Game: Where in the world was this picture taken?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Dec 28, 2006.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Time for a new one!

This is a famous location, and it has appeared in a number of movies.

Click on my photo to see the picture.

Silly guesses are always welcome!

[This Message was Edited on 12/28/2006]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Up to your old tricks again.

Well, the mountains look like Tibet and the building looks like Southern California. I'd say it's somewhere in between.
  3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

That is an excellent guess; it is definitely somewhere between your house and Lhasa.
  4. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Is this your house???
  5. boltchik

boltchik New Member

ughhhh! This is a hard one, still looking......Kim :)
  6. sisland

sisland New Member

looks like one of those mountian monistaries! Where monks live!
  7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

live downstairs.

NB: According to James Burke, we have "upper and lower classes" due to the invention of the chimney.
  8. mindbender

mindbender New Member

But they've got allot of plowing to do if they're gonna get out for the hollidays

[This Message was Edited on 12/29/2006]
  9. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Good question,looks like a scene from a James Bond film??
    I'll guess at somewhere in Austria.
  10. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

some sort of station, weather station??? I'd say Alps too.

11. elliespad

elliespad Member

Here I go again. I spent 2 1/2 hours last night looking for this, and I'm at it again today. I too thought James Bond movie, but have tried EVERY search combination and NOTHING. Grrrrrrrrr.
  12. elliespad

elliespad Member

You have NO IDEA how excited I am. I finally changed some of the words for my search, and used " Famous Film Location MOUNTAIN PEAKS"

It was the "Mountain Peaks" that finally got me there.

And PLEASE don't tell me I've won a free dinner at its' restaurant, there's NO WAY I'd take a cable car or helicopter ride to get there.
  13. kholmes

kholmes New Member

You got it!

It's the revolving Piz Gloria restaurant on the summit of the Schilthorn in the Swiss Alps, site of Telly Savalas's villainous lair in the 1968 James Bond film, "On Her Majesty's Secret Service." If you've ever seen this film, the sequences shot there are really spectacular, especially the one of Bond skiing down the mountain while pursued by Telly's henchmen.

Here's some more info from the site you found:

The Schilthorn, with the longest aerial cableway in the Alps and the steep, snowy slopes provided the perfect location for thrilling action scenes in the James Bond film "On Her Majesty's Secret Service". An incomparable setting, dramatic views of snow-covered mountain peaks and a modern aerial cableway gliding all the way to the mountain summit, led United Artists to choose the Schilthorn as a stage for their spectacular production. From October 1968 to April 1969, an army of helpers transformed the Schilthorn summit into the "Piz Gloria". A helicopter landing area was constructed, which also doubled as a curling rink in the film.
  14. kholmes

kholmes New Member

And good job to PaulMack and AliGrace for identifying it as a James Bond location.

A search of "James Bond mountain" on Google Images gets you there right away.