Gabapentin Neurontin Users Help Please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mgmarble, Nov 20, 2006.

1. mgmarble

mgmarble New Member

I just started taking Gabapentin and I am wondering how long this medicine will take to work. I take 300mg three times a day. I am on my fourth day and so far I haven't felt any relief, just dizziness. Any advice would be great!! THANKS GIN
  2. jg004o6371

jg004o6371 New Member

HI THERE

I HAVENT TAKE THAT MED B4,BUT TO ME U SHOULD LET DO ITS COURSE GIVE IT TIME TO WORK,SORRY I HAVENT GOT ADVICE FOR U,CAN I ASK A QUESTION ABOUT WHAT DO U TAKE IT FOR,TAKECARE GOODLUCK WITH IT,
  3. mgmarble

mgmarble New Member

My doctor prescribed it for my Fibro pain.
  4. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

I take 600 mg 3xs a day. I couldn't live with out it I KNOW IF i MISS A DOSE FOR PAIN OF FIBRO. Try to stay as low as I can on dose to get releif becaquse it works so well for me and don't want to develope an intollerance for it.

I think I am due to go up a dose though. It took a few weeks to get in my system and stay in but it works for me. maybe not good for you wait and see.
    I was dizzy at first to but went away.
  5. balletdancer74

balletdancer74 New Member

Hi,

The absolute first medication tried on me MANY years ago for both my FM/MPS and CFIDS/M.E. was Neurontin. There was no generic back than.

Within 100mg I felt a noticeable improvement with my nerve pain, muscle pain, spasms and twitches. I also had more "energy." Some find it helps them sleep.

I did feel dizzy/groggy every time I would increase my dose. I now take 600mg/3x/daily. If I increase it by even ony 100 mg, I find myself to become very lethargic.

It's best to start with 100mg and to increase or decreaes by 100 mg.

Sometimes it takes a few days or even a week before it kicks in. It can be a godsend or do nothing.

Give it a few more days and see how you feel. If you feel that it helps you sleep, ask your doctor to give you a dose only for bedtime.

Additionally, often generic drugs are not as effective as the actual brand, so consider that. Ask for actual Neurontin. I can't take any generic drugs. They are ineffective or give me very horrid side effects.

Keep us posted. I hope you find relief!

Hugs,
    LB32 (Leeza)
    [This Message was Edited on 11/20/2006]
  6. jakeg

jakeg New Member

This drug worked wonders for me until I developed an allergy to it after being on it for 6 months.
  7. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i've been on neurontin for headaches for years now. i think it took 2-3 weeks befor i really noticed a big improvement.
    i hope this helps.
    rachel
    [This Message was Edited on 11/21/2006]
  8. road~wench

road~wench New Member

it took me 3-4 wks, but it is what got me able to go back to work. i've been on 1200mg a day for almost 3 yrs. i recently tried to back it off to 900 mg a day...within 2 wks my pain was up. so, it went back to what i was taking. check with you doc about the time to see an improvement. it's a rx that needs to build up in the system gradually to work. also, the first several weeks it really effected my sleep patterns. but that went away as my body adjusted to the med. good luck!