Gall Bladder Attack?---Help from those in the Know...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by layinglow, Feb 28, 2003.

1. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Yesterday, the only thing I ate were a few smoked oysters in oil on crackers. About 2 hrs. later, I began to experience mild pain in the upper abdomen, above the stomach, just below rib cage. If one put the palm of their hand below their rib cage, center abdomen, this is where the pain was contained. It progressively got worse becoming severe, until I was in tears. It was not muscle pain but originated internally. I had no heartburn, my stomach, and intestinal area felt fine. I did have severe nausea. With a funny taste in my mouth, like bile. After a couple hours of being very intense, it began to wane. All in all it lasted about 7 hrs. I have never had probs with my gallbladder. My mother and sister had to have theirs removed however. I am thinking this was possibly a gall stone that passed? I would appreciate hearing from anyone, in the know, or who has experienced this. Is it possible that it will reoccur?
    Thanks so much,
    LL
  2. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

Your symptoms certainly suggest a gallbladder problem. Symptoms can vary quite a bit from person to person, however. My mother, sister, friend and I all had our gallbladders removed and each of us had unique sets of symptoms. An acute, emergency type situation would be intense pain like you described, nausea and possibly fever. Your urine can become darker in color and your stools lighter in color. I never got to the severe pain but my urine was darker and stools lighter. I got pains in the gallbladder region and in the right shoulder quite a bit, which felt a little like a runner's "stitch." If you DON'T have gallstones you can still have a problem. I didn't have stones, neither did my mom or sister. An ultrasound will often be negative, but a HIDA scan will reveal a non-funcioning gallbladder. Good luck. Diane
  3. evileva

evileva New Member

I agree with Diane, it does sound like your gallbladder. I had an attack that came and stayed, I also had the lighter colored bowel movements. I didn't have any gallstones but the doctor said that I had "sand" in my gallbladder, so it took several different types of tests before they found it. You might want to check with your doc.
    Good luck.
    Eva
  4. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Thank you Eva and Diane for responding to my post. I have been so afraid to eat today, for fear of triggering this again. It seems like the last year it has been one thing after another, untop of the fibro and cfs. I am always afraid to deem some new pain something other than fibro, though, as it sends me curves all the time. I am afraid this will be one more thing that I have to tackle, as I certainly might not be as lucky next time to have the pain relent. I have passed 3 kidney stones in 9 months, and I just wish I could get a break! I thought ultrasound was probably the diagnostic tool, but thank you for letting me know of the HIDA scan.
    Thank you again for your replies.
    LL
  5. Echos

Echos New Member

layinglow
    (154)

Thank you 02/28/03 10:24 PM

Thank you Eva and Diane for responding to my post. I have been so afraid to eat today, for fear of triggering this again.

Hello LL,
    Echos here. If you try and stear clear of fatty foods, spicey and oily in any way, that will help ease your pain and possibly prevent any future pain. These types of foods get the ball rolling. Signs and Symptoms: Colicky pain in the upper right abdomen or between the shoulder blades. Nausea and vomiting, Bloating or belching. Intolerance to fatty foods, and Jaundice. Sometimes caused by the gallbladder failing to empty completely, Alterations in bile mucus, Increased bilirubin (a red- blood cell waste product in the bile that blood carries to the liver. It can cause jaundice if it builds up in the blood) concentration in the bile. And infection in the tubes that carry bile out of the liver. When your having an attack, sip water occasionally but don't eat. You can apply heat to the area to help the pain. And try to stick to low fat.
    SWAK's,
    Echos

[This Message was Edited on 02/28/2003]
  6. sapphire

sapphire New Member

It does sound like gallbladder. I had mine taken out several years ago and have had no problems except right after I kept having gallbladder like attacks. I haven't had one in a long time though.
    My worst pain was in my right shoulder area. I did have stomach pain but nothing like the back pain. I thought I was dying when this first started happening but I'm still here.LOL
    Hope you figure out what it is and get it taken care of soon. That pain is horrible.

Sapphire
  7. healing

healing New Member

I *just* had my gallbladder out. My surgeon said I was very lucky because when you have a gallstone "pass" it can be dangerous -- it can lodge in the duct the gallbladder shares with the pancreas, thereby blocking the pancreas, which will dumbly continue to produce its digestive enzymes, digesting itself and eventually eating a hole in the stomach, which can allow stomach contents to leak into the abdomen. For this reason, they do not "explode" gallstones as they do kidney stones.

More likely, you have a stone that is rolling around and occasionally blocking the bile duct that leads out of your gallbladder.

The best advice I got was from two friends who had emergency gallbladder surgery, and that was not to wait until mine went south on me. They both had major incisions and were laid up for weeks, while I had four bandaids and missed one week of work, and I suffered very little pain. I still am complaining of an acid stomach and take Prevacid for it; hope it will resolve itself over time.

Here is a homeopathic my doc recommended to me for gallbladder pain in my back. Perhaps it will help you.
    Chelidonium Majus 6. Allow 3 pellets to dissolve under your tongue as needed for pain.

Also, if you are having acid reflux, ask for Prevacid or Nexium.

And get a sonagram to see what's going on with the gallbladder -- it's painless and noninvasive. I'm so very glad I listened to my friends. Gallstones don't go away on their own; the only resolution once you have them is surgery to remove the gallbladder, an organ you can live without.
  8. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Wow, I knew you guys would come through for me. I am overwhelmed by the wonderful, informative responses, I received. Thank you so much for your in depth details. I did do some research online about this, however, the info is very clinical. Getting first hand experiences certainly will help me in the decision making processes.

Echos---At the moment I am fearful of any food, lol, don’t want a repeat performance. I stated in my first post I had not had any trouble with my gall bladder. Now, in retrospect, I have been having alot of nausea as of late. Also, for years, if I ate a meal that was high fat content, say a sausage sandwich, I would with in 5 to 10 minutes of this meal begin vomiting. Perhaps I have had a problem, and just not addressed it.
    Thank you, I will certainly stay far away from the fats, oils, and spicy foods---that “attack” was NO fun.

Shazz--Thanks for sharing your experiences. After suffering with IBS and the constraints it puts on ones life, I certainly do not want to do that again. My doctor through treatment has been able to alleviate the IBS symptoms. A return to that would definitely be the pits. Perhaps by watching my diet closely, I can escape or at least greatly postpone surgery. Thanks!

Sapphire--I am so glad you responded well to surgery---that gives me hope incase, worse comes to worse, and these painful episodes reoccur. You are right, about the pain. I have given birth four times--at least you get breaks in between contractions! I have passed 3 kidney stones in the last nine months, and I can tell you this is the MOTHER of ALL pain! To think I am going to experience this will the gall problems, is just making me break out in a sweat, thinking about it! Thanks for your input!

Healing--Thanks for your post. Yes, I know I should get the ultrasound. Geez, I have had at least 5 Ultrasounds, 2 MRI’s, and 4 or 5 CT’s done in the past 9 months for a kidney mass, and kidney stones.
    I am so burned out, and broke! lol I am uninsured....so the bills just keep mounting. I have to have my kidney CT’ed, every 6 months due to the mass---so maybe I can just ask the techie to swing up to my gallbladder next time....lol. Seriously, preventing the major surgery and going with the surgery you had, would definitely be the wise decision for a fibromite to make--much easier on the body. I believe your conclusion that a stone was temp. obstructing is right on the money. If this had become stuck in a duct, I would be experiencing pain, fever, and jaundice, now, which I am not. I sure don’t like the idea of them or it, sitting there waiting for an inopportune time to inflict hell on me. Did that with 3 kidney stones, waiting for them to pass. I will heed your advice, and see what it up, a few bandaids, is far better than being laid open, and the recoup time.
    Thanks for all your help, it is greatly appreciated.
    Best wishes,
    LL
  9. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

MY husband just had his out after feeling ill frequently and having a lot of pain under his rib and shoulder. He too wandered if he was having a heart attack. He tryed doing a gallbladder flush before the surgery but he really felt really ill from that.

He`s doing great. His surgery was two weeks ago. He didn`t have any stones in his gallbladder but it had a lot of inflamation built up on one side and it just wasn`t functioning properly anymore. The doctor said it was unusual to have the inflamation to be on the one side like his was. They wanted to get it out also to make sure it wasn`t cancerous.
  10. CATLADY912

CATLADY912 New Member

YOU SOUND JUST LIKE I DID SHORTLEY BEFORE I HAD MY GALL BLADDER REMOVED. I HAD PAINS UNDER THE RIGHT BREAST UP THE RIGHT ARM WITH NAUSEA BUT NO VOMITING EVEN THOUGH I FELF LIKE IT. I HAD THE SCAN TO MAKE SURE THAT THE GALLBLADDER WAS THE ORGAN GIVING ME THE PROBLEM, WHICH IT WAS BECAUSE IT SHOWED UP GALL STONES.
    I HAD MY SURGERY A FEW WEEKS LATER. I WENT IN AT 6:30AM AT THE OUTPATIENT SURGICAL CENTER AND I WNET HOME LATER THAT AFTERNOON. I GOT ALONG FINE. I EVEN DID NOT HAVE TO TAKE ANY HEAVY DUTY MEDS FOR THE PAIN STARTING ON THE 3RD DAY. NOW A DAYS THEY DO IT MICROSCOPIC SO YOU CAN GO HOME THAT SAME DAY. I FELT BAB FOR 3 FDAYS AND THEN I WAS UP AND AROUND> ITS A EASY SURGERY AND RECUPERATION IS SHORT SO GO AHEAD AND GET IT AND THAN IT WILL BE OVER, BUT MAE SURE A DOCTOR FINDS SOME GALL STONES, SOMETHING ELSE IN YOU GALLBALLDER LIKE A PIECE OF STING. HAVE IT CHECKED OUT AND IF H=YOU HAVE GALLSSTONES GO AHEAD AND GET THEM OUT. YOU WILL SEEL FO MUCH RELIEF,

CHERRYS,JANICE
  11. layinglow

layinglow New Member

Sandy and Janice
    Thanks, guys on your reports, knowing that many of you have had good results, eases my fears, greatly!

Dawg, My pain wasn’t that low, it wasn’t midway between diaphragm and belly button, but instead immediately below last ribs in that hollow area, I would call the solar plexus. I did try some massage and it really made the pain worse,....lol, and I, too have no baby to show for it, but I think I have met my quota on that anyway!

I couldn’t muster up the courage to eat yesterday, finally my husband insisted I have a little to eat, around 10:30 pm, last nite. And “little” it was, lol.......I broke out in a sweat eating those few bites, just wondering what was around the corner. Happy to report no adverse effects! I spoke with my sister who told me prior to her surgery, she would have period “bouts”, never knowing when it would knock her off for a loop.

My one hesitation in the surgery---is being in that 5% that have sudden potty trips.....as I went through this with IBS, finally having it much more under control. I know the urgency of this, and how it limits ones life to such a high degree. Suppose I would rather live with that though, than this excruciating pain, if it returns.

Thanks for all your support! LL
  12. Bambi

Bambi New Member

is a tall order, but ask around and
    see if anyone you know knows of a good one that is at least a little
    bit hesitant on surgery unless absolutely necessary. My girlfriend had her gall bladder out years ago and has had horrible diarrhea ever since. A young man in the lab goofed
    and showed her her "HEALTHY" gall bladder after it was out, so it wasn't even necessary. My mother's husband had his out and still gets
    stones, which I didn't know was possible but is. Go forth carefully.
    Hugs,Bambi
  13. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

I've been having trouble with my "gallbladder" and have been hesitating to do anything. Printed this out and will discuss some of the positives and negatives with my doctor. It gives me plenty to think about.
    Seems like a lot of people here have had gallbladder problems. I'd love to see a study done to see if people with this disease have a greater incidence of gallbladder stones or problems.[This Message was Edited on 03/02/2003]