Game: Can you match famous actors' names with their stage names?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, May 30, 2007.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I've been reading Kirk Douglas's recent memoir, Let's Face It. In the first chapter, he talks about other actors who changed their names. How many of these can you match up? I'll give the answers a little later.

Muzyad Yakhoob
    Spanger Arlington Brugh
    Marion Morrison
    Mladen Sekulovich
    Frederick Austerlitz
    Archibald Alexander Leach
    Bernard Schwarz
    Antonio Dominic Benedetto
    Michael Douglas
    Issur Danielovitch

Tony Curtis
    Michael Keaton
    Danny Thomas
    Fred Astaire
    Cary Grant
    John Wayne
    Robert Taylor
    Tony Bennett
    Kirk Douglas
    Karl Malden

[This Message was Edited on 05/30/2007]
  2. sisland

sisland New Member

Kool new Post! The only one i Know off the top of my Head is Marion Morrison=John Wayne,,,,,,I'll start looking!,,,,,S
  3. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi Ken,

Fun post.

Danny Thomas=Muzyad Yakhoob
    Tony Curtis = Bernard Schwartz
    Michael Keaton = Michael Douglas
    Fred Astaire = Frederick Austerlitz
    Cary Grant = Archibald Leach
    John Wayne = Marion Morrison
    Tony Bennett = Anthony Benedetto
    Kirk Douglas=Issur Danielovitch
    Karl Malden=Mladen Sekulovich
    Robert Taylor= Spanger Arlington Brugh
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

MCD: Good point about Danny Thomas's nose. The same point might be made about Karl Malden's.

Zen: You nailed them all. Well done. If you changed your name to a celebrity/actor type name, what would it be?
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

society during the last few decades. Actors now keep their own names.

I think Ruth Hussy was an exception to the rule. During the golden age of movies she was allowed to keep her own name despite its negative connotations. (Can't find much about her on the net.)

6. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Muzyad Yakhoob = Danny Thomas

Spanger Arlington Brugh = by elimination: Robert Taylor?!

Marion Morrison = John Wayne

Mladen Sekulovich = Karl Malden

Frederick Austerlitz = Fred Astaire

Archibald Alexander Leach = Cary Grant

Bernard Schwarz = Tony Curtis

Antonio Dominic Benedetto = Tony Bennet

Michael Douglas = Michael Keaton

Issur Danielovitch = Kirk Douglas

How'd I do?

Ken, you be the game king!
    Peace out,

OH! I looked at the rest of the thread. I got them all too!

I knew Marion and Archibald.

I knew Kirk and Tony Curtis were Jewish and kinda went by a generational name thing.

I knew Danny Thomas was middle eastern but not Jewish.

Fred, Tony B and Karl had echoes of their old names.

By the time I'd winnowed them down Michael Keaton made sense.

BUT, Spanger Arlington Brugh???!!! He doesn't look like a Spanger Arlington Brugh! But then, who does!

7. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Well done, too, Rafiki. Good logic behind your guesses.

Rock is right about actors no longer changing their names. Tom Cruise did (Thomas Mapother, originally), but can you imagine the studio heads of the 40s and 50s not demanding changes in the following ethnic names?:

Al Pacino
    Robert De Niro
    Jerry Seinfeld
    David Schwimmer
    Matthew McConaughey
    Garry Shandling
    Melina Kankaredes

Kirk Douglas points out that Arnold Schwarzenegger would have been "Arnold Black" because "Schwartz" means "black" in German.

8. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Meryl Streep! Imagine?!

9. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Great picture in your profile. Maybe you should do a "Where in the world is this?" game with it.
  10. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

He's here in Toronto today meeting with our provincial PM and he's traveling with a huge contingent of body guards and a big motorcade of huge black cars! (A bit silly when he's here to talk about his environmental plans.)

It's so funny to see that here. Not only is this a very safe city but Torontonians don't make much of a fuss over celeb.s. I think that's one of the reasons why they like to come here for our festival.

They are interviewing people on the local news stations about his visit and so many people are saying, "Why does he need all these big guys? (chuckling) He's The Terminator."

He's short, huh?

peace oot,

11. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I would, Ken, but I don't know where it is!!!

I Stumbledupon it.

Anyway, it's my house ;~) and we're not supposed to give out information like that.

PS Hey, can you find out where it is? My only concern is that it might be some photo-magic and could be a wild goose chase.

12. kholmes

kholmes New Member

It has a kind of Celtic look to it. The picture might be doctored, but it looks real to me. It might be fun to post it anyway, admitting that we have no idea where it is or even if it's real, and see if anyone can find another picture of it. Paulmack is especially good at finding pictures of Celtic castles, as he lives in Glasgow.

I'm wondering if this one is a recent construction.
  13. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

How are you enjoying "Let's Face It"? I saw a snippet of info about it on, and it looks like an interesting book.

As for my celebrity name, that is an interesting question. You could be known as "Zen Ken". Bad joke theater.

Perhaps I would use my maiden name "Effron"? However, apparently, it's already in use by real Hollywood folks-- Nora "Ephron" and Zac "Efron" (he's a teen actor). "Effron" is a rare last name, but is has 3 different spellings.

I think your name already fits Hollywood. Easy to say and pronounce. You're all set!
  14. kholmes

kholmes New Member

"Zen Ken" made me laugh.

Isn't there also an Efren Zimbalist Jr, or something like that? Or is that Ephraim?

Effron could still be part of your screen name. How about Skyler Effron? Meryl Effron? Sometimes movie stars have three names: Phillip Baker Hall, Phillip Seymour Hoffman... How about Sarah Price Effron? Dominique Jordain Effron?

Or you could use "Ouchy": Ouchy McBride, Ouchy McDermott, Raven Ouchy, Pilar Ouchy.

I'm greatly enjoying LET'S FACE IT. I've always been a Kirk Douglas fan. Hard to believe he's in his 90s. He wrote a previous book about his stroke, and five or six memoirs before that. This one is kind of like hearing a very old man reminisce about his life and family. Lots of fascinating stories here, though, about his movie career; the loss of his son, Peter; life with his wife, sons, and dogs; breaking the Hollywood blacklist by putting the blacklisted screenwriter, Dalton Trumbo's name in the credits of the movie, Spartacus. My favorite Kirk Douglas movie is Lonely Are the Brave, shot right here in Albuquerque.

[This Message was Edited on 06/01/2007]
  15. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Do you have Turner Classic Movies? I think that's where I saw a brief homage to Kirk written and voiced by his son, Michael.

It's very moving and, since we've been privy to their father/son problems in the past, it's a lovely lesson in forgiveness and understanding.

Michael talks about how he didn't know or understand his father. It's good that they had a chance to reconnect. They seem to have a deep appreciation for each other now that is a lesson for fathers and sons everywhere.

Peace out,
    Ra Freaky
  16. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I don't have Turner Classic Movies at the moment, but will in a few weeks. I'm upgrading from basic cable in order to catch the whole Tour de France on the Versus network.

You know, though, I think I did see that tribute on American Movie Classics a while back. It showed Kirk Douglas in many of his famous films, with narration by Michael. It was excellent. I'd like to see the film with all three generations of Douglases in it (can't remember the name of it, offhand).

In Let's Face It, Kirk Douglas talks a lot about what a jerk he was in his younger years. And if Michael was anything like Kirk was in his youth, I can see how they would not get along. It's always touching to see reconciliation between father and son.
  17. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I think I saw it on AMC, too. Wasn't sure which.

AMC, IFC and TCM have recently been added, at no additional cost, to the cable subscription I had. heaven!!! I was debating downgrading because of the cost but I can't bring myself to do it now.

Fathers & Sons, Mothers & daughters... recipe for trouble. But, you know, if it weren't, no one would ever leave home, fall in love and have a life.

I'm sure I'd enjoy that book. I love biographies! Must be the voyeur in me ;~)

peace out,
  18. kholmes

kholmes New Member

There's something very relaxing about watching classic movies in the afternoon. I miss having TCM. You know, I think you were right; the Douglas tribute was on TCM. AMC shows much more recent films.

Good point about parents and offspring!

I think you'd enjoy the book, too. Ever read Charlie Chaplin's autobiography? That's a remarkable book. I must have that voyeuristic fascination in me, too. I'll read a memoir by almost any celebrity if I see one.

Time for a nap now, though.

[This Message was Edited on 06/01/2007]
  19. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

was a big TV star in the 60s. His father was a violinist; recorded w/ Caruso. His mother was Alma Gluck. She sang at the Met.

She was the first opera singer to have a million seller: Carry Me Back to Old Virginny.

I saw E. Z. Jr. in Las Vegas, 1968. He was narrating a piece w/ the local symphony. After that they did Verdi's Requiem. A very l-o-n-g program.

The Verdi work is still done. The other opus appears to have sunk into the desert sands. Anyone remember Gogi Grant?

20. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Neat that you got to see Ephram Zimbalist Jr. in Las Vegas.

Never heard of Gogi Grant, though.