Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hagardreams, Aug 4, 2010.

1. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

Just wondering if anyone has taken this before.

My new psychiatrist gave me some, and I as usual am afraid to try it until I know something about it.

2. Tizz

Tizz New Member

Gabapentin's brand name is Neurontin. When Neurontin's patent was expiring they came up with a newer version, that wouldn't be available in generic form -- Lyrica. They aren't the same drug, of course, but they're closely related.

If you've taken Lyrica and had problems with it, I'd avoid gabapentin - and vice versa.

3. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

Thanks for the reply. I wasnt able to take Lyrica, and really didnt want to try this stuff either.

I am seeing a state psychiatrist, and while they are not all bad, this guy wont listen when I tell him that I am very sensitve to meds. My regular GP gives me stuff that is very small in milligrams, that I can take a very small amount to start with.

I really want to stay on the buspar, and for now I am going to. I dont see him again until Sept. 1st.

Thanks for the reply!
  4. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

I have heard that some people who cant tolerate lyrica can tolerate neurontin. I have found neurontin less sedating then lyrica, actually i have had no side effects at all from neurontin. I also like lyrica as it helped with sleep but pooped out on helping me with nocturnal leg pains. But as everyone says, we all act differenty to drugs, the only way to know is to try it, if its not your cup of tea you can always stop.

5. Tizz

Tizz New Member

Sometimes people can use one drug but not another that is closely related to it.

However, I would argue that it's much less likely to be a drug you do well with, than an unrelated drug.

In the end, of course, it's up to each person (and their doctors) to make the decision whether or not to try a similar drug. But I would not make the assumption that because a doc prescribed it to you, it's going to be OK...

6. quanked

quanked Member

Isn't neurontin cheap, or at least much cheaper than lyrica?

I once tried lyrica. I only took it a couple of days as the tv ad's warnings kept running through my head each time I thought about the drug.

I need a pain med sometimes but I have no idea what to use. I take celebrex and it helps a lot with the arthritis pain that it was prescribed for however I have other pain that it does not help. Once in a great while I take a dose of motrin but I should not be using it with celebrex
  7. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

neurontin is alot cheaper then lyrica. Have u tried tramal, i use a slow release tramal that last about 12 hours, they also make a version that last 24 hrs but i cant use that as it interferes with my sleep.
  8. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

Thanks again to all who replied.

I had too many side effects with lyrica to even get the guts to try this stuff. But I have had some really bad side effects to all different kinds of meds in my lifetime.

I sure wish that the medical profession could find a way to test meds with our system before we even take them. If we can test our blood sugar, urine, ect then they should find a way to test meds with our blood before we take it, and see how it is going to effect us. Oh well, maybe in another life time!

9. winsco1

winsco1 New Member

Julie I take gabapentin and have taken it now for about 2 yrs. I also am very sensitive to medications. Gabapentin is suppose to be started on a very low dose and gradually increased until the desired effect is achieved. You may not require very many miligrams to give you the desired relief.
    I have had a very hard time finding a medication that didn't make me drowsy or light-headed. I was on flexeril for a while and the doc said that the drowsiness woud eventually decrease and I would get use to it but I never did and had to stop taking it. Even a very small dose was to much for me. However I have tolerated the gabapentin very well and am able to function better now than I did 2 yrs ago.
    Gabapentin is actually a seizure medication that has a secondary use for neuropathic pain. It is cheap because it is an older medication. Its been on the market for a long time. Try it, start slow and who knows, you may find a little relief. If its not for you then at least you gave it a try but I think you will be surprised.

Take Care, Sara
  10. dzlady

dzlady New Member

I have taken Gabapentin and had some pain relief, but not much. I know a person who can take neurotin but cannot take gabapentin. I had done some research on its side effects and the one I can remember most is that it isnt good on your liver over a period of time.

I no longer take it.