Game 110: WHAT In The World?!?! (Sep 17)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Soul*, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

What in the world. It's a vogeltje, but what kind?
    Especially for Rock :D Oh and it's not a crane :p
    This picture itself won't be found on the web, feel free to ask questions to find out more about it.
    [​IMG]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Soul

Scientists tell us that over 90% of small brown birds are wrens. A large number of
    them saw service during the two World Wars as members of the British Military:
    Women's Royal Navy Service.

This modest little bird is not always so drab, however. During the mating season it
    displays brilliant plumage of red, orange and blue. Somewhat similar to the Toucan's
    relative, the Threecan. Alas, the mating season only lasts 45 minutes.

This particular species of wren, sometimes known as the Brown Thrasher, is native to
    Madagascar. The local people believe it is good luck to have one fly over head. It
    is possible that a misunderstanding of this superstition is what led to Johnny Depp's
    unbelievable appearance as Tonto (I Have a Dead Bird Overhead) in his recent
    film disaster.

When not in Madagascar, this little fellow sometimes visits Carolina. It is a firm
    believer that nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina in the morning.

The natural habitat of this bird is places where dining al fresco is practiced such as
    picnic grounds, amusement parks, drive ins, etc. It's food of choice is the french fry
    followed by a quick beakful of catsup.

Perhaps the most distinctive identifying characteristic of the subject in question is its
    habit of only flapping one wing at a time. This lends a certain insouciant swoopiness
    to its flight that is certain to excite the lucky birdwatcher who can record an observation.

Rock
    bct likes this.
  3. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

Great description Rock, this is one of the 10% that is not a wren though. :p

It is a baby bird that has just left the nest. It does get color when maturing. And both the lady and gent bird in this case are colored partially.

game.jpg This one is the same bird and gives away a tiny bit more of it's future coloring. That should give you all a clue to find it...
  4. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

Here is an adult one, a bit blurry and at a distance not to give it completely away... Feel free to let me know if you want more clues.
    [​IMG]
  5. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

I haven't the faintest idea but I've thoroughly enjoyed Rock's answers! Keep em comin.

What! I was really upset with myself for missing The Lone Ranger in the theatre because I heard it was very funny. You mean Johnny Dep's interpretation of Tonto didn't make it?
  6. bct

bct Member

Might it be a robin?

Barry
    Soul* likes this.
  7. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

Woohooo Barry, yes it is.
    [​IMG]
    Bonus points for who can give the specific type of Robin.

I agree Sun, I enjoy Rocks answers too :D
  8. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

9. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

It is not an American Robin and I just found out it is not even related to the American Robin either:
  10. bct

bct Member

Well, it looks like the robins we have in England. Do they differ from the Dutch? Our American robins are much larger and not as cute. Little robin redbreast....

Love,
    Barry

OOPS, you out-posted me Soul! :p
  11. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

I grew up with robins in the back yard all summer long. If that is a robin I'm
    the queen of Romania. (With a tip of the hat to Dorothy Parker.)

Well, OK, maybe it's an illegal alien robin.

Rock
  12. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

Bows to the queen of Romania, your majesty... Please have mercy on the illegal alien American Robin, they come in peace. :rolleyes:

Barry, yes it is the same as the English Robin. It is called the European Robin. And according to the little youtube video the American Robin is called after the European one simply because it also has a red breast but the European Robin had the name first and they aren't related :p

This year was the first year they nested in my back yard. They have visited for all the years I lived here but now actually raised their young in my garden. They are lovely little birds. I only found out they nested here when the young left the nest... Duhhhhtch much huh... :p
  13. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

14. windblade

windblade Active Member

Rock - your post had me laughing so hard. Like a brand new Groucho Marx routine.

I always read about the European Robins, but this is the first time I've seen a close-up picture.

Ooooh Barry, I was going to guess a Robin as I scrolled down.

Can I get 1/2 a point for a late-coming guess????

Soul - I had Robins build a nest in a pine tree outside my window - loved watching the nest building and egg sitting. The parent bird would freeze with it's beak upward whenever I walked under the tree. Watched it all the way through to the chick's first flight.

Judy
  15. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

Judy that's so cool. The blackbirds nest every year and I love watching them build here but they haven't succeeded to hatch yet. The nest gets robbed and abandoned and then they move somewhere else and come back later with their young to feast on the compostheap. The great and blue tits also started nesting but never finished. The blackbirds have layed eggs more then once and they do have babies in it since I found one on the lawn once after it was robbed still in eggshape but I think either the cats or the jays rob them. The robins visit every year but hadn't nested yet so I was so surprised after seeing the young that they actually did nest in the jasmin where I moved the birdhouse to this year. I hadn't seen the parents around THAT much so thought they would be nesting elsewhere and just came to my garden after leaving the nest. Only THEN I noticed the nest in the jasmin. They are funny little birds, not afraid at all. When I'm out in the garden they'll just sit real close waiting to check out what I was doing.
    game.jpg