Gale Storm Died (TV Star)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Jun 29, 2009.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Most of you are probably too young to remember Gale Storm, but she was
    a big TV star in the early years, i.e. the 50s. Her hit show was "My
    Little Margie".

She was also in several B movies, including some w/ my hero Roy Rogers.

And she could sing. Her biggest hit was "Dark Moon" about the time I
    was in high school.

In the 60s, Dick Van Dyke was in an excellent film called "The Comic". I think
    Carl Reiner wrote and/or directed. Anyway the film points out the dilemma
    of the star.

If you die at the peak of your fame, you get a big funeral and much attention
    is paid. If you die decades later, not too much fuss is made, but you get to
    enjoy a longer life.

Same thing applies to autobiographies. You sell more copies if you're really
    hot, but you have more to say if you're older and wiser.

(I am hoping to become older and wiser myself someday.)

RIP Gale

2. jole

jole Member

Both from the "My Little Margie" reruns and "Dark Moon". I honestly didn't know she sung that though. I always liked that song!

You're right about them not getting any fanfare down the's too bad.

I also heard that Billy Mays died...50 years bed. Was in a plane incident that made a rough landing and luggage hit him on the head...don't know if that had anything to do with his death. Will miss his yelling commercials!

Thanks for the news....Jole
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I loved her when I was growing up. She was so cute and wore the best clothes. They rerun "My Little Margie" on the ION Channel and I've been watching it. I also loved that song. Geez, I hate to lose the old stars. This week has been very sad with Ed McMahan, Farrah, and Michael Jackson all gone. That Billy guy who did all the commercials also died. Yikes! It's an epidemic.

ION also reruns "Ozzie and Harriet." I loved that show too. There were so man good family shows which seem a bit corny by today's stds., but they were great at the time:

"Leave Room For Daddy"
    "Leave It To Beaver"
    "Father Knows Best"
    "Burns and Allen"

PBS just did a special on Mitzi Gaynor. She still looks pretty good. I always loved to watch her dance and sing. She had the best costumes. Bob Mackie designed all her outfits for her TV show.

Love, Mikie
  4. rockgor

Jole, there is a CD out of Bonnie Guitar. I think the title is Dark Moon. She
    and Gale Storm both had hit recordings of it. Two guys had hit recordings of a
    song about the same time.

Think it was Ricky Nelson and Guy Mitchell. Well, shucks, I can't remember
    much clearly anymore. Anyway, a very rare event in the world of pop

I'd try and look it up, but then my post would vanish.

Is there a world of pop music anymore? Don't think so.

About Bonnie Guitar; she sang and wrote country western. The only female
    c-w singer who had a beautiful voice. Sorta like Jo Stafford or Giselle McKenzie.

Mikie, yes, I used to watch most of those shows. We couldn't get all of them
    in the early 50s. We only had two channels. And they were off the air from
    midnight till 6 AM. How different the world was only half a century ago.

Mitzi Gaynor was wonderful, and would have been a big star in musicals if they
    hadn't stopped making them. I saw her show in Las Vegas in 1968. About a
    year later it was a special on TV. She was lottza fun.

You can see her and Donald O'Connor do a dance on Youtube from some movie
    they were in.

Entertainers not only sing and dance, they leave us w/ happy memories.

5. rockgor

According to an urban legend, you can find anything on the net.

Maybe you can, but I can't. One of the problems is that most sites that
    have music data are really interested in selling recordings. Their primary
    purpose seems to be making money rather than educating the public.

Anyway, looked around. It appears that 3 singers all recorded Young Love
    around 1957. (I was a jr. in High School.)

Rick Nelson, Sonny James, and Tab Hunter. I think it was a hit for the
    last two.

Anyhoo, I was a fan of all of them.

Nowdays we have rap and hip-hop. (I don't even understand what
    hip hop is.)

6. jole

jole Member

You think your memory is bad....I totally forgot about Tab Hunter!!!! I thought he was about the most handsome thing back then! Of course so was Ricky. And Young Love....oh, what a that brings back memories. My first radio was pink...and like our (and your) tv got 2

Speaking of tv's, when we first got ours, I was fascinated with the "snow"...then I found out it actually had a picture when the antenna was turned an exciting time, and what a luxury that was!!

Now, I don't think kids get really excited about anything. Nothing is beyond their imagination anymore. (Or their price tag, so it seems.)

Yes, the world surely has changed...and like you, I definitely am not sure it's all for the better! Take care...Jole
  7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

OMG!! I had no idea she was still alive. I mean still alive, what, a week ago as she has now died???

How old was she? I keep trying to remember the show but my mind takes me to "Our Miss Brooks". Do you remember who the young student was in "Our Miss Brooks"? I can still hear his high squeaky voice.

What about Ed McMahon, I have heard relatively nothing about him? I mean he was an icon on the Johnny Carson Show. He also went bankrupt or near bankruptcy. Is that a link with MJ?

Anyone remember winky dink?

8. rockgor

Walter was played by Richard Crenna. Unlike many child stars he had a long
    career in radio, TV and movies.

Remember the Lucy show he was on?

I still have tapes of some old radio shows. Miss Brooks, Jack Benny, various
    theater programs like Lux radio theater, etc. My son and I used to listen to
    them when he was young.

Don't know Winky Dink. Is that a tella tubby? Read Eve Arden's biography
    a couple years back. After her radio and tv, she toured the country as
    Auntie Mame. She looked great in the costume w/ the long cigarette holder.

I always wanted Ed McMahon's job. Get rich by sitting on the sofa and laughing at
    the boss's jokes.

9. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

"Our Miss Brooks " was a favorite of mine.
    So many things have changed. I'd almost enjoy having a pair of rabbit ears antennae to adjust now.....probably one of the first of many modern skills. Already obsolete!
    Sigh:) mr Bill
  10. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

I haven't seen a thing about Gale Storm. Yes, I loved her to.

Mr Bill - I thought the same as you at first about Gale being in Our Miss Brooks and then thought again - wasn''t that Eve Arden. Geez, I am getting old and it is hard to remember so long ago. I loved all those old shows or should I say most of them.

So many of the new shows are so bad - sorry but that is my opinion. That is why I don't watch a lot of TV any more.

Rock - I just loved My Little Margie too. OMG, that was ions ago !!

Hugs to everydobby

[This Message was Edited on 06/29/2009]
  11. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Yes it was Eve Arden on "Our Miss Brooks". Didn't she play a teacher? I'll have to go to IMDB.

Winky Dink was on a children program the name of which I do not remember. You could order something like think plastic to put over the TV screen and you could do things with the host like drawing letters or dot to dot activities. If I remember correctly, it kept slipping off the screen.

I remember when our neighbors got the first TV in the neighborhood. They had chairs lined up in front of the TV kind of like a movie theater so people could come over and watch the new or relatively new in our town programs.

I keep getting Troy Donahue mixed up with Tab Hunter.

Oh and then dear Captain Kangaroo, the Mr. Rogers of the fifties and sixties. I know he died but wonder if Mr. Green Jeans is still living?

Richard Crenna was a good friend of Merv Griffin(th). I was visiting LA with my ex. around 23 years ago and we got to be in the audience of his show and had Richard Crenna (SP?) on.

Actually, they were begging people to be in the audience and we got the tickets when we were coming out of universal studios. I have no idea if Richard Crenna is alive or dead.

Have you ever played that game? "Alive or Dead"?

12. gapsych

gapsych New Member

for what little plot it had!!

Plot summary for

"Winky-Dink and You" (1953) More at IMDbPro ยป

"winky-dink and you" was the pioneer in interactive programming. The core of the program was children sent away for a kit.

The kit had a plastic screen that stuck to the TV tube with static electricity. Crayons were used to draw on the screen. When a character needed special help, children would be asked to draw on the screen, give assistance and free the character from trouble.

If a character needed to cross a river with no bridge, the viewer would draw a line so a crossing could be made and escape trouble. Jack Barry, the host, emphasized inviting a friend over to watch the program; sharing in the drawing of assistance was also important. Everyone watched and helped winky-dinky in his adventures and had fun.

I did not realize Jack Barry was the host. Gee if it was 1953 I was only four years old. I can remember that but not what I had for breakfast?

Life is strange.

13. mysticbrit

mysticbrit New Member

Awww - yes, I remember her well. I used to love that show, even though I can't remember the premise of it at all anymore. What fun it would be to have a working brain again - LOL.

It seems we're losing a lot of "personalities" lately. Sad, but inevitable I guess.

Thanks Rock.

14. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

I know Eve Arden, and somehow I want to believes that Gale Storm played a student on her show, but I can't find any documentation. Funny how they seem intertwined. Though, I guess it was a while ago.
    I can remember getting our first color T.V. around that time. At least I think I remember.

It's going to be strange, 500 years from now, how people are going to be seen forever young in the movies. It's got to change the way people think, etc. Cheers, your mr Bill
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

"Our Miss Brooks," another of my favorites. I made a mistake on my original response: It was "Make Room For Daddy" with Danny Thomas. Also, how could I forget "The Honeymooners?"

Guy Mitchell had a big hit with "Moonlight Gambler." I loved that song too.

I'm a Moonchild (Cancer in the Zodiac) so anything with moons (except mooning :) gets my attention. Cancer is ruled by the moon. I am one of the few who actually feels better during a full moon. But, I digress...

This has been a nice trip down memory lane for me and, I'm sure, for others of us who remember those old B&W family shows. And the music! When PBS has an Oldies show, they always pan the audience and you can see all those older people transformed back to their youthful days. What is it about music that gets us right in the heart? One of the best dates I ever had was with a dear friend over to Miami. It takes a couple of hours. We sang the old songs from the 50's from memory on the way back. Each one would bring to mind another one. Neither of us can carry a tune but we didn't care.

BTW, I think Gale Storm was 87, but not sure.

Love, Mikie
  16. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I was just a little kid, but I have a memory of Gale Storm looking through an ocean liner round window. I don't know what show that was but my parents would watch it often and I was really little and that's all I remember. DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THAT???
  17. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I remember all of the shows you gals and guys mentioned = loved them all.

I also remember when our oldest, S#1, was about 4, our neighbor would call about 5 p.m. and asked if he would like to come across the street and watch "Elmer the Elephant"? Anyone remember that?

I dearly loved the "Carol Burnett Show". that was so funny!

We finally got a TV because my Dad thought that his grandson would like one! It had a round screen and was fuzzy black and white. Then one eve, i got a call and we had won a COLOR TV at a raffle!!!!!! Our #1 & #2 just jumped and jumped up and down in the living room. Hardly anyone had a color TV!!!!!! I think it was one of the biggest thrills our #1 son ever had. COLOR!!!!!!!!11

Happy memories of the past.

Yes, Mikie, I remember Guy Mitchell - he was wonderful!! Cute too.

My parents and I never missed "The Hit Parade" on Sat. nites. If they were going to be gone, I would write down the rankkng number on all the songs. That was a time when songs were singable! I knew the words on all of them. My oh my! I am really telling may age, aren't I??

Oh well, they are happy memories.

Horrid day ----gray,. dreary, chilly, ----not a great July !st.

Gentle Hugs,

[This Message was Edited on 07/01/2009]
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Which song was on "Your Hit Parade" the longest number of weeks? I know but wonder whether anyone else does. They about went nuts trying to find new ways to present this song.

I loved Gizelle McKenzie and the other singers on that show.

In addition to the family sit coms, there were wonderful variety shows. Ed Sullivan, Jackie Gleason (in addition to "The Honeymooners"), Jack Benny, just to name a few.

Heck, I'm gettin' out my poodle skirt and saddle oxfords and I'm gonna rock 'n roll :)

Love, Mikie
  19. rockgor

Don't remember Elmer the Elephant, Lilac, but I do remember Elmer Fudd.

In our village there were 2 TVs in 1952. My mother used to go over
    to a friend's house to watch Arthur Godfrey on Wed. night. He's pretty much
    forgotten now, but in the 50s he was on radio and had 3 of the top shows
    on TV. Don't think anyone will beat that record.

In 1953 everyone in town bought a TV.

The folks at the end of the block had a combination gas station and coffee
    shop. They had TV w/ a colored film over it. Didn't matter what you
    watched. It all had a sort of insane color scheme.

My English teacher showed me the TV his folks bought in the late 40s. It was
    a piece of furniture; made outta wood. About 4 feet tall. The screen was
    probably 6 inches. Not much bigger than a slice of bread.

2Cat, Gale Storm's big hit show was My Little Margie. She played a secretary.
    She had another show later. Don't think I ever saw it, but she played a
    recreation director or hostess of some sort on an ocean liner. So that
    would account for the porthole.

In the 60s Noel Coward wrote a Broadway Show w/ the same basic setting.
    Elaine Stritch was the star. You can see her on Youtube along w/ all the
    kids from Your Hit Parade.

I watched that show every Sat. night. (Sat.?) A few years later I saw
    Giselle MacKenzie starring in The King and I. She was great in that too.
    I think her hoop skirt was as big as a hot tub.

Carol Burnett was wonderful. Some of those crazy skits can be found on Youtube
    too. I wish movie musicals and TV variety shows would come back.

T-t-that's all folks!

20. JimB51

JimB51 Member

Gale Storm? What a name! lol (no disrespect meant)
    Had to be a stage name from the 50's ... like -"Rock Hudson" or "Slim Pickins".

So that was HER in My Little Margie. .. I was a little kid back then.
    I liked her a lot. She starred with Roy Rogers??? My Totally Top Hero when I was a kid!
    Hope she didn't suffer.. (like Farrah did)

WOW! All these posts about those 50's shows. I'm getting homesick remembering them.
    My 3 brothers and I each have ALL of the Andy Griffith Show tapes. ..and I STILL haven't lost my crush on Laura Petri(Dick Van Dyke Show).
    I love those infomercials for The Dean Martin Show tapes (like with Dom Delouise and ALL the big stars.

- I'd like to sit on the front porch in Maybery, (with Laura Petri next to me), with Andy, Barney and Thelma Lou, (OK .. Helen too), with my feet up
    drinkin "good ole pop" from the "fillin station", watching clips from The Dean Martin show.
    "You all" are invited too!
    > Goober says "Hey"
    [This Message was Edited on 07/03/2009]