Game 128: WHAT In The World?!?! (Oct 5)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Soul*, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

What and where in the world? All I can say is you all know this place :p
  2. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

Looks like the Eiffel Tower from the bottom up. Just a guess...
    Soul* likes this.
  3. windblade

windblade Active Member

Well done, Windy! I just checked pics, and you got it.

Soul* likes this.
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Soul* likes this.
  5. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

YAY, congrats Windy, that was a fast one :)

We used to have a figurine sawed out one made by a great uncle in my youth. It was an impressive and detailed piece.

It looked much like this one but was in dark brown.
  6. windblade

windblade Active Member

Rock, my father grew up being able to see the Statue of Liberty from his house in New Jersey.

And when I was living across from Manhattan, and driving down South in New Jersey, I passed quite close to her on each trip. A very special feeling.

7. rockgor

Hi Judy, Can one see the Statue from both New Jersey and New York? I remember singing
    Irving Berlin's song in the High School Choir. Words by Emma Lazarus. Learned the
    relevant part of her poem in 9th grade. Still remember it.

We memorized lots of stuff in those days: famous quotes, poems, the Presidents in order,
    The beginning of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, the Pledge of
    Allegiance. I wonder if kids memorize anything today. Did you see the news item a few
    days ago? Less than 10% of Americans can name our first 4 Presidents.

In Sunday School we memorized the books of the Bible. I've forgotten almost all of

Soul, How tall was the model your g-uncle made? The one in the pic looks like it might
    have been carved from ivory.

What are the most important subjects in Dutch schools? Languages? The history of
    Holland? History of Europe? There were Dutch explorers of America. New York
    was once New Amsterdam.

8. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

Yea, I got it right! I'm stunned...thought all my brain cells were dead (guess not...LOL).

The carving of the Eiffel Tower looks like it was carved from cork. I have a small cork carving of an oriental bridge and this reminds me of it. Love the Tower carving!!! you know whatever happened to your great uncle's carving?

I've been to the Eiffel Tower and it's one of the memories I treasure. I "love" Paris!!! The only time I've seen the Statue of Liberty was in an airplane flying over it. But, it was totally impressive.

I'm just guessing, but there had to be Dutch explorers. The English eventually took over their lands. Somewhere in our family genealogy, I've been told we have Dutch heritage, but I haven't been able to tract this down. A cousin of my Dad's told me this and she passed away before giving me the details.:(
  9. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Rock I think the one in the picture is from unfinished plywood.
    The one my great uncle made was about a meter high I think, thats roughly round about 3 feet? We had to take of a piece of the top to fit it under the ceiling.

It was on top of a rough wooden oak cabinet that a friend of the family made. He also made a rough wooden oak picknick style dining table and benches for us. That table has sure been used to the max.

I'm not sure what are the most important subjects in Dutch schools nowadays Rock. English for sure, it's obligatory. And yes I did get history lessons in school too. That wasn't my favorite, I had a hard time memorizing things that had no logic in it. Loved math but history and science not so much though biology was one of my favorite subjects too.

I'll check my childhood score charts :p From grade 4 (age 9) onward we got history and geography and physics. In grade 6 (age 11) we moved and at the new school it was called world orientation. I scored a 5 out of 10 which is really bad for me B) The teacher wasn't to pleased with me. I was reasonably interested but the matter didn't stick to me he wrote.. ;)

Then in College (? age 12) we got Dutch, Math, French, English, History (again 5 out of 10, the only one I scored bad at), Biology, Geography, Religion, Music, Art (drawing, painting and such), Art (sculpting and such) and Gym/Sports. The following year German, Trade knowledge (? bookkeeping and such) and physics where added. We were allowed to drop one language (except English or Dutch) and one other subject the third year and I dropped German and physics.
    In the graduation year we had to pick five main subjects and if we wanted a sixth we could pick that too. Dutch, English where obligatory and I picked Math, Biology, Trade knowledge (least worse choice left :p) and music as a sixth, I was really sad that I wasn't allowed to keep art too. Next to that we still had gym and sociology. I passed with flying colors, 9/10 for English and Biology and 7/10 for the other 4. I really messed up math as I had an average 9 for that too but totally blacked out on the exam. That's as detailed as I can describe our school system back then :p Oh and on higher levels they would also get Spanish and Latin I think...

Yes there is a lot of reference to the Netherlands in America. The Dutch are world explorers throughout history. I think in history lessons we mostly learned about Dutch history and the Dutch seafarers and such... I dropped history the moment I was allowed to drop it :p The years and numbers just wouldn't stick to me B)

I don't remember what happened to the Eiffel tower my great uncle made... It must have taken him quite some months if not years fretsawing it all by hand. I think when we where flying the nest noone of us had a real interest nor space to have it, it was a huge thing, and it probably went to another sibling of my mom since she was moving to a smaller house too... I'm not sure, I should ask her...

We went to Paris for my moms 65th birthday. We kidnapped her and took her blindfolded. My brother had an oldtimer dodge and both my brothers where wearing cowboy hats :p Noone stopped us though she was blindfolded passed the border. Except for the car... that wouldn't start anymore at the border. Was quite an adventure, we got stuck in a small Parisian parking basement :D It was around the time Disneyland Paris just had opened up.
  10. rockgor

Wow! What an array of courses you had. And a such a young age. We don't have variety
    like that here until we get to college. What is "trade knowledge"? Possibly what we call
    economics? How many languages did you study? And how many do you use now?

There is lots of info on the net regarding Dutch explorers and Dutch influence in the U.S.
    Wikipedia has a fascinating article. The Hudson River in New York was named after Henry
    Hudson who explored for the Dutch East India Company. There was an Isaac Wyckoff
    who was a minister in 19th century America. A village in Minnesota near the one where I
    grew up was named Wykoff. One of my second cousins married a girl named Eickhoff
    from Wykoff. They used to say, "It isn't Wykoff till you see an Eickhoff".

We also had 5 Presidents with Dutch ancestry. Two Bushes, two Roosevelts and a Van Buren.

The Old World influenced the New and vice versa.

11. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Yeah it's economics, google translate didn't come up with that :p

I learned Dutch and English in school for about seven years I think. 1 year German, 2 years French, but I sometimes cheated on that since I knew I was going to drop it anyways :p. And later on in life I studied Hindi for a couple of years and am still learning more words today but not studying it on a regular basis.

I'm able to have a conversation in Dutch and English and could manage in broken baby German. I can understand Hindi somewhat but not everything and can only speak a few sentences and words and French would be the weakest link where I only know a few words and sentences really. Still learning different languages has helped me to also make sense a bit of other languages like Italian and such. Hindi is a beautiful language with so much meaning, they have words that take us a whole sentence to describe what is meant.

I practically use Dutch and English mainly and Hindi for reading and listening to music and lectures but not so much for conversations. I don't actually use French or German at all unless I meet folks from there which hardly ever happens anymore being housebound mostly :p Nowadays I might actually use English more then Dutch being online a lot.

van Buren is definitely a very dutch name. It means from the neighbours :p
  12. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

How fascinating to have been exposed to learning so many languages when you were young. Rock's right...we're normally only exposed to a 2nd language once we get into high school (normally, the last 3 years out of 12). I had always wanted to travel and felt French would be another good universal language. I spent those 3 years learning how to conjugate verbs, but not how to actually speak it. It wasn't until I was a long time out of school I realized I also needed to "think" in it. And, of course, if you don't use it, you lose it.

Our French teacher always told us she was from Paris. It wasn't until our 3rd year we learned she was from "Paris, California"...we all felt "hoodwinked". I should have been practical and taken, that's a language the I would have used!!!

What is your "native" language? I do admire your ability to speak so many languages.:)

My daughter-in-law is from Germany (formerly a part of the eastern sector) so our grandchildren are bilingual. I love it!! I've attempted to learn German (Rosetta Stone), but nothing sticks these days. Heck, I can't even remember why I walked into the next room these days let alone learn a new language at my age.

Our possible family connection with Dutch is via Van Horne. I've worked on our family genealogy for many years (but not diligently). I mentioned I haven't made the yet. There was a major fire that destroyed much of the 1910 (I believe) census and that's where I hit a wall.

The tower replica that was made had to be huge...not an easy thing to pass from generation to generation.

13. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Lol on your French's teachers Paris :p

Dutch is my native language and Europe is so small compared to the USA so it isn't that weird that we get more languages in school.

These days they even start teaching English in Kindergarten.

I forget what I was going to get constantly too. I can't even turn around to write it down and it's gone. It seems that is quite a different part of our brain regulating that though. I'm amazed sometimes how well I do at things like brain academy games where you have to remember numbers and how lousy I do at remembering the simplest things in real life. I guess we have no clue how detailed all the different parts of our brain works and what exactly is and isn't affected.

I was learning Hindi when I got sick and I did notice how it became more and more hard to keep up. Learning to read it wasn't to hard just like learning to read roman script but easier since every letter in Hindi is a sound so once you know it it becomes easy to pronounce since there are no exceptions soundwise. When I started out though I couldn't even follow a slowly spoken piece of text even with romanised text right under my nose.
  14. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Boy, am I impressed with all the languages and what you've learned. You were in college at age 12? Did I understand that correctly? We go to High School usually from age 12/13 for 4 years and then on to college or not.

When I was in H.S. we could be either college prep or business prep. I took French but the teacher was a tyrant and would throw chalk or erasers at us or pull your hair or kick you and that was totally allowed at that time. And she WAS from France......Mrs. Battin was her name! Even now I shudder. I was very shy in H.S. and became almost afraid to go to the classroom. Now I would have picked up the chalk and thrown it back or kick her back!!!! She refused once to give me a test because I was 5 min. late getting in from drill team practice (P.E) I told my Drill team instructor who went to the principal and raised a ruckus. She had to allow me to take the test but I couldn't take her anymore so dropped the class. Went from As to almost failing.
  15. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Sun I probably mix things up I don't understand what is when and how to translate it properly. I thought first came college then highschool :p But it probably has to be the other way around then :D
    That's why I included the age so you could understand that way what period in education I meant.

I hear you on the teachers being quite influencial on our choices. I didn't quite like my French and German teachers either. The geography and history teacher was very nice but it just wouldn't stick.
  16. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

thanks for explaining that. I was feeling VERY stupid thinking you had gone to college at age l2. I know there are very brilliant kids who enroll in college at that age.