Game 54: WHAT In The World?!?! (Aug 20)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Soul*, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

Here is a game in which Diane can participate too.
    I'm looking for the name of what is made from what you see here. On this picture is shown a pretty old one that probably has been run over a few times. It is on the back of a bicycle so that you know what size it approximately is. Good luck!

[​IMG]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Soul
    Looks like a dikon radish that spent too much time basking in a camp fire. I don't know what you
    could make from it. Charcoal briquets, maybe?

Does it have the same birthday as Roy Rogers?
    Rock
    Soul* likes this.
  3. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

LOL Rock no I think it has the same birthday as the other guys round about depending on what is considered the moment of birth... Birth year would be 2012 though. Though the tree it came from might have the same birthday... that could well be it probably wouldn't have sprouted early spring over here but august should be warm enough, and it's an OLD tree that's for sure... I hope to get there in time this year and get some real good ones to use. This post should already give you some extra hints... :D
  4. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

If you get fed up feel free to let me know, there are plenty of hints I can give without giving it away. I will post another picture in a bit. By the way this 'thing' has not be smoked or been in fire or anything, it looks like this all naturally. But starts out in a different color. Oh and you won't find this particular picture online ;)
  5. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

It looks like a knarly old pod but it must be long considering the size of the clothes pin in the photo. Haven't found anything that would put out a pod that size though.
    Soul* likes this.
  6. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

It's a knarly old pod alright, but what kind????

This is the 'mother' with lots of unripe siblings still on it. Not completely green anymore but not nice and brown yet either, they will leave momma when they first have become that nice rich brown:
    [​IMG]
  7. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

It's a BIG mama. [​IMG]
    I'll give you a few more clues before I head to bed and will crown the winner tomorrow morning when I get up when you have found the answer right??? :)

Part of what is on the first picture's inside was used in the olden days to weigh gold and diamonds. The part that is not for consumption. The other part is being used for jummy jummy goodies for people that are intolerant to another goodie...
  8. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

well, I was thinking a carob tree or catalba but the pods aren't that long.

Diane....you were so excited to play the game that you forgot to give it a name! LOL And I think this is where you found the green and brown pod picture. And I think the following is where you found the green and brown pod. I also believe these trees grow around my little city in so. calif.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceratonia_siliqua
    Soul* likes this.
  9. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

I was thinking catalpa tree too, SG, but I think their pods are skinnier. Well, I don't CAre if I've been ROBbed.
    Ha Ha! Wikipedia says the carob tree "is a species of flowering evergreen shrub or tree in the pea family, Fabaceae." Think of that; a tree that is a pea. It also says the word carat (as in gold) comes from carob.
    Doesn't say which language was the source.

So I guess Diane should get a gold medal.

Rock
    Soul* likes this.
  10. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Member

I was thinking along the lines of Dutch cocoa but the pods were a totally different shape. I never would have thought of carob.
  11. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

Crowns all the sleeping beauty's in the different time zones and puts gold medals on all. Yep, carob it is! And what a wonderful thing it is for those of us intolerant to chocolate. Thanks everyone for playing! Looking forward to the next game Diane, and if you ever feel like playing don't hesitate to let us know so that someone else can put up a game.
    [​IMG]
    I only found out this year that is was made from these pods and grew in my own neighbourhood so definitely going to try and harvest some before the cars run it over this year. The seeds where used for weighing because they all have the exact same weight. And one seed equals one carat if I remember correctly.

Congrats to all winners!!!
  12. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

Diane it is home made bread spread. The Dutch have all kinds of varieties of chocolate to put on their sandwiches. It's like nutella but without nuts. Chocolate spread. But without the chocolate, or sugar, or dairy. The top two jars both are the spread. Left bottom jar is Carobe powder that is made from the grinded pods basically. It seems the pods itself when fresh from the tree (meaning brown but not run over) are a delicacy too and can be eaten as is they say, going to try that this year. The right bottom jar is stevia, which is a natural sweetener made from a plant that doesn't mess with your bloodsugar and doesn't have side effects on your weight like sugar has. I use it because sugar gives me three day migraines and increases pain in my muscles and chaos in my nervesystem. Same with cacao or coffee, I can't use those either but never was a big coffee drinker so don't miss it. The left bag is pure vanilla powder and the right is coconutcream I think you would call it. It's basically a whole coconut (without the shell) blended into a block. I first made this paste with coconut oil but that is really expensive. Since the blocks are much cheaper I tried with that and works like a charm. I just let the blocks melt au bain marie and then add the carobpowder some stevia, vanilla and soymilk and mix it up. Then when it cools down it becomes like this. The coconut oil with the carobpowder I use to make chocolate free chocolates. I fill an icecubtray with grinded walnut, then poor in the melted coconut carobe oil and let it set. Real easy very tasty.
  13. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

P.S. I send you a message to your inbox with some ideas Diane ;)
    I will try and post a game every now and then too when I feel up to it.