Game: where in the world was this picture taken?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, May 6, 2007.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Time for a new one. Maybe Paulmack will post one of his castle pictures this week, but in the meantime, here's a landscape. Where in the world is this (Matt Lauer has gone nowhere near it), and what is significant about it?

This one is a challenge. Clues forthcoming....

2. budmickl

budmickl New Member

I want to be there with no cell phone or computer. It is beautiful!

3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Haven't the faintest. It doesn't even look like you know where.

Very scenic tho.

Reminds me of the time the boss came back from Hawaii w/ a fistfull of snapshots. One of the gals held one up and said, "Gee, this would make a good picture."
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Budmickl: Sorry, you can't drive there, but you can drive on the island.

Rock: I do know where it is, but I had to look up some information about it!

Here are a few clues: The island is 365 miles from a continent. It belongs politically to one continent, but it is geographically part of another. The Romans knew of the island. It's also famous for its wines.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/06/2007]
  5. mezombie

mezombie Member

I'm pretty sure I know the answer from the clues, but I'll sit this one out and let others enjoy this game

Anyhow, my eyes can't handle googling images right now.
  6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Will check back in the morning.
  7. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Is it Madeira? Politically it belongs to Europe, but geographically to Africa. It was known originally to the Romans as the "Purple Islands", but settled by the Portuguese in the 1400's. It is famed worldwide for its Madeira wine. Well, that's my best guess. Hope you had a good night. Kim :)
    [This Message was Edited on 05/06/2007]
  8. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Mediterranean island of Corsica, belongs to France. West of Italy and south of France.

~ Jeannette

9. paulmack

paulmack New Member

I would probably guess at the island of Corsica as well as Jeanette,but only guessing,need to do some Googling.
  10. jaltair

jaltair New Member

... I have a miserable jaw ache! Think I broke the root of a tooth, eeek and owwww!!!!

I didn't answer what is significant ... birthplace of Napoleon Bonaparte?

~ Jeannette
  11. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

It cant be Corsica if it belongs to one continent and is geographically part of another unless Corsica is geographically part of Africa which it cant be.

Hmmmm....I'm confused. Is it one of the Canary Islands????? Belongs to Spain but is off the coast of Africa.....that includes Tenerife, Las Palmas and Gran Canaria.

A good one Ken.

[This Message was Edited on 05/07/2007]
  12. kholmes

kholmes New Member

It is the island of Madeira, known to the Romans as the "purple islands." Madeira belongs to Portugal, which is part of Europe, but it is closer to Africa (about 365 west of the African continent). It's near the Canary Islands, in the Atlantic Ocean. It's famous for its wine and great scenery.

Now, the question is, what is significant about the picture?

Hint: It has to do with the sea cliffs.

13. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Yippee!! Thanks for sharing this pic Ken. :) I don't know the significance of that particular shot, but some of the pictures I saw on the internet were amazing. I want to go there! It took me a while to find it but I had fun playing! Have a great day. Kim :)
  14. kholmes

kholmes New Member

It has to do with the HEIGHT of the Madeira sea cliffs.
  15. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Great game Ken,still no idea of the pictures significance.Will have to do a bit of searching methinks.
    Well done Kim on getting that one,maybe Ken will treat you to a trip to Madeira,lol.
  16. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I'd be happy to give Kim a trip to Madeira for free. Does a month relaxing on Madeira sound good to you, Kim?

Another clue: This village on Madeira is the site of supposedly the second highest sea cliff in the world.
  17. mezombie

mezombie Member

Or a bottle of Madeira wine!
  18. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Or even a Madeira Cake,LOL.
  19. kholmes

kholmes New Member

How about a bottle of Madeira wine for EVERYBODY today!
  20. mezombie

mezombie Member

Hey everybody! Madeira wine for all!

Party at Ken's new home!

We haven't given him a proper housewarming yet,LOL!