Gabapentin (Neurontin) and gum disease

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by disconcerted, Jan 21, 2008.

1. disconcerted

disconcerted New Member

I have read in the drug information leaflet that it can cause the gum disease Gingivitis.

Has anyone on this drug developed this? If so, how long did it last and how did you treat it?

I'm seeing my dentist tomorrow and would like some info if possible before i go as i don't have faith that he will be able to answer my questions.

I'm particularly interested to find out that if you get gum disease and then cure it does it keep coming back if you stay on the gabapentin?

I hope someone can help

2. darvick

darvick New Member

I am on Lyrica, somewhat like neurontin. I was on neurontin for about 6 months, and read the same thing. I didn't have any problems , just make sure you brush good 3x a day, and ask your dentist, he should know about these medications.
    Good Luck
  3. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

ALso over the counter is something for dry mouth.With all the meds we have to take,there is no wonder we have dry mouth,They say this is the root of mouth problems.When I used it,it helped alot with fresh breath and waking up at night needing water. Ruthie
  4. soffy

soffy New Member

hello i have fibro for 6 years now, i take gab for few years and i developed some little black spots in the upper level near the teeth and also in few of the botton level(teeths) it that could be from the med? any opinions please help me. att. soffy
  5. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Hi, I have been on neurontin for about 2 years now - no gum disease.

Take care
  6. jodboga

jodboga New Member

what is the name for the over the counter stuff for dry mouth ? need something and not sure what to get .
    thank you
  7. wendys-here

wendys-here New Member

i have been on Gabapentin for a few years now and havent had gum problems. the people who have had these problems i wonder why?, and does taking this pill with other pills in combination cause gum and teeth break down?
    I hope this falls under the Urban Fibro Myth section.
  8. fancypants82

fancypants82 New Member

So far no one else here has said yes to your question, but for me, gum problem were DEFINITELY a problem while taking neurontin. I'm very conscientious about my dental health. And I still had problems with severe gingivitis. I brushed constantly, I flossed regularly, and I used mouthwashes often. To little or no effect. The only thing that helped me get rid of this side effect was complete cessation of this medication. Maybe it doesn't happen to everyone, but it for sure could happen to some. I didn't notice any symptoms of dry mouth or any of that. Just very tender gums in the maxillary arch, no matter what I did to care for them. FWIW, gentle peroxide based mouthwashes helped a lot more than alcohol based mouthwashes. But once I had a flair up, it was VERY difficult to get my gums to return to normal. I was lucky though, my neurontin script was issued for a non-chronic disease, so I was able to get off of it and my dental health returned to normal within a week. I would die if I had to take this everyday for years like so many people do.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

They also sell toothpaste for dry mouth. Some side effects of meds can be dry mouth which can lead to dental and gum problems. I have Sjogren's and one of the symptoms is dry mouth. I find this helpful as it contains enzymes lost when there is a low level of saliva. It helps me with digestion too but I also supplement with digest enzymes.<BR>
    I take especially good care of my teeth and they are about normal for someone my age. More than 1/3 of all people have some form of gum disease after the age of 35. I recommend one of those little hard rubber tips you can use to rub the gums to stimulate them. <BR>
    Love, Mikie
  10. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I have taken Gabapentin for about 5 yrs for Fibro. My teeth have gotten worse in the last 6 yrs or so--partly I think because I can't afford to go to the dentist for regular cleanings. I've had off & on gum issues. Whether this is a side effect I have no idea. I never wrote down any side effects and my memory is not that great.<BR>
    I know I would not be able to function at all without this medication.<BR>