Game 129: WHAT In The World?!?! (Oct 6)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Soul*, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

The only clue I can give it is in my backgarden, I have sown it myself in a mix of all kinds of things I wanted to try out but I have no clue what this is. The leafs are very soft. It could be a number of things but I don't know what any of it is supposed to look like so I'll leave it up to you to find out.
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Soul

Looks like the notorious Dutch Ivy. Don't touch it. Extremely toxic.

3. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Oooh I just found out what it is, not gonna tell you ofcourse... :rolleyes: There are similar pictures out there to be found...

It isn't notorious Dutch Ivy, nor is it toxic, on the contrary.

I forgot about a few seeds I had in the mix where I just ran into when making my bread.

The thing I CAN say is that it is planted for the seeds. And they are very healthy. AND very expensive, that's why I decided to try and sow some... All I don't know is that if they will still have enough time to flower before winter strikes...

I'll give you another clue and post the picture of the flower that it is supposed to get, no sign of those yet over here and it IS getting colder already... Jaguar_Cub_II_by_llLynx.jpg
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Well, I found a plant with flowers of the same shape, but they are more red than purple.
    The scientific name is Leonurus artemisia aka Chinese motherwort. Used for Asian medicines.

I will ask Gordon if he knows about them. He's Chinese.

5. bct

bct Active Member

Looks like a Salvia of some kind, both in leaf and flower. Hmmm. Chia sage, Salvia hispanica.
    Soul* likes this.
  6. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Wooohoooo and we have a winner!!!! Yes it's the plant coming from Chia seeds. Do you happen to know if the leafs are edible? They smell real nice.
  7. bct

bct Active Member

Hi Soul, I don't know whether the leaves are edible or not. Try a couple. I know of no salvia that is toxic. Probably will taste nasty. This plant is native to Mexico. The Mexican state CHIApas is named from this! On second thought don't swallow the leaves, just chew and spit for the taste. Of course the seeds are the only reason the plant is grown. Supposed to be very nutritious. Australia the world's biggest producer of chia (how strange).

My top grain now is quinoa.

8. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

Thanks Barry! I sowed quinoa in that mix too but I don't think any has come up. It may have not been actual seeds not sure, I just tossed in what I bought in the healthfood store for consumption.

I googled and asked around about the Chia plant en the leafs can be used in salads and for tea both fresh and dried so no lost case :D

It seems it is very hard to get them to flower so it isn't strange that they didn't. Gonna look into a greenhouse this winter to maybe get a better crop next year. All is barely growing now but every year it gets a tiny bit better.