if you have read the very bad reports re Neurontin you should see what the truth is about Lyrica. Yow!

Lea.