Gals only - extended breastfeeding friend or foe?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mkeyes1, Nov 30, 2006.

1. mkeyes1

mkeyes1 New Member

My FM has been mostly in remission over the past 2 1/2 years while pregnant and breastfeeding...I am into extended nursing for benefits to me and child, but now wonder if it hurting me. my symptoms of fatigue and sleeplesnees are back, and I have had a series of strep throat and acute sinusitus over the past 6 weeks. do you gals have thoughts on the hormonal benefits of nursing and whether there is a limit to when it may be draining for mommy?
    [This Message was Edited on 11/30/2006]
  2. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

I breast fed for 8 months so not sure.

Also you might want to listen to your body. If you are having these questions and symptoms maybe it's time.

Are you taking any meds that would be a consideration too that the child wouldn't need?

You can go to the La Leche League org website and get information regarding hormones etc.

Take care,
    Susan07
  3. mkeyes1

mkeyes1 New Member

yes, I need to be reminded about listening to my body. I am not taking ANY meds, as when I became prego all my FM symptoms went away luckily, and even while nursing, but they are coming back.....guess it may be time for meds again. Thanks!
  4. mlrarr

mlrarr New Member

are breastfeeding your child for so long. I always did my children for up to three years old. If your child is eating and not breastfeeding as much, your hormons are getting back to what they once were. I loved being pregnant because I had no pain, got REAL sleep, and just felt great!! I got fm and cfs after my 4th child and had three more after that one!!!
    Are you taking lots of vitiamns? your system is more that likely getting worn out thats why you are getting sick. Everything is still going to your baby. I would take extra b and c and see if that helps. But if you still want to extend breastfeeding and your baby is still wanting to GO FOR IT!!!
    Melinda
  5. mkeyes1

mkeyes1 New Member

Gals, thanks so much for the love and support. Only FM Moms know about the challenges of birthing, nursing and taking care of ourselves. I am pretty depleted and have had some bad reactions to a couple of multivitamin/prenatals. any good suggestions? I am willing to try anything(within reason)....am also stuggling with a chronic sinus infection so may try a small does of Guafenesin, once I confirm it is OK for child.
  6. mkeyes1

mkeyes1 New Member

Thanks for the suggestions...I am heading to whole foods now for some Colloidal silver....I tried a Trader Joes brand Womens formula which gave me dia/loose bowels. yuck. I am a newbie to all of this, so thank you again.