Galbladder out? Or taking pills (not shots) for diabetes?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by windingdown, Jan 1, 2011.

1. windingdown

windingdown Member

I was wondering those that have the bad uncontrolled diarrhea and you cant go anywhere because of it, I was wondering if you have either had your Galbladder out or taking pills (not shots) for diabetes?
    Both my Mom and sister have this issues its really bad for them both and that is what they have in common... I have IBS and find if I get bad new or stressed I have diarrhea that moment, its aweful I sure hope I dont get as bad as my other family members. I take ativan for my IBS and it does help GREATLY!! Stress is more controlled when I take it.. Thanks for any reply
  2. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

The gallbladder plays a big role in the digestion of fatty foods.

Lots of people I know who've had their gallbladder removed find that they have a bad episode of diarrhea very quickly after they eat a meal with fatty foods (fried, greasy, dairy, etc.)

You might want to ask them about their diet, and whether their problem follows this pattern - - if so, it may be just the expected pattern following gallbladder removal. Albeit maybe an extreme case.

However, I do know there's a medication that can be prescribed to help with this. I wish I could remember what it's called, but surely they could ask their doctor/s about it.

I wish them success in finding out the cause and getting it resolved. It sounds like a horrible problem to have to put up with.

Best wishes,
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I don't have IBS but was just reading about a study of children with IBS which showed that taking a good probiotic for several weeks helped them a great deal. I think this would be definitely worth a try. I would check with people at your local health food store to find a good one to take, if you're not taking one already. This might also help your mom and sister.

Also, meditation is excellent for reducing anxiety and stress without drugs. A really good and simple book to read about meditation is The Relaxation Response by Herbert Benson. Dr. Benson is a cardiologist who was very impressed by studies which showed people reducing their blood pressure by meditation. The book is a really interesting and easy read. I don't think it's good to just rely on ativan for your stress - it can lead to dependency and won't solve the problem in the long run (i.e., why you get so stressed and why it affects you so badly with IBS - regular daily meditation can help with all of this).

Yeah, it's best if one can hold on to their gallbladder. It is an important organ. Several years ago I was having a lot of digestive problems and am so glad I found a very good chiropractor who does muscle testing. He found problems with my gallbladder and other things, and gave me AF Betafood by Standard Process which helped enormously. Also I started taking hydrochloric acid and digestive enzymes, all which helped my digestion. I think if I hadn't found the chiropractor I would have ended up having my gallbladder out and just faced more problems, without solving what caused the problems in the first place.

4. tig519

tig519 Member

Prior to having my gall bladder out I had loose stool and extreme nausea. I had a dysfunctional gall bladder, so it didn't work right. Before knowing it was the cause, I assumed it was IBS symptoms. I tried adjusting my diet even more... there was nothing I could eat that didn't result in "issues."

After having my gall bladder out... I could eat anything... I mean anything and have a very normal digestion. My surgeon and doctor told me that your body adjusts with the loss of your GB.

Obviously, having the pain my GB relieved, I was pleasantly surprised at the overall improvement in digestion.

Hope this helps.
  5. kbak

kbak Member

I had terrible IBS since I was a teenager, I'm now 58. About 6 yrs. ago I went on a gluten free diet and it completely eliminated the IBS. So many times IBS is actually a gluten intolerence or a dairy intolerence or both. If it's a gluten problem you'll know right away by going on a gluten free diet for a couple of wks., because you'll see it start clearing up right away. Worth trying. Hope you have better days!