Gabapentin has worked

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by chloeuk, Nov 23, 2006.

1. chloeuk

chloeuk New Member

A week ago I was in so much pain I could hardly moved..I saw dr and he started me on 300mg of gabapentin in the morning and 300mg at night..I woke up the next day and the pain was almost gone..woke up saturday and it was almost non existent. I did pull something in my back saturday so in alot of pain but the pain in muscles and joints hasnt returned..I dont know if this is a fluke or if the med is working...but I am not complaining..so it looks like I have found something that has worked for me and I am extremely grateful!

So if you havent tried it then give it a go...you never know.

Chloe
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

chloeuk:

Not to doubt your claim: I belive you.

I just wanted you to know I took the same med and had horrible side-effects and ended up in the hospital.

One reason might be that I was up to about 3000mg./day.

That might have been the reason.

I am so glad that you are seeing results and I hope they contine for you.

nyrofan
  3. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

Chloe, I'm so glad that this drug has worked for you. I take 900mg's a day and am still in pain. They increased it to 1800mg's a day and that is when the side effects started. My throat started closing up on me so couldn't eat anything and always felt like I was choking. No fun. I say if it works for you great but watch out for the side effects.....SueF
  4. It really helped me too, (alot of people it has) and then the dr. took me off it to try another drug which I never did. I have to make an appt to talk to him about restarting it. GOOD LUCK!
  5. forfink

forfink New Member

Some of you are very fortunate. I took the lowest dose possible and I had a raging headache, felt like my head was in a vice. Tried it again a week later and the same thing, horrible side effect.

Isn't it unusual that we all react SO differently......pretty frustrating.
  6. chloeuk

chloeuk New Member

I had been on it before for pustular psoriasis at a dose of over 3000mg per day and I didnt react to that so I felt confident that I would be ok on it with regard to side effects but what I didnt expect was the change it has made for me with this dd...my pain is almost non existant after weeks of agony..cant quite believe it but very happy too.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/24/2006]
  7. Summit

Summit New Member

Hi, My arth. doc. put me on gabapentin a few months ago. I, unfortunately looked at the possible side effects etc. (saw that it was an anti-seizure medication) and felt I didnt' want to go there. After acouple months (I didn't take it) I was my doc again. She convinced me not to worry about the anti-seizure thing, and to try it. I have worked up to 3 times a day (total 300mg.) and I think it may be helping alittle. I am blown away by the huge amounts some people on here have stated they were taking! wow. I am so glad you have found something that works for you.
  8. Summit

Summit New Member

Hi, My arth. doc. put me on gabapentin a few months ago. I, unfortunately looked at the possible side effects etc. (saw that it was an anti-seizure medication) and felt I didnt' want to go there. After acouple months (I didn't take it) I was my doc again. She convinced me not to worry about the anti-seizure thing, and to try it. I have worked up to 3 times a day (total 300mg.) and I think it may be helping alittle. I am blown away by the huge amounts some people on here have stated they were taking! wow. I am so glad you have found something that works for you.
  9. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

Gabapentin made my live livable again.Linda
  10. chloeuk

chloeuk New Member

because it wasnt something I was aware of..if I had been I would have asked for it earlier as I have taken it before with no problems..I was going to ask the immunologist for mirapex because of what I have read here..so I hope my post can just bring it to peoples attention who havent tried it and it may also work for them.

I dont have any problems at all with tiredness, I take one in the morning and one at night and dont notice feeling tired..in fact overall my energy level has improved...and once my back settles I really want to get into excersise.
  11. ulala

ulala New Member

I think gabapentin is the generic for Neurontin. It does help me but I also immediately start gaining weight. Does any9ne else have this side effect?
  12. matthewson

matthewson New Member

So glad it is working for you. I take it too and couldn't do without it. It really helps with pain.

Summitt mentioned about the high doses. I just wanted to say that the amount of gabapentin in your system does not go up exponentially with the dose increase. In other words, 1800 mg as opposed to 900 mg a day is not double the dose in your system. So, the high numbers shouldn't scare anyone into thinking they are taking 2 to 3 times more of a dose.

Hope that made sense! I just got up and am a little groggy. I need my coffee!

Take care, Sally

[ advertisement ]