Gallbladder Illness?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rockismom, May 30, 2010.

1. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

Can anyone tell me what if feels like to have gallbladder illness or an "attack"?

I've felt nauseated lately and having pain on my left side. If I put my hand just above my waist and move it right below my breast it is very tender. Both symptoms come and go.

I've had Costochondritis and it doesn't feel like the same pain. Also, it isn't as constant.

Thoughts or opinions?

[This Message was Edited on 05/30/2010]
  2. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

IME gall bladder pain is usually right side, under ribs, often w/radiating pain to back near right shoulder blade ...

Best wishes.
  3. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Left side is spleen.
  4. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I had these weird symptoms for years. Excrutiating pain in my abdomen, directly between my ribcage and radiating into my left shoulder and down into my lower back. Many times the pain between my ribcage felt like an arrow was shot through my front to my back, or the pressure sent me to the ER a couple of times, like a heart attack.

Each time i was mocked and sent home like a hypochondriac. My regular Dr believed me but because my symptoms weren't typical of Gallstones, he didn't figure it out. I had years of high liver enzyme tests and finally due to stomach bloating and another issue, he sent me for a ultra sound, which found gallstones and sludge in my gallbladder.

A couple of months later, my gallbladder was removed and I haven't had those pains or problems again. If you think it may be your gallbladder, have it checked. Many people have non-typical symptoms and suffer for years unnecessarily!!!!

5. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

Your last comment:
    "Many people have non-typical symptoms and suffer for years unnecessarily!!!!",
    reminded me that years ago my GP. told me I was a weird patient because my symptoms never matched my diagnosis. His comment slipped my mind but is really something I should probably try to remember to tell new physicians I come into contact with!

My sister had her gallbladder removed two years ago and went on to have a hiatal hernia repaired just last March. Guess I should check with my doctor and see what she thinks.

Thanks again for your reply.
  6. tig519

tig519 Member

Took me almost two years to actually get a surgeon to take my GB out. I didn't have stones until the very end so diagnosis was a bit challenging. I actually had a dysfunctional GB. Which basically meant if I didn't have the GB test when I was having an attack... it was hard to see it wasn't working.

My attacks did cause extreme nausea and tenderness and pain in the center part of chest just below the center breastplate. Back pain as well. At times the pain was really sharp. I didn't have pain triggered by the typical foods. It was hit or miss. Sometime my GB worked, sometimes not.

The one thing I would recommend is getting the GB test with CCK (it simulates the GB as it would be when you eat). When I finally had the test show it was my GB (2nd test in two years, had to wait almost a year to take it again) my GB was working at 10% and the surgeon scheduled me the next day for surgery. Once the lab tests came back after the surgery he said I was very lucky to have it out when I did (not that it was my choice... would have been done a year ago).

When they sent to the lab after the surgery it came back as having everything you could possibly have wrong with a GB. Dysfunctional, stones and scar tissue (lesions) from all the attacks I was suffering.

I'd make sure it is checked.
  7. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

It seems my "symptoms" have subsided for the time being. Thank goodness. I realize I still need to mention this to my GP next time I see her.